how would you deal with this?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

Right, I'll try and keep this brief, I'm on my phone, so apologies in advance for any typos.

I stripped and re-rendered a big end terrace in august 2014, job complete customer happy, paid up no problem.

However, the neighbour (well say Mr Smith for the sake of it) complained throughout the job, a small piece of old render dropped onto his outhouse roof and cracked a piece of his guttering, and there was a little bit of debris on his property, he made sure we knew by telling us everyday about it, my reply was let me finish the job and I will sort any problems out before we go.

Job finished, and I replaced damaged guttering and swept the whole of his garden, now Mr smiths house was not what you'd call well kept, he was a hoarder, he had a fetish for paper and wood and what I did see of the inside of his house was boxes high to the ceiling, like the sort of stuff you'd see on channel 4, the garden was overgrown with brambles, putting it politely it was a shithole.

After completion I asked him if he was happy and all was good, "yes" he replied.

November I had had 2 emails from him complaining again, so I rung him and left a message to call me, never did, again I left it.

End of November I find a letter he has sent, hand written, explaining to me that we had cracked a load of roof tiles, caused damp, broken his guttering, blocked his guttering which had caused water to leak through his door and ruin his carpet, so I called him on the number he provided, it was a dud number.

So I called him on the original number and asked him why he hadn't called me, couldn't answer, I asked him how he knew we'd broke roof tiles his reply he'd been on the roof, it's about 60ft high so I know he hasn't, I asked him if he had any pictures of the damage we had allegedly caused, no, I asked him what he wanted me to do, he said nothing because he had fixed it all himself, I explained that me and the labourers thoroughly cleaned his property and that no tiles were broken because I checked and the scaffolder made sure no scaffolding was touching his roof, for that very reason.

I spoke to the subcontractors and they have all said the same, and one of them mentioned that Mr Smith was looking to sell his house and was going to do it up, and that he was trying it on.

I assumed this matter was closed in November, I politely apologised if we had caused any disruption but firmay believe we didn't cause any damage.

Last night, another email, his guttering is blocked and now he wants a new length, he has obviously spent time on my website as he has quoted me on stuff on there,

Whats bugging me is, we closed the matter twice, he accepted on 2 occasions that he was happy, no for a 3rd time he has come back to me, it annoys me he just doesn't ring.

My plan is too visit him and clean his downpipe, not replace, before I do anything I want his signature on a piece of paper saying he has no.problems with the way we have left things.

Obviously this guy has spent time on my site and could easily leave negative feedback, but I am getting annoyed he keeps contacting me time and time again after telling me he is happy, then changing his mind.

What your thoughts guys?

Personally I don't think he's got any case and has obviously got nothing better to do! I would make sure you reply to his emails politely explaining how you have replaced the 'damaged' guttering and cleaned up any mess and he was happy with that on all occasions. Then you have it recorded you are doing things right. Then off record go round and tell the c*unt to get fuc*ed and if he carries this **** on and wasting your time there will be trouble lol

See, nothing better to do, he must just sit there creating problems in his head that he can accuse you of. I wouldn't worry about it but it is annoying! You've already done more than enough to try and be right with him

Yeah as hood says make sure you reply to emails just for a record,sometimes es people are oblivious to the problems their properties already have,all it takes is for a contractor to work next door and when they've gone start looking for problems,"the fence is wobbly must be them builders etc, when actually it was always fu@#$d,we all get them from time to time some worse than others.

My worry is him taking to the net and posting negative reviews, if he does I will take this further than he would like to go and pursue him for loss of earnings.

I'm not going to tell him this but if anythings appears on my feedback leads I won't be happy, for a start he isn't the customer.

Regarding his house, it is fooked, he has wooden guttering/facia that was rotting and ready for replacing.

I'll keep you all updated.

Next time you see him face to face get the conversation recorded from your phone when he agrees everything's fine. He doesn't seem like the type to agree to sign anything.

He sounds bored if his gutter is blocked and it's full of render then Fair play but if it's leaves then show him, if his roof has been repaired it should be visible to see. I don't know how he can leave you bad feedback on your own site how does that work? or are you on about **** like rated?

Just go clean his down pipe, and do it front of him, if it's full of render then I guess it may b down to you but if it's full of leaves and moss, invoice the f**k*r heavily. Even if he never pays up, there's a gd chance he might not ring again, just seems this guy is after freebies

View attachment 4394

That's after, possibly a bit has dropped down from client roof and into his gutter after we took plastic bag out, but it will be minimal, I might pop over when over my way home and take a look.

Don't understand why it's took 5 months though and why he hasn't just called me.

I cant believe your giving them anymore of your time ... you'll just be getting more calls and hassle from him .... knock it on the head m8

Its as simple as tell him how it is and any slander etc he'll end up in court ....

The reviews are not mybuilder or rated, just freeindex which is displayed on home.page of my site.

