Free Offer to prove courses are better than no training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for you Viking...........what do you want to do once you have completed the course? What do you expect to be able to do? Not a trick question or anything, just wanting to know what are your expectations from the course? (This could be good feedback for the course providers too - as well as folks on the forum)

ok it wasnt the best way t introduce my self and as i said i apologise

well let me start again i have been in the army for 9 yrs and i am leaving very shortly i am very very interested in plastering/rendering etc.. i have no ties into the trade so hopefully the course will give me a better chance at gaining employment over someone with no course/training etc.. the course i can do is the much talked about Goldtrowel and looking at there video they look like the best training facility in the uk this has to work as i have 5 kids under the age of 8 and i need to set the standard as i want my kids to learn the value of having to work for your money therefore my question is?

if i was to take the course would i benifit more from learning the basics of rendering with the K-REND course or would i benifit from taking that week on the plastering

All i will say is , don't try to run before you can walk, learn to plaster first and that will follow on naturally

I am expecting to know the basics on plastering i.e. how to knock up, clean up, and a small amount of knowledge in the trade so understanding why, what, where and how you put it on the walls, ceilings etc

In all fairness a lot about plastering is stamina once you got the basics down and if your just coming out the army you should be half decent so good luck to you mate but like i tell any one trying to get into the trade phone around plastering companies and see what work is available a lot of spreads on here are subbies and they will tell you them selves there ain't a lot of work out there most have gone over to domestic and that's getting really competitive as most jobs i am pricing the people are getting many quotes and usually going for the cheapest which no man can live on but like anything its all an element of luck its not what you know its who you know.

Are you going to go straight into plastering or labouring

spunky i wouldnt have the confidence to go straight into plastering but at the same time i would like a plasterer to actually train me not like alot in london that say there gonna train ya then just leave ya labouring because your a good labourer

I am expecting to know the basics on plastering i.e. how to knock up, clean up, and a small amount of knowledge in the trade so understanding why, what, where and how you put it on the walls, ceilings etc

So - once you know the basics, what are you proposing to do with that knowledge/experience ?

So - once you know the basics, what are you proposing to do with that knowledge/experience ?
once i have that i would like to be able to start to plaster after about a year of labouring if possible i am not the sort of person that believes things come for free i know its gonna be hard and long but trust me ive have tougher challenges so i keep my head up and put my heart and soul into it

You've got the right idea then............Now to work on that anger management - you fkin nutcase :RpS_laugh:

No Honestley im fine i just dont like people talking to me like s**t had enough of it in the army lol but hey im all good anyway guys for the ones who have awnsered some of the questions thank you very much i appreciate you input and will keep ya updated on whether Goldtrowel are as good as people say

I dunno about anyone else, but if I had to decide between being sent out on the firing line to work against enemies who will do anything to get one over you, or be in the army, give me a gun any day

The goldtrowel courses are great! It is my last week of the 6 week course I did. I have learnt so much and an confident in becoming a good solid plasterer. Worth every penny if you ask me

Give Andy at Goldtrowel a call he will answer all of your questions!

GL mate

ok it wasnt the best way t introduce my self and as i said i apologise

well let me start again i have been in the army for 9 yrs and i am leaving very shortly i am very very interested in plastering/rendering etc.. i have no ties into the trade so hopefully the course will give me a better chance at gaining employment over someone with no course/training etc.. the course i can do is the much talked about Goldtrowel and looking at there video they look like the best training facility in the uk this has to work as i have 5 kids under the age of 8 and i need to set the standard as i want my kids to learn the value of having to work for your money therefore my question is?

if i was to take the course would i benifit more from learning the basics of rendering with the K-REND course or would i benifit from taking that week on the plastering

k-rend isnt the basics of rendering. its diffeerent to everyday rendering. the rendering should be covered on the plastering course. so like i said before, it depends on what you want to be able to do.

if youve got 5 kids under the age of 8, you must be a machine!!or buy cheap jonnys :)

