Hardwall onto Thermalite Newbie Advice PLEASE!

JulianB

Newbie Question (go gentle…)

Had my second go at hardwall plastering a section of thermalite wall in my bathroom.

I applied 1 coat of GyPrime the night before, without watering it down (first mistake?). Next day I dabbed on 4 pieces of 9mm plasterboard and set some screed blocks on the wall the width of my featheredge. Once they were set, I knocked up some hardwall and attempted to get it on the wall as fast as possible (about 3m^2 wall). I didn’t water down the wall at any point that day…is this another mistake? By the time I got the plaster on the wall and tried to run the featheredge over it, it started peeling it off the wall. I decided to trowel it to what I thought was flat but then noticed it started to slump, so left it alone to pull in before devil floating it flat, and ready for another thin layer of hardwall in a few days.

2 days later, I soaked it in a watered down PVA in the morning (and knocked on it to make sure it had bonded to the blockwork), and gave in one more thin coat of hardwall to even out any low spots, then scratched and skimmed it that day.

I’m pretty happy with the end result, although there were a few air bubbles in the multi finish (is this because I scratched it?). I was amazed by how quickly the multi finish began to pull in…it was basically ready for its first flattening just after I finished putting it on. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

I’ve got a few big walls to do next and I could really do with understanding what I did wrongly; should I be applying more coats of gyPrime, watering it down, or using SBR /PVA to give myself more time to get the Hardwall on and successfully featheredge it? Also, is it a big ‘no no’ if I don’t skim it on the same day thinking – I generally work evenings and weekends (it’s on my own house).

Any advice / pointers would really be appreciated!

eddie murphy wtf!.gif

Had my second go at hardwall plastering a section of thermalite wall in my bathroom.

I applied 1 coat of GyPrime the night before, without watering it down (first mistake?). Next day I dabbed on 4 pieces of 9mm plasterboard and set some screed blocks on the wall the width of my featheredge. Once they were set, I knocked up some hardwall and attempted to get it on the wall as fast as possible (about 3m^2 wall). I didn’t water down the wall at any point that day…is this another mistake? By the time I got the plaster on the wall and tried to run the featheredge over it, it started peeling it off the wall. I decided to trowel it to what I thought was flat but then noticed it started to slump, so left it alone to pull in before devil floating it flat, and ready for another thin layer of hardwall in a few days.

2 days later, I soaked it in a watered down PVA in the morning (and knocked on it to make sure it had bonded to the blockwork), and gave in one more thin coat of hardwall to even out any low spots, then scratched and skimmed it that day.

I’m pretty happy with the end result, although there were a few air bubbles in the multi finish (is this because I scratched it?). I was amazed by how quickly the multi finish began to pull in…it was basically ready for its first flattening just after I finished putting it on. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

I’ve got a few big walls to do next and I could really do with understanding what I did wrongly; should I be applying more coats of gyPrime, watering it down, or using SBR /PVA to give myself more time to get the Hardwall on and successfully featheredge it? Also, is it a big ‘no no’ if I don’t skim it on the same day thinking – I generally work evenings and weekends (it’s on my own house).

Floating isn't for beginners in fact most so called plasterers can't do it properly or absolutely hate it except the old boy's they love it my advice is leave it well alone buddy there's simply too many things to know about it that take years of experience to get to a good standard

don’t put it on in one coat
Thanks, forgot to mention that I first applied a thin coat of hardwall to all the wall and as soon as I finished that I went on to applying the full thickness to the feather edge back. Think I had read it on here that the thin first coat takes all beating from the high suction?

Spend all that time making an arse of it.

Just put your hand in your pocket and @smoother09 will come and make an arse of it for you.

Spend all that time making an arse of it.

Just put your hand in your pocket and @smoother09 will come and make an arse of it for you.
Stop working in people's homes Steve you know it's not only wrong to impersonate a trades its also wrong ethically! Do the right thing and fold your mickey mouse business!

Tbf there are better materials available now , times have moved on a lot , we use a Smet product which can be applied direct onto any block including the thermalite with no need to prime the block or the backing coat , saves time on labour and materials and when skim is applied it sits there nice to be able to get a nice finish
You would have to order a pallet at least though for delivery

Tbf there are better materials available now , times have moved on a lot , we use a Smet product which can be applied direct onto any block including the thermalite with no need to prime the block or the backing coat , saves time on labour and materials and when skim is applied it sits there nice to be able to get a nice finish
You would have to order a pallet at least though for delivery
Bit like using nice cheap sand and cement then?

Bit like using nice cheap sand and cement then?
It’s very lightweight mate lime in it too fibres and polymers in comparison you can apply it in one coat at a good depth with no slumping say at 15/20 mm thick no problem and finish it within a few hours if you used it as render finish too outside
I recon you’d love it and prefer it even if you hand applied it too mate
They have a one coat I’m trying to get hold of too a few dudes are saying it’s pucker stuff that too , one coat gypsum product again at 10 / 15mm one hit and a sponge up and trowel the finish

It’s very lightweight mate lime in it too fibres and polymers in comparison you can apply it in one coat at a good depth with no slumping say at 15/20 mm thick no problem and finish it within a few hours if you used it as render finish too outside
I recon you’d love it and prefer it even if you hand applied it too mate
They have a one coat I’m trying to get hold of too a few dudes are saying it’s pucker stuff that too , one coat gypsum product again at 10 / 15mm one hit and a sponge up and trowel the finish
Is clemos gear?