Basically all reviews go straight onto home page, wouldn't look to clever if anybody visited my site and this cum splash had gone gobbin off

Take it off your site and have your own reviews from customers which you can pick and choose and even make up ;)

download call recorder app from playstore. phone him and run through everything you have done. hopefully he'll agree and you'll have it all recorded to use against the cantankerous old tw4t in the future. if he doesnt agree ask him why and why it has taken so long to get back to you etc. you only have to tell him youre recording him if youre going to sell him insurance or a mortgage etc

Hello Mark, thank you for your email, I was under the impression that after out conversation in November that we had cleared up any issues you had as you said you had fixed the problems you are having, again, I apologised on the phone for some minor damage that we may have caused which we rectified upon job completion and also for the damage you claimed we had caused, which i am 100% sure was not the fault of MAC Plastering or any sub-contractors we used.

I have spoken to somebody professionally regarding this matter, and have been advised to obtain your signature before I carry out any sort of work on your property, your signature will be an agreement that you are happy with the way your property was left (which you have already said twice), that you will not slander MAC Plastering or harass anyone at MAC Plastering for works/damage you have no proof has been caused by MAC Plastering.

Please bare in mind I have 30/40 pictures of the works we carried out on your neighbours property and some of these include areas you claim we have caused damage, I have also, again, spoken to my scaffolders who assure me that no damage was visible on your roof, and are willing to sign this statement, as are all sub-contractors and labourers who worked on said project.

So far I have on record you trying to place fault with MAC Plastering for the following.

Broken guttering
Blocked guttering
Damp
Damaged carpets
Broken tiles
Broken ridge tiles
Debris on road/walkway

I am willing to meet you and clear the bottom section of down pipe on the front of the house only, this will only happen after you agree and sign to the terms I have been instructed to set out, I will then consider this matter closed for the final time and any further contact regarding this matter will be ignored or reported.

Chris @ MAC Plastering

Very tempted to send this over

View attachment 4394

That's after, possibly a bit has dropped down from client roof and into his gutter after we took plastic bag out, but it will be minimal, I might pop over when over my way home and take a look.

Don't understand why it's took 5 months though and why he hasn't just called me.

tell him ull come back to clean gutter and wash then on the fact in front of him he must be present if any render is foubd then ok if theres leaves or anything thats not plaster releated then u will charge him for your time and labouroures time and make him sign somthing

I might stick something on the end about charging him if it's not 100% render that comes out of the end of the down pipe.

I don't want to sound funny @mac but you need to stop airing your dirty laundery for all to see mate!

fairdos run thing by people on here but attaching photos of said propertys and intended letters etc is a bit to close to bone for me.

P.S im not questioning your not at fault but sooner or later your guna drop yourself in it mate!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the pics you might be causing the problem I'm not an expert on roofs and gutters but there is a lot of rain water coming off that roof into that small pipe into that gutter, sure it should have a bend to slow it down or maybe run onto the roof but could be wrong. And I wouldn't send the letter your admitting something :) looks the same as original so I suppose it's not your fault but might be a problem

I don't want to sound funny @mac but you need to stop airing your dirty laundery for all to see mate!

fairdos run thing by people on here but attaching photos of said propertys and intended letters etc is a bit to close to bone for me.

P.S im not questioning your not at fault but sooner or later your guna drop yourself in it mate!

In what way, if the guy in question came on here I have nothing to hide.

im asking for opinions and advice, I'm not really "airing" anything, you could say the same about thousands of threads.

as for the other thread regarding pricing, I wanted feedback regarding time of year.

Looking at the pics you might be causing the problem I'm not an expert on roofs and gutters but there is a lot of rain water coming off that roof into that small pipe into that gutter, sure it should have a bend to slow it down or maybe run onto the roof but could be wrong. And I wouldn't send the letter your admitting something :) looks the same as original so I suppose it's not your fault but might be a problem

all guttering is original, customer responsibility to change, not mine

@mac,

All im trying to say bud is at the end of the day your splashing your Company name and airing your disputes regarding a customer/customer neighbour.

You've attached a pic of the property and gone into details and typed a proposed email for all to see.

iMO its all a bit unproffesional considering its a public domain.

By all means if you haven't disclosed your company name or the customers house then you could go into as much detail as you like as ultimately its just hyperthetical then.

Just don't think its the way...maybe just me mate being old school! ???:RpS_confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate the concern, but we're not talking about a massive dispute, it's somebody trying it on over a bit of guttering and wanting a new carpet.

no problem using my name, I have nothing to hide, iv not lied or been massively dis-respectful of the guy, Iv removed the photos but in no way do I say where the house is, could be anywhere in the country.

i wanted advice on how best to deal with it, as I have never really had this with anyone.

the guy keeps pestering me and I'm not sure how to deal with it, I thought I'd ask on here first instead of getting into an arguement with him.

as for this being a public forum, it is in one respect but you must sign up to access posts, like iv said I wouldn't mind if said guy came on here now, the facts would still be the same.

It also gets a tad boring reading multiple threads on uni-finish, how too threads and how much one should mix PVA and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.