hygroscopic salts in chimney breast

farhi

Hi, hope someone can give me some advise.

A few years ago we had the attic all replastered after stripping down the wallpaper. We noticed a damp patch on the chimney breast and just assumed it was the plaster taking time to dry out. After painting it and that damp patch coming and going, i did lots of research and found it was hygroscopic salts, the damp patch tastes salty too, i licked the wall hee hee ;)
Anyway, im sick of having the dehumidifier on all the time so sanded down the paint, right back to the plaster and sprayed some Salt Neutraliser on the chimney breast. The damp patch is still there!!!!! I was hoping to save money this way. Ive sprayed it several times now:cry::endesacuerdo:
Please help. Its only the top corner of the attic chimney breast but that damp patch shows through on magnolia painted walls.
Help :(

Sometimes when ive plastered a big room i scrape the floor around the edges first then run the scraper through the middle so I think ive only got too 2 small rooms to clean.
The morale of the story is
"Its boring and who cares"

Chimneys should always be vented. It could be cold bridging from there being a clump of sh*te in the flue....

Hi, hope someone can give me some advise.

A few years ago we had the attic all replastered after stripping down the wallpaper. We noticed a damp patch on the chimney breast and just assumed it was the plaster taking time to dry out. After painting it and that damp patch coming and going, i did lots of research and found it was hygroscopic salts, the damp patch tastes salty too, i licked the wall hee hee ;)
Anyway, im sick of having the dehumidifier on all the time so sanded down the paint, right back to the plaster and sprayed some Salt Neutraliser on the chimney breast. The damp patch is still there!!!!! I was hoping to save money this way. Ive sprayed it several times now:cry::endesacuerdo:
Please help. Its only the top corner of the attic chimney breast but that damp patch shows through on magnolia painted walls.
Help :(
Hmmmm :estudioso: is it just wall licking ? Or is it Windows too? We have a trained team of counsellors :sisi:

This is a pic of the chimney breast. The paint has been sanded. Ive gone down to the plaster and have then used salt neutraliser spray. There is a darker patch between the slanted ceiling and chimney, thats where it is really salty.

Attachments

• IMG_4611.JPG
    IMG_4611.JPG
    685.1 KB · Views: 1,578
A close up of the chimney breast. Hope you can see the darker patch along the slant.
The vent is also not on the chimney breast itself. Its always been in that corner beside the breast itself

Attachments

• IMG_4607.JPG
    IMG_4607.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,817
Possibly be soot contamination?..hack off effected area +300 mm beyond and fix on membrane and replaster.
or you could be buying salt neutraliser for ever.(y)

Possibly be soot contamination?..hack off effected area +300 mm beyond and fix on membrane and replaster.
or you could be buying salt neutraliser for ever.(y)

Is soot contamination the same as salt contamination? How much will the membrane be for that size? Would i need to hack off all the plaster on the chimney and membrane it?:)Or could i just hack off that piece ive sanded and put membrane on? I wonder if membrane come in smaller sizes?

Is soot contamination the same as salt contamination? How much will the membrane be for that size? Would i need to hack off all the plaster on the chimney and membrane it?:)Or could i just hack off that piece ive sanded and put membrane on? I wonder if membrane come in smaller sizes?

it tastes different -------- :inocente::lol: smokey

its gypsum plaster

Hack it off back to brick.
It shouldn't be on there, gypsum is like a sponge with water.
It absorbs everything.
Chimneys are prone to having build ups of salts and contaminants from when used as a fireplace.

You need to hack it all of.
Make sure there is no leak and then take it from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hack it off back to brick.
It shouldn't be on there, gypsum is like a sponge with water.
It absorbs everything.
Chimneys are prone to having build ups of salts and contaminants from when used as a fireplace.

You need to hack it all of.
Make sure there is no leak and then take it from there

Thank you for your help. Thats going to be a big job isnt it? :rayos: What plaster would be needed to redo it? Would i need to have one of those damp membrane thingies on the brick before the new plaster goes back on top? Do you have any idea, the cost of the chimney being replastered again?

Could anyone recommend a membrane to put on the brick before replastering please, something cheap and cheerful please :D

If you want a cheap option use treated battens with some dpc behind them, then board and skim.
If you want to do it properly I'd fix the membrane to the wall after all plaster is removed. Then dot an dab an skim.
Neither is a big job really.
If you put where your from you should get a contact off the forum.

We use Sov Chem membranes but you can get them anywhere online. You only need the 3mm mesh one for above ground.
Cheaper than the thicker ones.

If you want a cheap option use treated battens with some dpc behind them, then board and skim.
If you want to do it properly I'd fix the membrane to the wall after all plaster is removed. Then dot an dab an skim.
Neither is a big job really.
If you put where your from you should get a contact off the forum.

We use Sov Chem membranes but you can get them anywhere online. You only need the 3mm mesh one for above ground.
Cheaper than the thicker ones.

Thank you :)

Forget membrane just sand and cement and vent the chimney

So i need to hack off all the plaster on that chimney breast to the brick, then sand and cement it? Does cement dry a grey colour? And can i just paint as usual?
Sorry, im new at all this :)

So i need to hack off all the plaster on that chimney breast to the brick, then sand and cement it? Does cement dry a grey colour? And can i just paint as usual?

U need to skim the sand and cement.

In they it's cheaper but you need to remove all the traces of gypsum or it could affect the new finish.
Not worth the hassle of scraping every last bit off!