GUIDE TO RENDERING, YOU CANT GO WORNG

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
try it, i will personally guarantee the results..
you need aa pretty big spider though, little ones arent quick enough... old geezer taught me that one...

Chris W said:
try this, find yourself a really quick spider, chuck it on a dry spot and chase it round the wall with the float, they'll stay away from the damp spots to keep their feet dry so they dont get render on em etc and that way you wont end up floating a bit that isnt quite ready...
not a lot of people know that.. ;)

ahhhhhhhhhhhh the old spider trick not heard that for years chris dont be givin out all the secrets.

if you think about it, your top coat has gotta be weaker so it's more flexible, to avoid cracking.

If you put a stronger top coat on a weaker scratch coat, it's gonna go t1ts up. Simples

Pug said:
on brick i go 4:1 scratch 5:1:1 top coat
on thermalites 5:1 scratch 6:1:1 top coatalways done circular motion for rubbing up
i think that is still to strong i go 7:1 then 8:1 on thermalites

twitcher said:
if you think about it, your top coat has gotta be weaker so it's more flexible, to avoid cracking.

If you put a stronger top coat on a weaker scratch coat, it's gonna go t1ts up. Simples

How does this theory work on wet dash roughcast when the universal measure of 3(chips) 2(sand) 1(cement) is applied? when mixed together i would say that is stronger or as strong as a 4.1. ??

yeah see what you mean.

First thing that springs to mind is the weight and size of the aggregate in the mix. Perhaps this makes a difference?

Is concrete with larger aggregates comparable? It's a lot stronger for sure. Guess mixes change with aggregates..

if you were rendering an old cottage, you would use lime

say 5 -1 (5 sand and 1 lime) no cement at all

wrong again mate 2 lime 5 aggregate

I've been doing 3.5 to 1 followed by 4 to 1 for years and never had
any problems, mind you I always scud thermalites

bubbles65 said:
Irish - what do you mean by 'scud'? I haven't heard that expression before.

It must be an Irish term. Stipple/slurry coat thrown onto the wall with a trowel.

bit like nisus's skimming ;D

irish_spread said:
bubbles65 said:
Irish - what do you mean by 'scud'? I haven't heard that expression before.

It must be an Irish term. Stipple/slurry coat thrown onto the wall with a trowel.

bit like nisus's skimming ;D

Oii :eek:
That's why I do older properties
like farms n barns etc, they like the rustic effect ;D

This is a proper scud:
;)

photo-416.jpg

i always thought scudding was the word to describe how dogs wiped their ar se on the carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.