Insulation render rates for the south west region

Members online

When I was plastering contracting, I'd get sites at around 6 a metre skimming labour and pay lads around 3 which was reasonable at the time, my costs were around 60p a metre to cover accountancy fees insurance etc,so the rest was mine. So lads that are skimming for pitances are just lining the pockets of fellas further up the chain.

When I was plastering contracting, I'd get sites at around 6 a metre skimming labour and pay lads around 3 which was reasonable at the time, my costs were around 60p a metre to cover accountancy fees insurance etc,so the rest was mine. So lads that are skimming for pitances are just lining the pockets of fellas further up the chain.
But all the same with waiting for payment, dealing with the builders and having to bank role the work along with all the other subsequent headaches didn't you need that money for your part.
Realistically if you were in the same position tomorrow morning would you be comfortable doing it for any less of a margin than you had back then.

Yes I would to be honest, 3 quid was competitive at the time but I earned really well out of it to compensate for the hassle plus I had my wage too as I was on the tools myself. but my point was, you hear stories of fellas working for 2 quid odd in this day and age and I bet the contractors still going in around 6 a metre, it's a race to the bottom. This was 10 years and rates are now less in some places than then, even with inflation at 3%, can you imagine any other industries where that took place they'd be outrage but for some reasons plasterers just seem to accept it.its the if you don't work for it someone else will attitude.

Yes I would to be honest, 3 quid was competitive at the time but I earned really well out of it to compensate for the hassle plus I had my wage too as I was on the tools myself. but my point was, you hear stories of fellas working for 2 quid odd in this day and age and I bet the contractors still going in around 6 a metre, it's a race to the bottom. This was 10 years and rates are now less in some places than then, even with inflation at 3%, can you imagine any other industries where that took place they'd be outrage but for some reasons plasterers just seem to accept it.its the if you don't work for it someone else will attitude.
at the moment i go in at 8 a metre supplh and fit. i pay subbies a min of 4quid a metre. im a big believer of pay well plaster well

What made you get out of plaster side owls? You just do render now don’t you? The price crash would of killed it abit, but if you still had the internal side and external you’d be wiping Yorkshire out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have recently jumped on domestics and it’s been such a rollercoaster. Pricing a job can be everything you want or you haven’t expected to hear .... Last week pricing 30m2 external mono front of a terrace for 2500 all in and mr Patel told me give me some reasonable price. I asked how much is your budget and what’s reasonable for you - 600 he said.... I was shocked tbh. Stood there for a moment...... and said ok , I can do it....... with a big grin he said when can you start ? Immediately....... when you protect your brand new windows, floor etc,get the scaffold, skip , materials, labourer x2 and do the cleaning afterwards !!!! He Said you are taking the piss ! Other job I got £200 tip for 3 days and f**k knows what is going on tbh. Some people are not leaving On this planet!
And hats down to who can make leaving of 2.50 m2. I was on site @4.50-5.00.

Best I seen on site so far advertised this year is £4.50 a sqm, too many middleman these days, then people wonder why guys jumping from job to job if there is 10p extra.
Fair play to those who make it pay from 2.50 but as long as there's takers for that, rates won't improve.

I have recently jumped on domestics and it’s been such a rollercoaster. Pricing a job can be everything you want or you haven’t expected to hear .... Last week pricing 30m2 external mono front of a terrace for 2500 all in and mr Patel told me give me some reasonable price. I asked how much is your budget and what’s reasonable for you - 600 he said.... I was shocked tbh. Stood there for a moment...... and said ok , I can do it....... with a big grin he said when can you start ? Immediately....... when you protect your brand new windows, floor etc,get the scaffold, skip , materials, labourer x2 and do the cleaning afterwards !!!! He Said you are taking the piss ! Other job I got £200 tip for 3 days and f**k knows what is going on tbh. Some people are not leaving On this planet!
And hats down to who can make leaving of 2.50 m2. I was on site @4.50-5.00.
rates are all over the show.

i have set rates. some bite your hand off some think your taking the piss.....

Best I seen on site so far advertised this year is £4.50 a sqm, too many middleman these days, then people wonder why guys jumping from job to job if there is 10p extra.
Fair play to those who make it pay from 2.50 but as long as there's takers for that, rates won't improve.

i was getting £3.50 full time work in cumbria 2 months ago got fed up travelling ......just under £700 a small plot at the minute piss 2 in 5 days.
not a bad wage for local work...and living in lancs is hardley london expensis.

persimmon homes ..taylor whimpy barratts ....etc etc contol the prices not the lad mixing.
even the site agents are on bonuses for completions.
business will always be business.

when i was a subbie i was getting 2.60 a metre and 5.50 float and set.

now i cant get anyone for less than 9quid float and set. which i agree should be the rate

Last on site when I was 23 was getting £3 skim £5.50 dab&skim £6 float&skim I’m 34 now and I bet prices aren’t that now. Whereas your way they’ve gone up and up. £9 is a good wack.

i was getting £3.50 full time work in cumbria 2 months ago got fed up travelling ......just under £700 a small plot at the minute piss 2 in 5 days.

persimmon homes ..taylor whimpy barratts ....etc etc contol the prices not the lad mixing.
Fair enough algee, I couldn't make 2.50 pay, hats off to you :tanguero:. I'd just get my coat and get a job at aldi.
I understand you have no control over the prices, the only thing you can do is either take it or leave it.
You, Scott, gibbo and the rest is in a different league mate.

