Got it

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

essexandy

The Lake Governor
Well my son and I went up to Lord & Downing to collect our Ritmo and have a days tuition from Stu (southernmonkey) yesterday, we had a good day with Stu and hopefully he has set us of on the right path. I have also witnessed the grand master that is Les talking to someone on the phone who, I would say reading between the lines wasn't being totally honest about the problems he was suffering and you could tell he was rumbled straight away so that's the first lesson learned.
Now I've got to be honest and say that since paying my deposit I've been wondering whether I'd dropped a major ricket, especially since my main reason for the purchase was to apply the new Spray Finish, but after watching my son spraying some render for the first time ever I now believe that we will end up using the Ritmo to spray CPI or similar on our internal work and that you lot weren't talking with forked tongues and that we will get a lot more on a day than with hand application.
Stuart was very thorough and never once rushed us (I think the jam doughnuts helped), he went over each stage as many times as we wanted and I feel sure that as long as we follow his advise to the letter we wont have any problems, although I'm absolutely sure that at some time or another we will cock up and need either his or Les' help.
Thanks again Stu

Note to self: DON'T FORGET THE WATER SWITCH.

andy unless your spraying pre mixed gear your water switch will always be to the right anyway so you will be fine . ive been spraying cpi inside all week doing 2-3 pallets per day easy it goes lovely through the machine . also been spraying over eml alot and i just couldnt beleive how easy it is now .
best of luck with your new toy and you have the best lads there for back up

did you notice there were alot of wasps flying about in the yard

No Stu ate em !! as i rolled up in the yard Stu was actually stuffing his face, you should of seen the look of horror on Andy's lads face, thinking "am i next gulp" but i soon distracted him with the mention of a bacon butty

What CPI stuff are you using inside?

At the moment I'm using normal site mixed S&C but intend to get some of the CPI General Purpose Render to run through the nice new shiny shiny.
I've now got my head around the fact that I'll need to pre-treat the Celcons with something like microgobetis to kill the suction (something I've never done) but when Stu told me how many m2 of blockwork can be sprayed with the gobetis in an hour using the Ritmo it all started to make sense.

At the moment I'm using normal site mixed S&C but intend to get some of the CPI General Purpose Render to run through the nice new shiny shiny.
I've now got my head around the fact that I'll need to pre-treat the Celcons with something like microgobetis to kill the suction (something I've never done) but when Stu told me how many m2 of blockwork can be sprayed with the gobetis in an hour using the Ritmo it all started to make sense.

Microgobetis, it's the future, ideal machine for owt like that mate, wait till you start on the bucket coats, am jealous as ****

andy, we started spraying micro the other week for the first time. i did a gable the other day, approx 40m, in about 10-15 mins. and any left over in the hopper you can pump straight back into the tub. i used the skim setup on number 1 and 2 with max air and it was more than quick enough. just be careful to wipe any splashes on windows etc as soon as it hits, as its a bitch to clean when dry. you could also try spraying gyprime or betonkontakt.

as for the water switch, i always turn mine off when cleaning out, and use a hose for water. but thats just me.

I'll have to a phone round to find out which of the suction controllers I can get at the right money. Which of them do you lads think would be most suitable for internal work onto Celcons?

I'll have to a phone round to find out which of the suction controllers I can get at the right money. Which of them do you lads think would be most suitable for internal work onto Celcons?

i have always been weary about priming smooth surfaces against suction, as you know you rely on the suction for good adhesion on some substrates, i would just give em a good wet down, i only ever used the suction control primers on rough surfaces that had a good key just to give some working time, but thats just my opinion, some others will probs swear by gypprime etc

well id say micro, betonkontakt or bluegrit are probably cheaper than gyprime. although gyprime is designed more for what youd be using it for. i guess u can water it down a fair bit to make it go further. but dont try and roll micro and im guessing the others with grit, coz on high suction blocks all you get it a roller full of sand/grit and and none on the wall coz it just sucks all the liquid out.

im not sure water will be enough on celcons to be able to spray nicely.

maybe splatter coat all the walls first all throught the house with a wet spray, then come back over them again with a stiffer spray after

Last edited:
2:1 sbr does duplex/celcons and is cheaper than gyprime, I put it in gyprime buckets and it makes me feel better about the whole thing.

british gypsum do a sealer that is good for celcons and a tub of it goes for miles. That works well with hardwall but i would check its ok for sand/cement

i have always been weary about priming smooth surfaces against suction, as you know you rely on the suction for good adhesion on some substrates, i would just give em a good wet down, i only ever used the suction control primers on rough surfaces that had a good key just to give some working time, but thats just my opinion, some others will probs swear by gypprime etc

could not agree more

micro over a smooth surface will give a total blank out/full coverage or over coverage and the gear will struggle - had it slide off myself - never again seal a smooth surface

No Stu ate em !! as i rolled up in the yard Stu was actually stuffing his face, you should of seen the look of horror on Andy's lads face, thinking "am i next gulp" but i soon distracted him with the mention of a bacon butty

I also had the misfortune of eating a wasp when i was there

thanks for the donuts andy ...i was gettin a bit hungry ...and for the breakfast .....and can you let everyone know that i chose the small breakfast rather then the large ....i dont think i've ever done that before lol

as you said andy your son is brand new to the trade and already you can see him being productive within a very short time, he seemed to pick up the spraying pretty quick and also had a genuine interest in the machine and was keen to learn, if you listen to the right advice from the right people you'll have that machine singing like a canary all year round

My thoughts exactly Paul, I didn't plan on really sealing the blocks but just giving then a blow over (the advantage of spraying with the Ritmo) with something to lessen the suction without killing it. I also find that if you render onto any substrate that hasn't got some suction and then let the render cure/dry out like you should that you then get to much suction on the setting coat, just like working on smooth concrete blocks.

My thoughts exactly Paul, I didn't plan on really sealing the blocks but just giving then a blow over (the advantage of spraying with the Ritmo) with something to lessen the suction without killing it. I also find that if you render onto any substrate that hasn't got some suction and then let the render cure/dry out like you should that you then get to much suction on the setting coat, just like working on smooth concrete blocks.

Why not just give them a moderate PVAing?

Why not just give them a moderate PVAing?

Being new to all this I'm not sure how PVA would spray but have been advised by Stu and others on here that you can spray microgobetis and blue grit both of which I'd personally be much happier rendering over when dry than PVA.

Andy FFs you can still use a roller man lol

There is no chance of that mate, I rollered a house out with blue grit for re-skimming last year and it just took to long for me to be doing it on new build houses and ****** the roller up in know time. From what Nick has said on here and Stu told us on Friday you can spray loads of metres in next to know time.

Furry muff have you got all the gubbons you need to do it apparently you can get a roller attachment might help with pva

Status
Not open for further replies.