How to set your stall

Members online

No members online now.
your probs going to get board but me been a keeno I'm sure this will all wear off.

When setting out I've always been told to do when skimming

Your ceilings first with your window reveals.
Then 2 walls being opposite to each other and then the other 2 walls that are left ( that are also opposite so your angles are hard and straight)

Great stuff!!!

But how do you go about it I've always waited till the gauge is set then mix your next gauge do on and so on.

With me recently buying the refina spatula and plazi will this make things quicker I.e flatten to a point. Then mix another gauge and then roll on roll off from there?

Push urself a bit more, if ur jus putting ceiling + reveals on ur prob waiting around for it go off, try doing the ceiling + a wall or ceiling + two walls (up + over), by time its on + flattened itl be ready to lay in. As long as the rooms not huge that is!

Is that even possible? Angle trowel or not how's that even possible and if so how?
In a sensible sized room yeah its possible, just because the angle is wet it doesn't mean you can't get it straight. If the boarding is shite your going to struggle either way, if its nice and flat then wet angles wont change that.

Fire the lot on, angle trowel it- trowel it. Repeat each trowel until complete. Lovely.

£

If your doing domestic work you'd rarely do more than up and over so alot of people will call it bad practice but fast and good is possible.

If your doing domestic work you'd rarely do more than up and over so alot of people will call it bad practice but fast and good is possible.
Only bad practice if ur putting on more than ur comfortable with + make a balls up of it, i always figure if im standing around waiting for it i could of put another wall on.

I was taught to get the lid on and a few reveals...

then do walls... I like wet angles so I always did 2 and then 2 or whatever...

But one thing I learnt when I wanted to get a wiggle on would be to top out quickly :)

So for example...

stick wall "A" and "B" on then start sticking "C" on then drop back and 2nd coat wall "A" then stick Wall "D" on then second coat wall B" then wall "C" will be Ready then "D" will be...

But if you feel you're chasing getting the second coat on really slows it all down :)

Speed comes get the quality right as mentioned in another thread :) No one cares if your good and slow they will moan if your rough :)

I've got a job 2moro it's all prepped with blue grit. I've got my refina gear that I've never use mind but feeling confident that I can get the lid and 4 walls in a day. I will take your advice Danny. Wish me luck

only do what you feel you can do :) it's gonna be fricken hot tomorrow :)

I'm guna go for it. If it works I can go through a lot of work that I have piling up. I will do A B walls see if A is pulling in too quickly then go for C if the feelings right lol I'm sure I will be ok as bond it tends to blister if you trowel up too quickly

I'm guna go for it. If it works I can go through a lot of work that I have piling up. I will do A B walls see if A is pulling in too quickly then go for C if the feelings right lol I'm sure I will be ok as bond it tends to blister if you trowel up too quickly
On blue grit mate ul be fine, just do the ceiling, a wall + reveals start of with so ur not overdoing it then do the other 3 walls 2nd gauge, i find on blue grit it stays wet for ages so can put a bit extra on + flattens off easily!

On a standard average modern house with 50m2 ish rooms I will usually do a room in two sets,ceiling,reveals and a wall first then the second set do the other three walls.the third set of the day I go in the next room and do the ceiling,reveals and a wall again.next time you get a room with either nice flat walls or plasterboard and not many fiddly bits like cables and sockets etc then have a go,do the lid then one wall and if you have time do the reveals.

On a standard average modern house with 50m2 ish rooms I will usually do a room in two sets,ceiling,reveals and a wall first then the second set do the other three walls.the third set of the day I go in the next room and do the ceiling,reveals and a wall again.next time you get a room with either nice flat walls or plasterboard and not many fiddly bits like cables and sockets etc then have a go,do the lid then one wall and if you have time do the reveals.
3 sets!?

Working buy myself I don't do 3 sets a day. As you have floor protection. Getting tools in and materials filling of buckets up. Beading and scrimming. Or would u get a labourer

Yes I do three per day,of late I have been two coating with the same gear it takes around two/two and a half hours per set.
I work alone so mix up myself ,this way I only mix up three times instead of four,the sets are quicker so breaks the day up for me and also feel I am putting less effort in to do the same amount of work,when I was doing two big sets they seemed to drag on,I much prefer to do it this way if I can,it took a little getting used to but got the timings down to a tee now so suits me well.

Like your style, not sure about the 3 sets tho, twos enough for me, u must be making a fortune! [emoji6]

Yes I do three per day,of late I have been two coating with the same gear it takes around two/two and a half hours per set.
I work alone so mix up myself ,this way I only mix up three times instead of four,the sets are quicker so breaks the day up for me and also feel I am putting less effort in to do the same amount of work,when I was doing two big sets they seemed to drag on,I much prefer to do it this way if I can,it took a little getting used to but got the timings down to a tee now so suits me well.

I suppose if ur putting a bit less on then it works out well, once a week we claim 2moro is going to be 3 sets to make a bit extra. 2pm were on the way home lol can't break the habit of 2 a day

Same as myself, I'll have three 'smaller gauges' or two big ones depending on the gear and the size of rooms I'm in etc.
Do you lay down with the same gear?

I can't see how you can do a room in 2 sets. Wat if it had a chimney Breast with a window still manageable? I do need to work on speed that's why I'm hopefull of this refina kit I've got hopefully it will

Forget a labourer for skimming, doesn't pay
I'm pretty dammed busy at the min and people keep saying get a lad but all a lad can do for me most days is scrim,bead,mix up and clean up so an hours work max so I don't see the point,maybe when I get a bit older il be grateful of the extra pair of hands to take off some of the load but can't see how it will benefit me atm.:)

I can't see how you can do a room in 2 sets. Wat if it had a chimney Breast with a window still manageable? I do need to work on speed that's why I'm hopefull of this refina kit I've got hopefully it will

once you get the hang of it you'll see your sets differently, you'll put more wet angles on to save cleaning down hard angles where possible. If im in a room thats too big to put the lot on i'll do the ceiling and two walls that are touching rather than opposites

If it had a window + chimney breast id do ceiling, 1 wall + 2 sides of chimney breast + reveals if can jus to break it all up a bit then still done in two gauges.

cheers guys. Bin advised as well to do walls a and b and c go by to a 2nd coat then start d then follow on b c d with 2nd coat. What's your thoughts on that?

Its not something i've ever done, always seemed like a needless ballache to me if you don't have a massive ceiling or something where a rolling set is beneficial. As i say though, i've not tried it so it could be great