How to set your stall

Members online

I can remember slight when I first started out that my master could put a gauge on at 7:30 8 latest and the finish troweling at 9:30. Yea it was only a bag and what ever it took to lay down. But if I were to do that I'm sure it would take a lot longer. I'm guna leave the walls abit longer in between trowling try n catch it a bit better as my prob is I don't think the finish will be as good?

I thought I did ok only prob was the time scale I. Started to mix at 8.30 and finished for 11.30. With that I got about 25-30m2 on blue grit. Made it a lot easier when I came to do the other 3 walls. But then again was a bit longer then expected. Loved my spatula took a while to get balance but loved it
Dont worry about the time it takes you, the main thing is make sure its spot on. Did u go for the ceiling, a wall + reveals 1st gauge? Was it comfortable, if so next time do the ceiling + two walls then the other two next gauge.

I felt ok with it maybe abit too eager with trowelling up early not letting it pull in. But I was waiting ages for it. My prob is if I wait too long it may of set to a point where I can't get it bk. need to experiment. Plus it was on blue grit. And that blisters like f**k

Put a nice decent coat on first to cover your grit Speedskim it off I normally put two decent walls on them spat it , give it ten av a fag or summat plenty round here [emoji16] then if you need to lay down not on your back though , if gears hanging knock half a tub up put some reveals on side of a breast my fave if they are out [emoji106] then use new gear to lay down if you do all that and it's still piss make yourself at home cheese sarnie out fridge etc you will get there young Jedi you just need to push yourself a bit to know what you can cope with don't be one of these full kitchen board the ceiling fill the chases PVa/grit bead tape up skim the lot 70 a day geezers you will achieve nothing now I'm going bk to my red stripe I had to by some today as some fekker mentioned it on here peace out bro

As my old trades man would say there is a difference between scratching your erse and tearing it.lol. Never a true'r word spoken.

Room in 2 sets is to hard for me did it once and was knackered, I like doing ceiling and the 2 insets of the fireplace, 2 walls and chimney breast sides then window wall anf chimney breast front...nice and calm and takes a day and a half

Also think id end up in a muddle doing rolling sets, would be chasing my arse all day

Room in 2 sets is to hard for me did it once and was knackered, I like doing ceiling and the 2 insets of the fireplace, 2 walls and chimney breast sides then window wall anf chimney breast front...nice and calm and takes a day and a half

I use to pick out the ceiling and the window wall with reveals then you are left with 3 walls for the next set... or.... I would do teh reveals while I was clearing up to go :D

You will get the hang of it in time :D

Your method is bang on as it should be, speed comes in time. The main reason for doing opposites is it takes 'wet angling' out of the equation. One of the Keys to decent skimming work is knowing what mix to use in different weather conditions.

But every spreader works different, I personally never 'wet angle' as I don't have the speed these days.

But I have met Spreaders who can easy wack on 6-7 walls, stop for breakfast and then trowel up :) absolute animals and top top rank at what they do.

You might hate it hail, but there isn't enough work involved for a laborour when skimming, I'm lazy now and I still wouldn't have one when skimming, just doesn't pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might hate it hail, but there isn't enough work involved for a laborour when skimming, I'm lazy now and I still wouldn't have one when skimming, just doesn't pay.

Im s**t on being efficient but if I didnt have a lad who could lay a wall on they would be stood doing nothing 5 hours (atleast) per day so totally agree

My lad only passes to me I have two handboards and mix myself :) can't pay on site to have one they are f**k**g useless. Let me down Monday for the last time and up till today he is still texting is he in tomorrow? I'm laughing with my new one who I f**k*d off ages ago for being on his phone, at which point and on which day will he realise he hasn't got a job anymore? Can't see him texting tomorrow to see if he is on Friday but he is thick as pig s**t :)

I always liked having a labourer... passes the day quicker and they can really clean up at the end... but then it all does come down to money in the end... if you get one thats keen and wants to learn they will earn their keep later on :D

I always liked having a labourer... passes the day quicker and they can really clean up at the end... but then it all does come down to money in the end... if you get one thats keen and wants to learn they will earn their keep later on :D

And if they are really any good they will fook off & do their own thing. [emoji23]
I see it as putting up with a couple of years of hardship & frustration to train up the competition.
Grumpy aren't I [emoji23]

And if they are really any good they will fook off & do their own thing. [emoji23]
I see it as putting up with a couple of years of hardship & frustration to train up the competition.
Grumpy aren't I [emoji23]

the competition will be there anyway

I wish I could afford to have someone to just put in on the wall. I think I would enjoy life much more.

If yous are on 200 a day, surely add a tener to it when pricing and give someone who likes a drink, on the scratcher and aul 30quid for grabbing all your tools, setting up, mixing, cleaning and making the tea. Also helps with boarding and they're well worth it to do all the slabbering work.

Be told hail, it doesn't pay.
If a lad on price is earning 250 on his own, if he pays a laborour on the next house he won't make the same 250, and if he does, it will have been a lot harder work.
Got the t-shirt mate.

Found this thread quite inspiring, not because I need or should be putting big mixes on, but gave me a bit of a nudge to get a bit more efficient and active with my own lot. Been working on my lonesome this week, doing more plastering at once than I've ever needed too and without sounding like a c**t...it helped!

No £4 a metre up north then Simon?

Not so long ago i bought 12 stellas 1 big bag of dry roasted peanuts and 4 big bags of maltesers.
I bet they tasted the same as the southern bags.
I also just bought a 3 bed house.

I know i could of got a 6 bed house up here or 2 × 3 bed houses for the price of a 3 bed house cost down there.
Id rather take the £2.50m
And id still piss £250 a day.
£4m all sounds good but i would never move back south...+ i get a smile when im served my peanuts !!

I make you right lutons a f**k**g dump

Car got broken into and smashed to bits when went to football at Luton in early 90s. Waiting for pickup, 8 of us got attacked by a group of about 60 Asians, riot vans turned up, they told police to stay away from their areas. At one point I was in a police car going round looking for one of our group and they started chasing the police car. One of them came at my mate with a screwdriver saying he was lucky he didn't bring his gun out that night. Lovely bunch, fun night. Ash road Luton was where it happened....ahh memories.

Car got broken into and smashed to bits when went to football at Luton in early 90s. Waiting for pickup, 8 of us got attacked by a group of about 60 Asians, riot vans turned up, they told police to stay away from their areas. At one point I was in a police car going round looking for one of our group and they started chasing the police car. One of them came at my mate with a screwdriver saying he was lucky he didn't bring his gun out that night. Lovely bunch, fun night. Ash road Luton was where it happened....ahh memories.
Use to go out drinking in Luton. .. always ended in a scrap

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Not so long ago i bought 12 stellas 1 big bag of dry roasted peanuts and 4 big bags of maltesers.
I bet they tasted the same as the southern bags.
I also just bought a 3 bed house.

I know i could of got a 6 bed house up here or 2 × 3 bed houses for the price of a 3 bed house cost down there.
Id rather take the £2.50m
And id still piss £250 a day.
£4m all sounds good but i would never move back south...+ i get a smile when im served my peanuts !!

He is in Ireland @algeeman.
And I'm with you brother, in England, north over south all day long.
We even speak to each other on a train too lol!!! B

No £4 a metre up north then Simon?

Not hundred percent sure what it is, bout 2.25ish float and skim a sq foot, give or take. But that's floor space not wall size. Metrage subbin F and S, less than 5 last I heard.