How long would a room take you to skim?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
im with you 1 day 1 man

Is that your sexual preference?:RpS_confused:

Worked with an old timer once who kept going on and on and on "man and boy, me, man and boy!" Asked him the same question and he never spoke to me again. No sense of humour.

As matey said, there are far too many variables regards to these sort of questions, but your bog standard, rectangle 3x4m room, without 3 fireplaces, weird angles etc/

I price them for two days personally, could manage in one long day if I really wanted too, but I prefere to take my time and knock out as small a set as I can afford to do so.. Why price a job for a days money when you can get two days money for it and work at half the speed? Down my way, South London/Surrey, can easily get two good days money for a 3x4m room, unless that drastically changes, I won't start doing them any quicker!

As matey said, there are far too many variables regards to these sort of questions, but your bog standard, rectangle 3x4m room, without 3 fireplaces, weird angles etc/

I price them for two days personally, could manage in one long day if I really wanted too, but I prefere to take my time and knock out as small a set as I can afford to do so.. Why price a job for a days money when you can get two days money for it and work at half the speed? Down my way, South London/Surrey, can easily get two good days money for a 3x4m room, unless that drastically changes, I won't start doing them any quicker!
We skim two rooms normally per day on dayworks, three on price ,but some days lucky to do one, I am on one at the min where they do the patching,bits of bonding,sand and cement internally, its terrible to follow them, I would prefer if they did not 'help'

My view on things is, why the **** do I wanna lay on a ceiling and wall, then three walls with all the reveals, all for a days money, when Im turning somones shithole room into a perfect room that when painted, will look the nuts.. why the **** would I do that, working non stop all day, just for a days money... when you get sparks and gas fitters charging a fortune for what is essentially a physically easy job, and they get time to sit down, drink tea, down tools and enjoy their jobs.. Personally I wanna do the same, so I will put on as much as I feel I want to put on, and still walk away earning a fair wage, I want to enjoy my job, not work my arse off just to pay my bills! Us spreads are the only ones that seem to be expected to kill ourselves for what in essence is just enough to get by and maybe have a night out at the weekend! All those days we get let down by customers, jobs cancel, end up sat at home earning **** all.. its hard enough as it is to earn good money doing this ****, so if Im gonna do it, I wanna make life as easy as possible for me on those days I am working! :)

As far as variables go.. What about those kitchens, where people only want the area between units skimmed, end up taking all day if not more, doing your best to not get electrocuted by all the sockets, not damaging the work tops with your trowel, wet angles coming out your ear holes etc/ Im done struggling with **** like that, if lifes gonna be made awqward for me, I want paying for it! :)

Hahaha there the ones!! Dude, that one wall is all Id bother laying on, **** that ****!! Tell you what though, they are quite satisfying jobs when you stand back at the end and look at just what you have done, when painted theyd have no idea what a **** it was to turn their dated bullshit kitchens into slightly neater, bullshit, dated kitchens. lol

If I remember rightly that was the blokes interpretation of me telling him that the tops would have to be off ............ they just don't know marra :-(

We skim two rooms normally per day on dayworks, three on price ,but some days lucky to do one, I am on one at the min where they do the patching,bits of bonding,sand and cement internally, its terrible to follow them, I would prefer if they did not 'help'

Know that feeling. When help is a four letter word. Kitchen ceiling a few days ago where every drywall had to be sunk because he'd left them all proud by about a quarter inch:RpS_mad: When I asked him why he said his cordless wasn't powerful enough....:huh: And the boards were flapping all over the placeetc. etc.

If you want to earn plumbers wages and do the same amount of work and drink the same amount of tea. Become a ******* plumber

Know that feeling. When help is a four letter word. Kitchen ceiling a few days ago where every drywall had to be sunk because he'd left them all proud by about a quarter inch:RpS_mad: When I asked him why he said his cordless wasn't powerful enough....:huh: And the boards were flapping all over the placeetc. etc.

Always allow time in your price for re-screwing someone elses' board-work, if it's been done right you're on a winner straight away :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
@Freerider I don't blame you at all for working the way you do but why do you assume that those that get stuck in and finish 'the room' in a day are only charging one days money?
Just perhaps they're earning twice as much as you making the sweat worthwhile. I could have taken things easier throughout my working life but chose to work hard instead and now I feel I'm reaping the benefits.
As I said I have no problem with your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
same as andy for me charge 2 days money but crash it out in one in a straight forward room of that size theres no reason not to get ceilin, door wall and window wall on, leaving reveals then afternoon hit of the 2 oppos and revs, seems easy enough:RpS_confused:

i do it like andy if a job looks like 2 days work to most spreads thats what i price it for then if i can do it in one i am on double bubble thats how u get ahead make a bit off cream rather than just haveing a standerd wage all the time but i know not evey one can do that we dont all travel at the same speed

Totally agree Andy! If that's the way you choose and can work, then awesome! Excuse my quite militant and black and white way of explaining things!

Not sure of the point that is trying to be made here????......If you go and look at a job and work your price out on how many days it will take to complete said job, then surly you still give the client a fixed price as in time plus mats = price given. If they agree on price then its is up to you how hard or easy you work to complete the job .That is why its a price and not day work .

I'll do this in one day with me balls hangin out. I'll blow it out me arse, trowel it up and fook off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.