how to stop the mess

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
any1 had any probs with the cold rendering this week?

i got 5 outside jobs to do now but havent started any yet

sprayed yesterday afternoon and frozen this morning........so went and did some beading, by this time the sun had come round and thawed it out so we could finish it.

thw wall we sprayed yesterday hadn't frozen was lovely to scrape down , went and done some beading round the other side of the building and the muck was freezing as i was sticking the beads

it doesn't always fail nick sometimes the lime just blooms out a bit so long as it doesnt freeze solid then you should be ok , you need to be carefull if the blockwork is wet or if they forecast a sharp frost then you can get problems , you need to be carefull and use your own judgement

tops of the walls we done yesterday caught the frost the bottoms was still soft, we just use the d-tack rich and tape it underneath cill

I have some of that d tack but havent unrolled it yet to see how it works ..... maybe i need to invest in some masking tape as well

I find the no nonsense grey cloth tape from screwfix works well....it's low tack so doesn't take paint off windows but still sticky enough to go over face bricks. always keep a small, sharp pair of scissors handy in ur pockets cos there's nothing worse than being up a ladder on ur own having unrolled a big length of foil and not being able to cut it so you stick it up there and run down the ladder only to hear it ripping off all what you just stuck :mad: when I mask a window I run the grey tape all round tight up against the stops which are about 2mm off the window frame, then select the correct size foil and unroll it down the right hand side of the window frame leaving about an inch at the top. allow enough at the bottom to cover sill and go underneath. If the foil is too long roll it in on itself before sticking with the grey tape cos once the overspray hits saggy masking it gets in the way and stops the gun from reaching tight up into beads. get used to using the grey tape as an almost virtual bead in itself by using it to create sharp lines at the bottom of reveals from the window stop out to the bottom of the angle bead on the reveal...be fussy about this sort of stuff it shows at the end :)

Goody you should have been a writer, on your next post can you please explain how to tie shoe laces? I want to hear how good you are.

hey mc not trying to show off.......although I do go on a bit so the missus says!! have seen sloppy masking and its results and have cleaned enough brickwork with acid behind these people to be fussy these days......anyone new to spraying should overdo this bit of the job just to be safe in the early days blah blah blah......THE END. :)

It was good advise Goody, for people who are new to spraying as you said it is best practice to be meticulous with masking in order to avoid the disappointment of overspray. Nobody wants a call where you have to go back and clean buildings for the sake of £3 roll of tape or cover up it's a no brain er fellas.

That w**k*r simps made me buy some scratch pads last week ........ First time in 15 years that I've ever had to buy any :eek:( ......... Still made up for it yesterday I managed to steal to outta the office of the firm we're workin for :eek:) ..... And 3 rolls of gaffer tape and a roll of polythene :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.