Help needed please - advice on quality of work

Members online

One extra question, if an area has been boarded that could be done with one board but they’ve used three separate off cuts instead, is this normal practice to maximise material usage or is it cutting corners and just increasing the risk of cracks in the plaster at a later date?

Using offcuts is fine.

Fella in IOM used to walk around outside his hotel measuring cuts people had chucked out of the window. If he found a bit of board bigger than 400 he'd go in and if he could find the guilty b*****d who threw it out, he'd be packing up his tools not long after.

Leave the man alone to complete his improvements. The time for you to have your say is when he declares the job a good un.

One extra question, if an area has been boarded that could be done with one board but they’ve used three separate off cuts instead, is this normal practice to maximise material usage or is it cutting corners and just increasing the risk of cracks in the plaster at a later date?
Give him the benefit of doubt
he may be doing it for environmental reasons

I think folks are realising we have what is known in the trade as "a difficult customer"

f**k off bell end.

The customer has quite reasonably asked for an opinion on a job and overwhelmingly been told it's a s**t one.

Except by you who sells holes that don't even stick
The lady was seeking the opinion of a professional not the opinions of a handyman.

The lady was seeking the opinion of a professional not the opinions of a handyman.

I'm not a handyman you spakker. I'm a renovating contractor.

Odd-job.

df1cc384a42433d03e925491794b4285.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Someone turned up today to deliver some more insulated plasterboard but wasn’t able to review the issues with me as he wasn’t a plasterer. The company director has instructed the project manager to remove all ‘effected’ boards but now we need to agree which ones these are. I’ll have to do this with the new plasterer when he arrives on Friday.

I don’t think the extra boards are enough to cover replacement of the bad ones and finish the job, the project manager is convinced they are despite him never having visited or seen the job done so far, which suggests to me he has no intention of replacing the bad one just ‘adjusting them’. So could be in for a painful morning Friday:tonto:
It's Friday lol
what's the score @Paula123

Oh my god, I could have screamed.... in pure relief!
Despite the general consensus from this thread being that I shouldn’t accept the work completed so far, I was still very nervous about how yesterday would turn out. But to my relief they sent a respectable plasterer this time and it was an entirely different experience.
He was appalled by the job the previous plasterer had done and said it was borderline easier and faster to pull the whole lot down and start again rather than try to ‘fix’ it. But we discussed each issue pragmatically and agreed which areas would be removed and replaced, which would remain, and which would be reworked/modified. He also educated me on the general use of expanding foam in plaster-boarding, what size of gap is generally acceptable to fill and what isn’t (i.e the 50mm gaps the previous guy was filling was lazy, unskilled, and unacceptable). Then as advised by someone in this thread, and me feeling able to do so because the new plasterer wasn’t full of s**t like the last one, I just left him to get on with it, only popping in a few times throughout the day to take him a coffee.
By the time he left yesterday he achieved more by himself in 8 hours, and of infinitely better quality, than the previous plasterer did in two days with the help of two additional people. He’s just arrived this morning to start the wet plaster, I can’t wait to see how the next stage turns out. Keeping my fingers crossed

Some of you may think I’m obsessing but this has been so important to me because I’m now 37 weeks pregnant with our first child so I just want to get this finished to the right standard so we have a usable space for when he arrives. I’ve never asked for more than was promised to me when I signed the contract and with the next year being booked up with learning how to be a parent I simply won’t have the capacity to manage any remedial work.

You’ve really helped me this last week with your advice and I can’t thank you enough. Times are strange at the moment with Covid-19, you seem to have a great brotherhood (siblinghood?) here, so keep supporting each other, in times like these support networks can be the most important of things.
I sense Tapit has some things going on in his/her life and would probably benefit from a cyber hug or two, so keep sharing the love.

I’ll share some photos of the completed boarding a bit later.

Despite the general consensus from this thread being that I shouldn’t accept the work completed so far, I was still very nervous about how yesterday would turn out. But to my relief they sent a respectable plasterer this time and it was an entirely different experience.
He was appalled by the job the previous plasterer had done and said it was borderline easier and faster to pull the whole lot down and start again rather than try to ‘fix’ it. But we discussed each issue pragmatically and agreed which areas would be removed and replaced, which would remain, and which would be reworked/modified. He also educated me on the general use of expanding foam in plaster-boarding, what size of gap is generally acceptable to fill and what isn’t (i.e the 50mm gaps the previous guy was filling was lazy, unskilled, and unacceptable). Then as advised by someone in this thread, and me feeling able to do so because the new plasterer wasn’t full of s**t like the last one, I just left him to get on with it, only popping in a few times throughout the day to take him a coffee.
By the time he left yesterday he achieved more by himself in 8 hours, and of infinitely better quality, than the previous plasterer did in two days with the help of two additional people. He’s just arrived this morning to start the wet plaster, I can’t wait to see how the next stage turns out. Keeping my fingers crossed

Some of you may think I’m obsessing but this has been so important to me because I’m now 37 weeks pregnant with our first child so I just want to get this finished to the right standard so we have a usable space for when he arrives. I’ve never asked for more than was promised to me when I signed the contract and with the next year being booked up with learning how to be a parent I simply won’t have the capacity to manage any remedial work.

You’ve really helped me this last week with your advice and I can’t thank you enough. Times are strange at the moment with Covid-19, you seem to have a great brotherhood (siblinghood?) here, so keep supporting each other, in times like these support networks can be the most important of things.
I sense Tapit has some things going on in his/her life and would probably benefit from a cyber hug or two, so keep sharing the love.

Good on you girl! (y)
Are you ready to name & shame the rough chancing badger you had in you’re place first yet??

How is this in any way relevant to my seeking advice about whether the quality of work is acceptable? Seems to me like you’re just trolling.
If you’re saying you think the quality of work is perfectly acceptable then I thank you for your professional opinion, and I’m assuming you’d be willing to share your trading name to openly admit your own work is of the same standard..... No? Ok then (y)
well said paula,...brilliant,.....

It's a shame for the trade that care and quality have been a target for profit , incompetence and laziness
As I usually say , unfortunately , the public is to blame , they just see £ signs and online reviews
Pleased you have got a good outcome
Don't worry for the future of your previous "tradesmen" , unfortunately they will have no problems finding another customer

well done paula,......all the best

Best of luck, your other plasterer and yourself were probably both stressed at the same time.
I am fine, alls well that ends well.

In your case, you didn't come across as obsessional, Paula - your concerns and questions were legitimate and justified.

Really pleased to see you've got someone on the job now, who has some integrity in the way they treat their work and treat their customers.

All the best with the job and with the baby (y)

I sense Tapit has some things going on in his/her life and would probably benefit from a smack over the head with a shovel ..lol