Funny customers and prices

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a job for a south African guy a few years back. When I went to look at it, a tiny job of a wall in a hallway, he showed me round his new kitchen, opening every cupboard to show me how it was arranged. It was actually quite funny, me and my lab where trying not to look at each over so as not to burst out laughing. We looked through photos album, learnt all about his family history and about the time some guy put a pistol in his mouth.

He was without doubt the worst talker I have ever had to get away from. I got the job, and managed to persuade my wife to come with me to talk with him whilst I did the work.

Had a few that played fek after scratch coat thinking that was the finish ! thick kents aboot mun !

I went to price a job once ,and the bird was mega fit, long blond hair super sexy, she made me ill, so anyhoooooo where was I , oh yes so I said to myself nobody but nobody is going to get this job , put a stupid ridiculous price in just to get it, and I still got beat on the price, still having therapy for it
I bet you mentioned a handboard and she thought you were just weird.

why do we let people knock us down on price ? I dont go to morrisons on a friday night and ask for £30 off my shopping bill!

Just been to see a job on the way home. Gobsmacked. First of all they weren't there. I got half way home and they phoned and asked if I could come back. They apologised for being late and it sounded like a decent enough job: DPC; two rooms knocked through, bathroom, two bedrooms.

But it wasn't how it sounded. It was like something off Cowboy Builders. The work had already mostly been done and was an absolute fcuking disgrace. Some cowboy had done the DPC :RpS_unsure:, knocked two rooms into one, lowered the ceilings in the kitchen and the bathroom, but had failed to come back to finish it. They'd phoned them up and said they were just too busy and that they would refund £400 for not skimming it all. They'd been paid already :RpS_w00t: Anyway, that £400, that they hadn't had back, was what she was expecting to pay for the whole thing getting skimmed. I felt a bit sorry for them because they were only in their twenties an had been ripped off. I tried to explain what they should have expected, what they could expect to pay etc. Why they hadn't come back etc. But she wasn't having any of it. She turns around to me and says "oh well, theres no point looking any further then. thats all we're expecting to pay. we have someone else looking tomorrow and if they can't do it we have a family member who has done a lot of plastering who can do it anyway. thanks for coming" Couldn't believe it. Her boyfriend knew they'd been ripped off but she refused to see it and thought I was ripping her off :RpS_lol: Oh., and she'd wanted it doing next week. Fools

Oh, and the price for the whole job including materials from the previous outfit: £1375. For the DPC, lowering two ceilings, knocking two rooms into one, bricking up a fireplace, skimming the kitchen, bathroom, two bedrooms and the two knocked through rooms.

surprised they did so much before doing a runner
pirate.png
they do, though, don't they, though

got this lead today. fcuk me.

Job Description

looking to remove/skim over artex throughout home. house being fully redecorated so appreciate this job usually causes dust build up, no issues with this.
we have six rooms plus a hallway/landing area - bathroom/ 3 bedrooms / living room / dinner&kitchen / and one small downstairs wc. looking for a few quotes with some positive feedback, etc... have previously been quotes under £800 for the job.

the previous quote for 800 must have been too expensive. unfcukingbelievable

Last edited:
I got a call today asking me over the phone how much to skim an understairs cupboard. Need to see it i say . She says will it be more than £50.. yes i replied and she hung up lol

I got a call yesterday about 2.30pm ,guy wanted a small bit of plastering done before his kitchen was fitted ,i said when is that being done ? ,he said tomorrow

Younger customers I try to avoid. Always try to tell me how long they think the job should take and then shop around for the cheapest quote and then want the job done like yesterday.

maybe because we will tend to do a bit more research and find out what the job entails.

I would also suggest an expert should be able to provide a rough estimate of how long a job should take.

That said, when I get quotes I rarely bargain - the trader has their chance to offer the best price the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.