Is it just me?!

Members online

5870198F-0E4E-4FEB-956F-3E012EEBA3E0.gif

Happy New Year lads a ladies! Could do with a bit of help and draw on the immense knowledge base of some pros.

I've got a development I'm managing in Brum, new builds, fairly straight forward. I've had 2 separate plasterers in, both have been sh1te. Both promised the world and neither delivered, spent about 3 weeks having to sand the b*ll***s out of corners and easyfill massive divets, sweeps and scrapes out of the walls to get a decent finish for the decorator. It had bobbled and had a really rough finish to it as opposed to it being all shiny and nice.

The entire ground floor is more or less open plan, approx 5m x 9m room @2.4m high. Now, I have no experience plastering, it's a skill I've never tried or wish to to be honest but I've seen plenty of great work done and know roughly whats going on.

My questions are:

A) How much spread/coverage in a guage?
B) How much should you be putting on at a time?
C) Can 1 man do 50sqm ceiling on his own in one hit without it looking shite?

(Using board finish on BG boards FYI)

I can only guess the reason my two muppets have messed up so badly is that they tried to do too much too quickly. They both were on their own and managed to knock out the house in 3/4 days. 1 of them somehow managed to use half the plaster as the other even though they were identical houses. They were roughly 330sqm total.

Any advice would be amazing, also if anyone knows a decent spread around Brum, I've got a bit of work going.

Cheers
Your obviously a bad manager cause you let them skim 2 whole houses without realising there tosh, I’d sack u if I’m honest

A 50sqm ceiling on your own is some graft for a plasterer on his own,but yes there are plasterers that can do that hit and some who can't and would get an extra spread in to help out
A 50m lid, clear run on stilts is a breeze

Am i missing summat hete though that is a good gauge on your own mixing yourself an s**t
I'm in glossop by the way, so not too far from you...
So when the Norfolk Arms open again, pop in , im always there ,im an ugly c**t and my head is the size of a basket ball so you recognise me easy...
I'll buy you a pint..

How much per m2 are you paying? That is only info we need at present to discuss further,and the reason 1 guy used double the bags was because they went in his van.it cones with the perks of the job does free materials
haha, no he didn't. The other guy laid it on so thin in places you could see the scrim and board. The contractor wanted £8m2 so don't know what the spread was getting. I'd assume about £6.

Your managing a development and you haven’t a clue what a plasterer can do can he do this can he do that, it’s not all shiny and nice pay peanuts get monkeys it’s obviously what the lad that hired you did ,it’s bonkers there’s more and more lads coming on here who haven’t a clue fishing for information and it’s always the same it’s the plasterers fault
Yes mate, as I said, I'm not a plasterer. If someone tells you that he can put 50m on and another says 100, who's talking out their arse? If the plastering is s**t, it's the plasterers fault. Just like if the brick work's s**t, it's the brickies fault. Not rocket science

Simples it's down to money and supply and demand. Theres loads of work around even more now because of Brexit...and the top spreads don't go anywhere near builders or developers because not to tar them all with the same brush they are c**ts that want make a large mark up on you and want everything done yesterday and want you to drop everything else to get their work bashed out.
Yes mate I agree, I hear it a lot. We're not like Persimmon and that lot, just small time Father and Son outfit, we do all the other work ourselves except bricks and skim. Hard to find decent trades for site work.

Bit further than I'd travel normally but I'd do it for £15 a metre, any over 2.4m would be £30 a metre labour only.
Thanks for the offer but that's a bit steep. £15\m2 @ 330m = £4950. Say it takes 7 days = £700ish per day... with all due respect, you're a plasterer not a doctor. Thats £182,700 a year if you work 5 days a week