Here we go! Been called back :(

Members online

The reason I always render is because your only really using one product the render (I know it's made up of more than one thing) :) using other systems your relying on a complete system with more things to fail. Take for example this system your involving metal studs, screws and plugs, cement board, drywall screws, fibre tape and then the finish so more things to move.

Youd have to be mad to call someone back a year or 2 later.
The heat is too much over time.
Common sense tells me theres only so much anything can take with that amount of heat over a long time.
Should of said one is a family member so I always have a look :)

But once it's completely dried why would it crack in the future apart from movement? Just curious :)

Something dried out and something being being burned to fuuck is too different things.
The temp of drying your balls after a shower is normal.
The temp of putting them on a bbq is abnormal.

That stuff takes ages to go off, we put it on one evening thinking it would be grand by finishing up but was too soft, mate went back the next morning and it still wasn't set

Something dried out and something being being burned to fuuck is too different things.
The temp of drying your balls after a shower is normal.
The temp of putting them on a bbq is abnormal.
Yeh but once you've burnt your bollox on a bbq you can't burn them again :)

Nut roast
IMG_5440.JPG

But once it's completely dried why would it crack in the future apart from movement? Just curious :)
Mine looked fabulous when first installed....cracked a bit after the first few fires, nothing too bad....filled with joint finish and decorated...all good..recently noticed a small area above the fire has crazed a bit. Figured the first cracks were drying/settlement/expansion/contraction stuff. No large cracks now, just the bit of crazing. No clue as to why, except heat possibly.

I do quite a few fire openings and it is always horses for courses. If you think the opening is too small for a render or plaster finish say so and let your quote and invoice state this if the customer insists otherwise. As far as I"m aware I have never had s&c fail in a fire opening but I always leave a min of 7 days between coats and on renovations it is one of the first plastering jobs I do so it has loads of time to cure properly.

I've also rendered in s&c quite a few backgrounds in my own houses prior to a woodburner install - never had any issues as long as you leave the render to dry properly. Maybe it's the caveman in me but nothing like poking a hot box at night.

The vitcas sand and cement mix they actually encourage you to light a fire to help the curing process, this has to be put on at around 25mm.