Artex Fail.

Hi all. Complete novice here just after some advice please. I’m ambitious at the best of times and this was my first go at plastering a ceiling (I’ve done a couple of small walls previously).

Moved in to new home, begun decorating, every room has a painted Artex swirl pattern to ceilings so wanted to smooth over. Normally would get a pro in but wanted to try out a new skill for myself.

Had all the rooms tested, no Asbestos present in 5 samples from separate rooms. Did a bunch of research and PVA’d ceiling with a 5:1 mix. 24 hours later gave it all a mist layer, let it tack off then mixed 50/50 Thistle Bonding & Multi and got it on. It only needed to be 3mm thick to cover Artex.

Now I’m NOT a plasterer, it took me a while to first coat (around 80-90 mins). The room is 4x4 mts sq. Got it trowelled flat and I was happy.

Next day I PVA’d again with the 5:1 mix and got the first coat of Multi on using the rolling set (3 sections). It took me around 50 mins to get this on. First trowel and it was looking acceptable to me!

Just as I’m finishing the last corner I noticed a ridge over the other side. Checked it out and the plaster has sagged in a small area. I gently prodded it and, yep, a large section fell out.

Made a call and put a scraper under the plaster and more fell away. Gutted. Totally gutted lol. Ended up taking the whole lot down. The only area where it took was where I’d taken a fitted wardrobe out and the previous people hadn’t painted the ceiling.

I’m guessing the paint they used didn’t allow the PVA and first mix to bond properly?

Now left with a bit of a mess. I’m guessing the only way forward is to board over and finish?

Any help and advice is welcome. Sorry for long post!

Thanks.

Welcome :D