How long would a room take you to skim?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see bullshitting is alive & well in the building trade still!

To put it into some kind of context, I re-skimmed a room last week about the same size the op stated. It was on the third floor of a mansion & when I looked out the window I could see my van about 100m away!
I used 4 bags of hardwall filling in where the 16" skirting came off, the ceiling was 14' high & I used 16 angle beads .....

.... 2 hits & home in time for Countdown anyone?

I looked at a room once and I had to take the carpet out, pull the ceiling down,knock a doorway out fill up another doorway, reduce one window ,enlarge another, rip off skirtings,arkithraves,refit door frames, hack off the render, remove the rad, take off the boiler, re route the waste pipes , move eight sockets, used 25 packs of insulation in the ceiling, re routed the electrics,re boarded after treating for rot and changing some of the joists, it was boarded with three layers of sound board, bonded out , the walls were done in limelight , oh I put a new floor in, dug out the old one, new subfloor, insulation and pipes for under floor heating, done a polished concrete floor with grano chippings,done it in a day and a half ,paid by the hr ,you know the crack

I looked at a room once and I had to take the carpet out, pull the ceiling down,knock a doorway out fill up another doorway, reduce one window ,enlarge another, rip off skirtings,arkithraves,refit door frames, hack off the render, remove the rad, take off the boiler, re route the waste pipes , move eight sockets, used 25 packs of insulation in the ceiling, re routed the electrics,re boarded after treating for rot and changing some of the joists, it was boarded with three layers of sound board, bonded out , the walls were done in limelight , oh I put a new floor in, dug out the old one, new subfloor, insulation and pipes for under floor heating, done a polished concrete floor with grano chippings,done it in a day and a half ,paid by the hr ,you know the crack
holding out for a hero Bonnie Tyler - YouTube

Busy fool!

@finefinishsouthwales

Last edited by a moderator:
Long day on your own. Though being domestic you could turn up and find tiny bits of backing paper all over the walls where they haven't stripped properly. Or maybe you'll get there and they're eating breakfast and watching the telly in the room your about to plaster and haven't moved any of the furniture out of the room. Maybe it's raining and the only place to mix is in the middle of the room and you haven't room to swing a cat. Maybe the water pressure in the bathroom is crap and your jerry can doesn't fit under the tap. Or maybe a bag of multi splits for no reason all over the path or carpet...

If everything goes hunky dory, and the punters have done exactly what you've asked when you priced the job, then a day. Maybe.

if there is other prep the customer needs to do after i have priced the job ill go back and check. If all is fine ill do it in a day if thats what iv priced for anything more will be loosing money.

i am sure BG never intended that there bags should used as poo bags maybe it s something the should consider in the desing stage

When I pull up in my van and get out 8 bags of unifinish all the spreads are well gel, banish variables with unifinish is my motto.

FFS we were talking about a 3 X 4 metre room, now we're onto a delapidated house with no effing toilet.

I spent 3 days on the one I did the other week...

1.5 days in prep... bloody barreled ceiling and all the walls were shot... so needed bonding out :)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.