Hi Viking,,like you I,m new to the forum,and like alot of forums in this internet world, we get alsorts of people.Thats life.
I,ve been in the job a good few years, and learnt one thing.........you never stop learning. Alot of folk on here will tell you
that 2 identical walls can do 2 totally different things. Experience is key, if you have a problem wall, skim the fekker again!!
Theres no shame in cocking things up, thats how we learn in a way. I had a young lad working with me, who was 22 months
into a 2 year course at a northern college(won,t say name,,liable and all that). He was supposed to be with us for two weeks
on a work experience type thing..He lasted 2 days.. I dont blame him, I blame the person who taught him. He was useless, and
I don,t like saying that about someone. Believe this,,,he was right handed and he asked if he should start spreading from the right
or left!!! WTF. He made a sheeite brew aswell lol.
Allways listen to what your taught(you should be used to that) and with proper aptitude on your part you,ll do well. Good luck with
the course and i hope things work out for you..its a difficult transition working with civvies ( i was in the infantry). If ya get stuck
jump on a train,come up north and i,ll teach you myself lol,, but you WILL get beasted :)

Right Viking this is going to be long winded and probably disjointed so please bear with me.

The main reason the experienced spreads on here and in the outside world get the ache with people who have done courses is that whether they have done a 5 day or 6 week course they come on here or a job and think they know what they're on about or a good plasterer. Now whether someone has done a 5, 10 day course or 6 week course they are definitely not going to be a GOOD plasterer. Doing a 5 or 10 day course will at best give you a good idea of how to do some DIY, if they do a 6 week course it should give you the ability to tackle DIY confidently and give you a decent grounding in the basics of plastering but they are not going to be ready to go out into other peoples homes or businesses and KNOW they are going to leave a good job and a to be deemed a GOOD plasterer means being good compared with other good experienced long term plasterers. In truth there really aren't that many good plasterers about as with all the other trades (believe this) and to be truly good you are going to need the experience of getting over the problems that so often crop up and you just can't get that sort of experience quickly.
Now with the courses such as the Venetian and Krend courses mentioned earlier I see no reason why a 1 or 2 week course teaching people who can already plaster to learn another aspect of the trade shouldn't be a complete success and I would be perfectly happy to go to Gold Trowel or similar and do such a course.
Now my advice to you if you really are set on getting into plastering is go do the course (after all you're not paying anyway) but then try and get yourself a start with a local spread (there are loads and loads in your area) but don't mention the course just say you have a bit of experience. This will not put people of giving you a go and once you do get a start with someone use the knowledge you have gained from your course to show what a great labourer you are and how handy you are by being able to skim some angles and small areas. This will go down really well with any spread and be seen as a bonus and any decent boss will let you do more and more if he can see you are capable and not fecking things up and costing him time and money.
Now here's what I can see being a stumbling block too all of the above. A friend of my wife used to be "involved" with a big wig from the army whose job was getting squaddies started back in civvy street on leaving the army, we had a long chat one evening where he explained to me how these ex squaddies would make perfect labourers/trainees for my business. That they would be hard working, used to listening to instructions and following them. Great I thought, "but how much would someone leaving the army be looking to earn" I asked, "oh you'd only have to offer them about 25k" he said at which point I just burst out laughing. I told him " I don't know what you've been told about the building industry but someone with little or no experience is not going to get 25k".
There are definitely other easier to learn trades with better earning potential that have courses available.
Anyway whatever you do good luck.

If i was you id think about doing the course even if just to make up your mind if plastering is for you.Many people try it and find its not.If it is for you theres a brilliant offer from Simply to learn machine rendering,and you wont find many better old and fat people to learn from.Thats good start to any plastering career.

Right Viking this is going to be long winded and probably disjointed so please bear with me.

