Got these swirls artex ceilings

harryj490

Glued up and not pulling in much .. what do you think best to do I know over boarding but customer not willing to pay .. so do I risk it or give it a miss .. the ceilings are very very shiny without being pva up .. scraped back still not pulling in .

H

Attachments

• 15130783567491801519032.jpg
    15130783567491801519032.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 391
  • 15130784404741167547990.jpg
    15130784404741167547990.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 343
It will slid and be minging. Wait for it to go. If it's late in the day give it another coat and skim it tomorrow if you can. Pre grit good for future. And zombie mix winner over artex

Always overboard artex and at the very least blue grit, problem with artex when you drench it with pva sometimes the artex delaminates and that causes problems.

Scrape then apply artex sealer and leave over night to harden. Done 100s like that with no problems. Or... Blue grit day before.. Never a problem unless you attempt to prep and skim same day.. Stuff that.. Even mentioned on TV programme.. Diy sos or something... They said if it's solid and prepared properly artex it's a good surface to skim.. I agree. However. If it's really soft (contract artex from 80s - 90s) or its possible it's got asbestos in it then over board...

Great advise and and had someone come round to test if asbestos in it all clear. Using this bond in stuff from selco green stuff hopefully ready to skim in the morning .. does the finish hang a little on this stuff ... normally I over board this is the first time I skimmed on this stuff ..

Great advise and and had someone come round to test if asbestos in it all clear. Using this bond in stuff from selco green stuff hopefully ready to skim in the morning .. does the finish hang a little on this stuff ... normally I over board this is the first time I skimmed on this stuff ..
Do you know how much the asbestos test cost?

seen artex sealer mentioned a few times, anyone recommend a certain brand?
also heard it seals it quicker than pva, double bonus if so!!

Asbestos testing kits are £40 or less and you buy online.. Only 1 type of artex sealer available these days and I buy mine from B&Q.. It made by artex... Blue and white tubs and only the 2.5lt available theses days.. Discontinued the 5lt and 10lt.. I wouldn't use any other brand. You must let it harden though so at a push in a warm house you will need 4 hours drying

Uni is OK I guess but will fail if anything on surface breaks the Adhesion. Grease. Dirt ect.. Be great if you could sugar soap the ceiling first but rough artex can't we washed.. Jmo.. Posts here on failed uni. Don't surprise me with dirt from traffic. Some places have black traffic film coating the place. Sealer will mix in with surface contamination dirt and create a key. I apply a thin seal with uni for this reason if I think it's needed..

All done cheers all another 6 left .@JessThePlasterer used the zombie mix for first coat went over artex lovely , lay down a nice second coat, trowelled up lovely. End up using Bond it . Thanks Jess and All !!!

Attachments

• 20171213_130122.jpg
    20171213_130122.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Nice work.. Think you done it right...what ratio for zombie.. I'm not constant with mine. Offen get it to strong..

My phone has stupid predictive text on and makes spelling mistakes! I text and it changes the words . THANKS .

Is it adhesive in skim . We went through a faze with it but don’t bother anymore . Might be because it’s winter but other then it hanging longer what’s other use to doing it

Is it adhesive in skim . We went through a faze with it but don’t bother anymore . Might be because it’s winter but other then it hanging longer what’s other use to doing it
(Few handfuls bonding thrown in first coat sssssssshhhhhhhhh :estudioso::foto:)

To speed it up . Never thought of useing this on smaller ceiling.
I did a artex ceiling other day and gave it three coats of pva after i had scraped it as i just knew it was gonna pull in .ceiling was bout12ft x 24ish . I mixed extra for first coat and just kept dropping back n keeping it flat but by second coat which hung you could of said I had all eady gave it 3 coats. Come up a treat but is it bad practice. Plus I was f**k*d and relised why I always get lad on large ceilings with me.
A

If I.m doing more on job i.ll pva ceiling then use any waste skim on ceiling . Pva it again and skim it last

To speed it up . Never thought of useing this on smaller ceiling.
I did a artex ceiling other day and gave it three coats of pva after i had scraped it as i just knew it was gonna pull in .ceiling was bout12ft x 24ish . I mixed extra for first coat and just kept dropping back n keeping it flat but by second coat which hung you could of said I had all eady gave it 3 coats. Come up a treat but is it bad practice. Plus I was f**k*d and relised why I always get lad on large ceilings with me.
A
It actually slows it down a bit but top coat like skimming over butter on artex