Floor Screed

rossifan

Evening all - not sure if this is the right section for a screed question but.....
I want to have a go at screeding my extension floor myself as no one seems to want the job for a labour only day.

The floor is 6.5 x 4.0 sq metres by about 70mm and is straight on to the concrete slab (insulation underneath) so only rad speedfit on the slab base.

Ive just got 4 ton of Thames Wash delivered and will pick up 40 odd bags of dust soon and bag of fibres. Also want to hire a pan mixer.

Do any screeders think I could do it myself in bays? Im getting on and by myself so doubt if I will get to mix it and lay it in a day. If I section it off with battens can I go back on it the next day and screed up to the previous days finish line. Should I put wall ties in the joint and do I need to keep it moist when finished ie a light spray of water every day?

Manythanks for any help.

4 ton of sand will just lay your screed of 26m square.
i have never seen a pan mixer also known as a screed master for hire.
it is best to lay a small screed like this in one day. if you do form a day joint use either d49 or chicken wire.
when you have finished your screed flood it and cover it with poly to sweat [cure] for 7 days.

Evening all - not sure if this is the right section for a screed question but.....
I want to have a go at screeding my extension floor myself as no one seems to want the job for a labour only day.

The floor is 6.5 x 4.0 sq metres by about 70mm and is straight on to the concrete slab (insulation underneath) so only rad speedfit on the slab base.

Ive just got 4 ton of Thames Wash delivered and will pick up 40 odd bags of dust soon and bag of fibres. Also want to hire a pan mixer.

Do any screeders think I could do it myself in bays? Im getting on and by myself so doubt if I will get to mix it and lay it in a day. If I section it off with battens can I go back on it the next day and screed up to the previous days finish line. Should I put wall ties in the joint and do I need to keep it moist when finished ie a light spray of water every day?

Manythanks for any help.
Where abouts are you I could drop this in for you possibly.

4 ton of sand will just lay your screed of 26m square.
i have never seen a pan mixer also known as a screed master for hire.
it is best to lay a small screed like this in one day. if you do form a day joint use either d49 or chicken wire.
when you have finished your screed flood it and cover it with poly to sweat [cure] for 7 days.

Thanks Malc,
I think I can get a diesel pan mixer from where I hire my diggers from. Their a proper plant hire outfit and have one listed.

I would like to do it in one hit but daylight and lack of expierience will go against me. Easy job for a proper screeder.

I think I should PVA the base the day before screeding and then mix a cement slurry with some more PVA mixed in and spread around as I lay the screed keeping it a wet on wet application so to speak.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Malc,
I think I can get a diesel pan mixer from where I hire my diggers from. Their a proper plant hire outfit and have one listed.

I would like to do it in one hit but daylight and lack of expierience will go against me. Easy job for a proper screeder.

I think I should PVA the base the day before screeding and then mix a cement slurry with some more PVA mixed in and spread around as I lay the screed keeping it a wet on wet application so to speak.

Thanks for the advice.

Not a screeder myself, but am sure I read on here that applying a slurry is a no no.....

Sure some else will advise better.

no slurry, no pva, just flood the concrete oversite this will give you more time to lay the screed.

i am also a couple of hours away, and my truck cannot enter the london admissions zone, sorry.

Thanks Malc,

i would guess that the pan mill mixer a heavy firm like that would have would be a huge mixer with an electric shovel used to batch concrete on site. make an enquiry.

i would guess that the pan mill mixer a heavy firm like that would have would be a huge mixer with an electric shovel used to batch concrete on site. make an enquiry.

Thanks for that. Will not bother with the slurry then.

The pan mixer is listed as a diesel pan paddle mixer, they also do a compact paddle mixer suitable for plastering on a 110v supply.
I know the electric shovel type your referring to, will ring them tomorrow to see if its that type. I guess that would be trailer mounted.

Shame you guys are not nearer.

Not in emission zone if anyone else up for it. I will go on mixer and barrow. Old age perisher now but can still keep up.....I think :)

Thanks for that. Will not bother with the slurry then.

