How to embed granite shelves in a Tadelakt Shower?

Tim Lancer

I've been learning how to apply Tadelakt for the past year from Ryan Chivers out of Artesano Plaster. Last week, and after tons of practice, I finally applied Tadelakt to a finish wall ( See pic below )

The wall in the pic is of an accent wall in a Bathroom. However the next wall where Tadelakt will be applied is a shower, which brings up some interesting problems. In this shower will be 3 triangle granite 1 1/4" thick shelves. All of these shelves will be going up the same corner and about 15" apart from one another. The sides of each shelf will be around 2.5' to 3' feet long.

With typical tiled showers these shelves would be directly embedded in the thinset and supported by both the tile and the thinset. However, and what I'm worried about, is that the Tadelakt will not be strong enough to support the weight of the shelves. The reason being that Tadelakt does not use thinset. Instead, Tadelakt is applied over a base coat stucco that has been applied directly to Hardi board. On top of the Stucco goes 4 small layers of Tadelakt. The total thickness of all four layers Tadelakt is at the most 1/4" thick.

Question
What is the best way to support shower shelves embedded in Tadelakt?

Video for more details:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u1f1iebuajxw91/2017-05-22 07.24.52.mov?dl=0

Attachments

• 2017-05-22 06.55.01.jpg
    2017-05-22 06.55.01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 338
Hi Tim,I've never used tadalakt but I apply microcement.i would screw timber and then cap it in hardibacker and apply micro to it and if needed set granite on before and work to it,although I wouldn't use granite as I think it looks better in same product and flows better.Hipe all goes well.i'll post a pic with an inset shelf shortly.

image.png
image.png
I've been learning how to apply Tadelakt for the past year from Ryan Chivers out of Artesano Plaster. Last week, and after tons of practice, I finally applied Tadelakt to a finish wall ( See pic below )

The wall in the pic is of an accent wall in a Bathroom. However the next wall where Tadelakt will be applied is a shower, which brings up some interesting problems. In this shower will be 3 triangle granite 1 1/4" thick shelves. All of these shelves will be going up the same corner and about 15" apart from one another. The sides of each shelf will be around 2.5' to 3' feet long.

With typical tiled showers these shelves would be directly embedded in the thinset and supported by both the tile and the thinset. However, and what I'm worried about, is that the Tadelakt will not be strong enough to support the weight of the shelves. The reason being that Tadelakt does not use thinset. Instead, Tadelakt is applied over a base coat stucco that has been applied directly to Hardi board. On top of the Stucco goes 4 small layers of Tadelakt. The total thickness of all four layers Tadelakt is at the most 1/4" thick.

Question
What is the best way to support shower shelves embedded in Tadelakt?

Video for more details:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u1f1iebuajxw91/2017-05-22 07.24.52.mov?dl=0

I would do as plas1 suggest loads better
With inset than shelves

Here's one in tile for idea

IMG_0825.JPG

Looks a nice job mate!fairplay.oh and the s**t ruling on my photo was the home owner as I said it would have looked better continuing micro.

yeah tbh mate the plastering was shocking,wish I'd skimmed if myself but it had already been done.Did the floor and other walls aswell.I always say with these finishes but lighting is the most important thing to get right and thought it let it down on this one also.

image.jpeg
yeah tbh mate the plastering was shocking,wish I'd skimmed if myself but it had already been done.Did the floor and other walls aswell.I always say with these finishes but lighting is the most important thing to get right and thought it let it down on this one also.

What you seal your micro with?

I'm not on face book mate but will get my brother too in I morning.Bloodyhell I can't get my Mrs too after the other thread id be ripped to s**t!If anything is to come of it I will give you a buzz mate.