Help on this issue

Members online

ankers

A couple of weeks ago I did a fireplace for a customer as they had a report saying there was damp in one place. It said in the report to use the plastic tanking membrane so i did and now the customer is saying there is damp coming through on the joints. Is this the Dabs and havent dried out yet.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20190104_101218.jpg
    20190104_101218.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG-20190115-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190115-WA0002.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG-20190115-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20190115-WA0004.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 270
Through the joint it’s right on it. Anything would have dried by now
You can see in the pic ive overlapped the joint by at least 100mm. Wouldnt it be the Dabs taking longer to dry out as its theres a big plastic sheet behind it?

Sod tanking I just dab s**t like that in thermal board. Never had anything come back through.

If chimneys cracked or flashing knackered then water will piss in and chimney will be well damp.
Agree if it was that bad it be 10 time worse than that. And I'd hate to see the ceilings breasting in the bedrooms lol

Whenever ive used membranes like this there is a black butyl tape that comes with the membrane that you use to seal the joints,it also acts as a vapour barrier.The old brickwork will leach out salts ect,did you scratch it before you put the membrane on?There are nipples on the rear of the membrane to space it off the brickwork and allow any condensation to trickle down but you must use the sealing tape otherwise it will fail,hope that helps you a bit

I've said to the customer to give it a couple of weeks to see if it dries out. I may go and drill some 15mm holes in the board where the skirting is and the picture rail is. If it doesn't work ill re do the job with insulation boards. I'll never use that system again

I've said to the customer to give it a couple of weeks to see if it dries out. I may go and drill some 15mm holes in the board where the skirting is and the picture rail is. If it doesn't work ill re do the job with insulation boards. I'll never use that system again

Noooo. It’s just the dabs drying, @Gibbo said so!

If it’s good enough for cellars with ground water pressure it’s gonna piss an above ground chimney breast. I would say it’s the dabs still drying get a dehumidifier in there.