How long would a room take you to skim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimble

Hi guys, newbie question for you.

As I went straight from a course to plastering for family and friends and only recently for the general population, I have always wondered how much experienced plasterers get done in a day.

So assuming you had a 3x4m room to skim over existing plaster, would you get this done in a day or more? Assuming you had to sheet up,pva, clear up etc.

I work with a friend and it would take us a day, half ceiling and opposite walls each then a new mix and the other 2 walls.

Depends on suction, preparation etc, on new board work on site a two and one would do it in four hours, private work over existing ,so many things that affect it, the walls need to be pva,d then a second pva, might be skim able after a couple of hours, I would prefer a pva the day before and one that morning ,but all in allow what you describe is a days work,regardless .

Ceiling 1 wall and reveals. Other 3 walls in the afternoon. 2 sets. Can be skimmed in a day if all prepped so theoretically 1 day. but including sheeting up. Beading. Pva/micro. Getting your water out of the F*****g bath. I always allow 2 days

Ceiling first and what walls I could manage , I don't do opposites , I use angle trowel.i like to finish one side.

Ceiling, head and 2 smaller opposite walls in first set. Have a cup of tea in my brand new plasterers forum mug. Then finish room in last set, paying extra attention to clean my new plasterers forum mug :RpS_thumbsup:

personally chuck the lid straight on, stick beads and prep walls whilst troweling, then if im feeling hunky all 4 walls, if not, 2 quick hits whilst clean/loading van

Ceiling, head and 2 smaller opposite walls in first set. Have a cup of tea in my brand new plasterers forum mug. Then finish room in last set, paying extra attention to clean my new plasterers forum mug :RpS_thumbsup:
Danny if your reading this, i would skim this room and give the profit to,Danny's favourite charity..

my son and myself would start at 8am,sheet up, scrape as required, 2 coats of pva if needed, 4 full buckets of water, 3 bags multi, put the ceiling and walls all on together, twitch all angles and ceiling lines, finish plastering 12 o clock clean up, polish woodwork, pick up payment from householder home by 1 o clock.

When I used to work with someone we would do a room a hit. Him on stilts doing ceilings and tops. Me doing bottoms and mixing.

these threads and replies make my laugh/annoyed. Everyones a hero aren't they!!!

the truth is theres that many variables ie height of walls, substrates, skirts, arkys, heaven forbid dado rails, chimney breasts, bay windows. doglegs, placement of sockets, radiator brackets, access to water, is the room upstairs, any ruffing out to do bits of boarding etc etc so on so on so on...

the amount of 1man spreads that can and are able to do most rooms I a day all ther own prepping and fetching and carrying, mixing, cleaning etc etc etc are about 1 in a 100 I recon....

site work a totally different animal when you've finished your spreading for the day....golden rule scrim and beadthe next day area before you go that way 8am your spreading you just don't have that luxury on domestics!!!

so my answer is honest min 2 could even be 3 who f******n knows!!!!!!!!!!!!

rant over!!!!!!

everyone says 1 day this 1 day that its a f****n joke

:RpS_thumbdn: then a new plasterer would be in next week to redo it all lol only joking!

a 3or 4 bag hit is a bog standard amount of work, you will answer the phone, have a cup of tea, my son would have a cig. but we have worked together for the last 26 years.
we are at the moment working on a skimmers dream, 3 plasterers no labourer, having two 8 bags hits a day.

hi skimble, lots of good answers on here for you,, any where from 1 to 2 days,, as long as your making money and the clients happy with the job then you ant going far wrong

Start at 7.30 chuck a couple of old dusty sheets down get everything glued up. Whilst waiting for the glue to dry bead up and fetch water. Knock up 4 bags in a big tub smash the room on if the plaster starts going keep knocking it back then flat everything in sit down have a coffee and a sarnie . Sponge everything give it one trowel get the kit in the van and shoot off

There are variables , who,knew , I always wondered why each job was different, damn those variables , say no to rooms with variables....I never had a room that took 2/3 days with or without variable variables , laugh be annoyed whatever, the other variable is the plasterer,

these threads and replies make my laugh/annoyed. Everyones a hero aren't they!!!

the truth is theres that many variables ie height of walls, substrates, skirts, arkys, heaven forbid dado rails, chimney breasts, bay windows. doglegs, placement of sockets, radiator brackets, access to water, is the room upstairs, any ruffing out to do bits of boarding etc etc so on so on so on...

the amount of 1man spreads that can and are able to do most rooms I a day all ther own prepping and fetching and carrying, mixing, cleaning etc etc etc are about 1 in a 100 I recon....

site work a totally different animal when you've finished your spreading for the day....golden rule scrim and beadthe next day area before you go that way 8am your spreading you just don't have that luxury on domestics!!!

rant over!!!!!!

How very true :RpS_thumbup:

I totally agree with you malc and as a 2 gang we also would find any room pretty much regardless of prep in domestics a a steady plod in a day as you can split tasks and twitching full rooms even takes load of hassle out. just like if it was a site situation on boardwork with them measurements we would look to do 3room ie 1 each gauge if everything set up day before and straight forward etc etc .

my point was that in domestics as a 1man outfit it just don't work like that!

rant over!!!!!!

if you read the op he asks what time to skim a 3m x 4m room. no floating ,no bay window,no fitting plasterboard, dado rails went out 10 years ago. what difference do radiator brackets, electric sockets make ?

I read it as a standard room with just the usual prep, even if there was a bit of dubbing out etc I would still do this comfortably in a day

if you read the op he asks what time to skim a 3m x 4m room. no floating ,no bay window,no fitting plasterboard, dado rails went out 10 years ago. what difference do radiator brackets, electric sockets make ?
Its on the twentieth floor, no electric water or light,damn variables broke the lift too..

Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated. I've concluded I need to speed up, but it's reassuring that some would charge 2 days so we could still compete.

we would give that one a miss. that is why i always go and look at the work before i quote .
I wouldn't make it up there in all honesty and imagine after climbing twenty flights and bringing all your gear up to find you have to turn it down due to a dado rail

Prep on your first day maybe get the ceiling on, then second day two opposites cup of tea then lunch and other two walls. No customer ever recommends you for your speed. clean,tidy, polite and small details like putting sockets back on and light fittings etc

Status
Not open for further replies.