And just to add..... skimming boards is the easiest money you can ever earn.

i know tack/dabers on 2k a week.
pure animals looks like there doing it for fun.
1 northern mad c**t i know kept 3 gangs of skimmers going alone.
an absolute beast paying over £400 a week tax.
the cumbrian tacker i followed was on £3 tack.....he had to open a business account because of the 90 k a year he was earning.
theres money in all of it tack skim render.
its finding the system(y)(y)(y)

That’s some going, site days I started off 2 coating always with fresh stuff and that’s how I do it and always done it, but when everyone else was running away with it running the beads and scrim and one bombing that’s when I started making abit. Just doing rolling gauges Big gorilla tub both chuck on, I’d drop back flatten and trowel while other lad Just mixed bag and half gorillas troweling till dinner, then round the clock again. How do you do your sets algeeman?

the cumbrian tacker i followed was on £3 tack.....he had to open a business account because of the 90 k a year he was earning.
Fair enough

That’s some going, site days I started off 2 coating always with fresh stuff and that’s how I do it and always done it, but when everyone else was running away with it running the beads and scrim and one bombing that’s when I started making abit. Just doing rolling gauges Big gorilla tub both chuck on, I’d drop back flatten and trowel while other lad Just mixed bag and half gorillas troweling till dinner, then round the clock again. How do you do your sets algeeman?

usually drunk or hungover.

Fair enough

id rather tack/dab than skim on price.
im just to f**k**g slow !!
i couldnt make it pay.
its rare you find lads that can do the lot on price alone and do 60k a year.
ive only met a handfull who can but never alone.
its turned into factory work.

you'd have to be sick in the head staring at skim all day without any release mate.

I set most the jobs up and have my lads coming after me skimming, I prefer the prep to skim unless it’s something out the ordinary then I’m all over it. Getting a ritmo Friday once I’ve got used to it going back for the skim set up, I’ll spray you flatten and trowel. Plot a day

id rather tack/dab than skim on price.
im just to f**k**g slow !!
i couldnt make it pay.
its rare you find lads that can do the lot on price alone and do 60k a year.
ive only met a handfull who can but never alone.
its turned into factory work.

any how zolco ....theres more to life than money.
the more i earn the more these girls spend....so £1 £2 £3 a metre i really couldnt care less....i just enjoy the peace at work if im honest ;)

I set most the jobs up and have my lads coming after me skimming, I prefer the prep to skim unless it’s something out the ordinary then I’m all over it. Getting a ritmo Friday once I’ve got used to it going back for the skim set up, I’ll spray you flatten and trowel. Plot a day

What will you spray? Multi, board or thistle spray or mp?

im sure ive had this with vincolian.
yes you spray in 2 hours and go home.
il stay and trowel the house!!

f**k it ....il do it for a fast charger.
my kids keep wrecking mine.

What will you spray? Multi, board or thistle spray or mp?

Anything that’s on spec, just getting it to aid my body. Got tennis elbow few year back and like a clown tried to work through it, I thought I’d caught it on a scaff bolt, typical bloke thinking it would go away. Nearly pulled the tendon off the bone, not been right since. Shoulder, wrist everything suffered from it. Love work and like algeeman says the peace that comes with it. 2 boys at home and girl due in January mad house.

Tell me about it. Reason I wanted a change was to get away from all this rush on site. I really slowed down now and planes to do it for a long time now , but on site it’s impossible.

the machines do sound promising....but everything still needs beaded taped cleaned out
loaded out water etc.
a draw back to machines is s**t gear wether its flash setting or stones.
it takes under a minute to clean a bin and drill.
the spray wont prep any shite boarding either.

but the machine is the way forward.
hopefully it will add a few years onto our lives.....i cant stand breathing plaster in everyday.
the lads who jumped onto machines have my upmost respect to be honest.

the machines do sound promising....but everything still needs beaded taped cleaned out
loaded out water etc.

hopefully it will add a few years onto our lives.....i cant stand breathing plaster in everyday.
He'll if it makes our lives a bit easier and allows us stay at it for a few more years then it's got to be a bonus (I think )

loaded out water etc.

I can’t see skim set up getting used much, I agree with you on that you need to get a feel for the wall with your trowel, and by time you’ve prepped everything your already away. Some jobs are like that with the diesel, easier handballing than taping sheeting and cleaning the f**k*r out. Mp75 uni onecoat and hardwall will be a lot easier with the ritmo though.

I can’t see skim set up getting used much, I agree with you on that you need to get a feel for the wall with your trowel, and by time you’ve prepped everything your already away. Some jobs are like that with the diesel, easier handballing than taping sheeting and cleaning the f**k*r out. Mp75 uni onecoat and hardwall will be a lot easier with the ritmo though.

im mainly house bashing topspread.....its a f**k**g nightmare fixing everyones shite before i even start.