The pan mixer is listed as a diesel pan paddle mixer, they also do a compact paddle mixer suitable for plastering on a 110v supply.
I know the electric shovel type your referring to, will ring them tomorrow to see if its that type. I guess that would be trailer mounted.

Shame you guys are not nearer.

Not in emission zone if anyone else up for it. I will go on mixer and barrow. Old age perisher now but can still keep up.....I think :)

we just purchase ready mix screed , no mixer sand and cement to purchase and the same mix from start to finish.

Ready mix has got to be the way to go.

If there's room for the sand and mixer, a tarp on the floor and delivered.

Ready mix has got to be the way to go.

If there's room for the sand and mixer, a tarp on the floor and delivered.

Yes I know but the drive is much lower than the level where the floor is. I spent yesterday lifting the the sand up from the drive into the dumper with my digger. Then it chucked it down and the dumper got stuck (Twice!!) halfway around to where the tarp is outside the floor so if that had been screed I would never have got it around and layed on my own before it went off. At least this way theres less of a panic. Looked at having it pumped up from the drive around the back of the house but the £1200 quote put me off. If I cock it up then that would have been the best way to go.

Yes I know but the drive is much lower than the level where the floor is. I spent yesterday lifting the the sand up from the drive into the dumper with my digger. Then it chucked it down and the dumper got stuck (Twice!!) halfway around to where the tarp is outside the floor so if that had been screed I would never have got it around and layed on my own before it went off. At least this way theres less of a panic. Looked at having it pumped up from the drive around the back of the house but the £1200 quote put me off. If I cock it up then that would have been the best way to go.
Wheelbarrow.

Floor this size. If you ordered ready mix and wheelbarrow u would actually enjoy putting it in. Handy we number

dude!! with respect, floor screeding is not something you want to "have a go at"
its a hard job, if not the hardest job in the building industry!
give me a shout if you want some advice, i am only in aldershot, where abouts in surrey art thou??

dude!! with respect, floor screeding is not something you want to "have a go at"
its a hard job, if not the hardest job in the building industry!
give me a shout if you want some advice, i am only in aldershot, where abouts in surrey art thou??

My advise is don't call people dude

[emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd pay more labour if you'd be mixing it by hand any way surely, even if you mix you prob wouldn't keep up with a screener hence why no one is interested!
I don't think you've saved much ordering it to mix than buying it ready mixed.
Sounds like you've created more of a bull ache for a job that could be pretty easy.
Have you had people say there not interested or you just didn't agree with there price?
Best of luck whatever you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pm incoming xx

Near Caterham Surrey mate. Could have had screed mixed by truck on site but would still need pump. Truck screed 135 plus dreaded per cu mtr. Need 2.5 mtrs. Have bought 4 ton of Thames Washed 160 incl and 40 bags of paper cement 142 inc. Sourced a pan mixer for 60 a day and 2 bags of fibres a tenner each. Hopefully screeder and labourer will turn up at 300 for the day. I will muck in. My main prob with tippimg is the guys wont turm up then Im sctewed with screed on drive and no chance of getting down by myself. Im still way under 1200 quid but they would have been in and out in 3 hours. Nice little earner. Hopefully laying it monday will keep you all posted.

Seut from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hurry up i"m waiting- photos please x x
hurry up i"m waiting- photos please x x

Couldn't manage to start my own post so had to hijack this one.

I have a garage floor to self level that is already painted. What's the best primer, sealer or can you get a pre grit for it. All the sealers I have seen are for bare concrete floors. Or will I have to create a quay for it i.e. grinding grooves in it etc.

I have a garage floor to self level that is already painted. What's the best primer, sealer or can you get a pre grit for it. All the sealers I have seen are for bare concrete floors. Or will I have to create a quay for it i.e. grinding grooves in it etc.
hmm if it was me i would want a decent mechanical key buddy, i.e grind, scabble, scarify, scutch hammer it to death, !!!

this may help

hmm if it was me i would want a decent mechanical key buddy, i.e grind, scabble, scarify, scutch hammer it to death, !!!

Thought as much thanks for reply. Really didn't want to go to those lengths. Will see if the customer wants to prep it he's sticking his nose in everything else.