The main reason the experienced spreads on here and in the outside world get the ache with people who have done courses is that whether they have done a 5 day or 6 week course they come on here or a job and think they know what they're on about or a good plasterer. Now whether someone has done a 5, 10 day course or 6 week course they are definitely not going to be a GOOD plasterer. Doing a 5 or 10 day course will at best give you a good idea of how to do some DIY, if they do a 6 week course it should give you the ability to tackle DIY confidently and give you a decent grounding in the basics of plastering but they are not going to be ready to go out into other peoples homes or businesses and KNOW they are going to leave a good job and a to be deemed a GOOD plasterer means being good compared with other good experienced long term plasterers. In truth there really aren't that many good plasterers about as with all the other trades (believe this) and to be truly good you are going to need the experience of getting over the problems that so often crop up and you just can't get that sort of experience quickly.
Now with the courses such as the Venetian and Krend courses mentioned earlier I see no reason why a 1 or 2 week course teaching people who can already plaster to learn another aspect of the trade shouldn't be a complete success and I would be perfectly happy to go to Gold Trowel or similar and do such a course.
Now my advice to you if you really are set on getting into plastering is go do the course (after all you're not paying anyway) but then try and get yourself a start with a local spread (there are loads and loads in your area) but don't mention the course just say you have a bit of experience. This will not put people of giving you a go and once you do get a start with someone use the knowledge you have gained from your course to show what a great labourer you are and how handy you are by being able to skim some angles and small areas. This will go down really well with any spread and be seen as a bonus and any decent boss will let you do more and more if he can see you are capable and not fecking things up and costing him time and money.
Now here's what I can see being a stumbling block too all of the above. A friend of my wife used to be "involved" with a big wig from the army whose job was getting squaddies started back in civvy street on leaving the army, we had a long chat one evening where he explained to me how these ex squaddies would make perfect labourers/trainees for my business. That they would be hard working, used to listening to instructions and following them. Great I thought, "but how much would someone leaving the army be looking to earn" I asked, "oh you'd only have to offer them about 25k" he said at which point I just burst out laughing. I told him " I don't know what you've been told about the building industry but someone with little or no experience is not going to get 25k".
There are definitely other easier to learn trades with better earning potential that have courses available.
Anyway whatever you do good luck.

excellent post maybe this should be a sticky coz it explains so much :)

Now I'm confused, getting praise from both Flynny and Spucky I just don't know if I've done right or wrong:RpS_confused:
problem with 90% of the population is...
they dont actually realise that just because spunky and flynny post absolute utter crap (or so it seems to most) the fact remains theyre actually extremely knowledgable and experienced spreads that just dont give a f'ck about offending people... well i reckon i can speak for the spunkster anyhow... why d'ya think i gave up my modship in the first place? cant be arsed being polite when i supposed to be in a position of 'authority'... flynny took it to a whole new level lol.. :RpS_biggrin:

because nick, id just go nuts with the power trip and make the owner of the forum look like the owner of another forum that went down because of his overly racist political views, im not racist but the principle remains the same.... there does need to be a respect for the mods, they do a thankless job and its all about keeping the forum alive as opposed to the shithole estate pub that goes through shitloads of managers before some brewery decides theyre wasting theyre time and turns it into flats...

Gutted about church I wish he'd come back

I second that, although I never got to meet him he seemed a really decent bloke and very knowledgeable.
Danny rather than spending all your time talking to old gits on the beach get an email of to Church offering him a free pallet or two from BG if he comes back now they're your buddies.

interesting analogy
its pretty much the same reason church binned it mate... you get sick of biting yer tongue...
or what do you do? get all draconian, bin all the nobs, delete all the shite, then get slagged for doing yer job? or just leave it... then get slagged for not doing yer job?
swear to god mate, this game is full of pricks...

A good bit of advice is , don`t run before you can walk mate. Stick to learning your internal stuff like board skimming , beading up and a bit of hardwall etc and build on your rendering skills once you get used to whacking on about 30-40 bags a day on to a good standard. It takes years to learn the art of plastering , not 5 mins !

its pretty much the same reason church binned it mate... you get sick of biting yer tongue...
or what do you do? get all draconian, bin all the nobs, delete all the shite, then get slagged for doing yer job? or just leave it... then get slagged for not doing yer job?
swear to god mate, this game is full of pricks...

thinkin on.. being a bit p'ssed, im thinking about ol' twitcher...

what i just said there applies, scale up, to whatever you wanna apply it to...

point is....

could you? would you? do the job... are we, as a democracy, at a point of apathy? let the 'people that can' get on with it? where are we as a country? think about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.