frost proofer /accelerator pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used frost proofers in the past and never had a problem. For me they work. I know Feb has gone over to Ever build but in Feb talk I used their Winta mix. Winta also has a plasticiser but I found sometimes it was not plasticised enough. Adding Febmix re***ds the mix so thats no good. I softened it with a bucket of soft sand per mix.

I have also used Febspeed but struggled with the lack of plasticiser.

Feb once advised to use their Febtite powder with Febspeed powder added separately and that worked but I had to buy 20x1kg of each so expensive.

I would not use it in the cold as an excuse to work in the cold but would use it in case we got caught out with a bad overnight frost. I did a job once at -2c and it froze on me rubbing up (no frostproofer just febmix) and it is still there today. I have done two gables (separate) that froze over night and glistened with ice the next day but with wintamix and they are still there today 20 years on. Numerous other jobs that we used frostproofer and we had overnight frosts down to -3c and no problems.

But as said we use it just in case we get caught out not as an excuse to work in the cold knowing it is going to freeze.

Adding to below, we also consider scratch coat on dry brick before noon and then covered up with debris netting tight. The netting being nailed into the perps. For top coat debris netting across the inside of the standards but not as good as being tight on. This is what we have done today on a North facing wall with overnight temp down to 0c but colder for the days to come.

With dryish bricks (not to dry) most of the water gets sucked into the bricks and what water what is left the air entrainer can cope with hoping that the render has initially set.

The top coat of course on a waterproofed background is a different kettle of fish. You need an accelerator/frost proofer to work before the frost comes. Hence, mix as soon as safe to in the morning and put on early enough so it is set by night fall. It might mean only doing half a shift but it is better than a kick in the teeth.

Adding to below, we also consider scratch coat on dry brick before noon and then covered up with debris netting tight. The netting being nailed into the perps. For top coat debris netting across the inside of the standards but not as good as being tight on. This is what we have done today on a North facing wall with overnight temp down to 0c but colder for the days to come.

With dryish bricks (not to dry) most of the water gets sucked into the bricks and what water what is left the air entrainer can cope with hoping that the render has initially set.

The top coat of course on a waterproofed background is a different kettle of fish. You need an accelerator/frost proofer to work before the frost comes. Hence, mix as soon as safe to in the morning and put on early enough so it is set by night fall. It might mean only doing half a shift but it is better than a kick in the teeth.
Its great when someone answers the question rather than asking why I have two sugars,, thanks

Rigsby knows his game ,nice one :RpS_thumbup:
Its also good for newer guys or those with general knowledge to see it written nice and clear. Most of us that are around a while have decent knowledge but its always good to see others viewpoints sensibly put,, Thanks Keith and Rigsby

Another thing to bear in mind with accelerators is that they are also rapid hardeners.

You need to let your scratch coat harden first, if you put the accelerated coat on the scratch too soon the top coat will harden faster than the base coat and you could get crazing or seperation.

its simple, if theres a frost predicted dont chance it, an accelerator is not an anti-freeze.

True^^^

I was due in today but there's a frost tonight so that's it for a week or more if the forecasters are right. Got a good earner for inside next week though so I'm happy :RpS_thumbup:

True^^^

I was due in today but there's a frost tonight so that's it for a week or more if the forecasters are right. Got a good earner for inside next week though so I'm happy :RpS_thumbup:
We rendered today, no frost expected where I am but tuesday and then on is a no go for render... need an inside quickly

An accelerator works in tandem with the frost proofer. There is more chance of failure if the mortar freezes whilst still setting. An accelerator increases the setting and hardening creating heat as it does so. It is not the frost proofing ingredient but certainly helps. As said it is not a reason to work in the cold but can help prevent frost damage if caught out unexpectedly.

When i was in Holland in 78 we were frosted of for 6 weeks with 80% of our money paid, great system dont know if it still goes on but i dont see why not.

An accelerator works in tandem with the frost proofer. There is more chance of failure if the mortar freezes whilst still setting. An accelerator increases the setting and hardening creating heat as it does so. It is not the frost proofing ingredient but certainly helps. As said it is not a reason to work in the cold but can help prevent frost damage if caught out unexpectedly.

You mentioned in another thread about a fast setting cement, i think you said made by Lafarge.What was that please?

good spreads know not to render in temps lower than 3-5. iv had builders o the phone before saying where are you?> its a lovely day etc.... im like, but temps a gunna drop to the 2-3s at night, aint worth the risk....

iv even had mates calling me up saying the same builder has called them asking them to do it after iv told them i wont lol fking builders had no loyalties! *****.

You mentioned in another thread about a fast setting cement, i think you said made by Lafarge.What was that please?

frost proofer /accelerator pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.