Artex Fail.

Members online

PeteC75

Hi all. Complete novice here just after some advice please. I’m ambitious at the best of times and this was my first go at plastering a ceiling (I’ve done a couple of small walls previously).

Moved in to new home, begun decorating, every room has a painted Artex swirl pattern to ceilings so wanted to smooth over. Normally would get a pro in but wanted to try out a new skill for myself.

Had all the rooms tested, no Asbestos present in 5 samples from separate rooms. Did a bunch of research and PVA’d ceiling with a 5:1 mix. 24 hours later gave it all a mist layer, let it tack off then mixed 50/50 Thistle Bonding & Multi and got it on. It only needed to be 3mm thick to cover Artex.

Now I’m NOT a plasterer, it took me a while to first coat (around 80-90 mins). The room is 4x4 mts sq. Got it trowelled flat and I was happy.

Next day I PVA’d again with the 5:1 mix and got the first coat of Multi on using the rolling set (3 sections). It took me around 50 mins to get this on. First trowel and it was looking acceptable to me!

Just as I’m finishing the last corner I noticed a ridge over the other side. Checked it out and the plaster has sagged in a small area. I gently prodded it and, yep, a large section fell out.

Made a call and put a scraper under the plaster and more fell away. Gutted. Totally gutted lol. Ended up taking the whole lot down. The only area where it took was where I’d taken a fitted wardrobe out and the previous people hadn’t painted the ceiling.

I’m guessing the paint they used didn’t allow the PVA and first mix to bond properly?

Now left with a bit of a mess. I’m guessing the only way forward is to board over and finish?

Any help and advice is welcome. Sorry for long post!

Thanks.

In your own house overboard every time. A 2.4mmx1.2mm plasterboad is £6.50 in wickes. A better job for not much more money.

Hi all. Complete novice here just after some advice please. I’m ambitious at the best of times and this was my first go at plastering a ceiling (I’ve done a couple of small walls previously).

Moved in to new home, begun decorating, every room has a painted Artex swirl pattern to ceilings so wanted to smooth over. Normally would get a pro in but wanted to try out a new skill for myself.

Had all the rooms tested, no Asbestos present in 5 samples from separate rooms. Did a bunch of research and PVA’d ceiling with a 5:1 mix. 24 hours later gave it all a mist layer, let it tack off then mixed 50/50 Thistle Bonding & Multi and got it on. It only needed to be 3mm thick to cover Artex.

Now I’m NOT a plasterer, it took me a while to first coat (around 80-90 mins). The room is 4x4 mts sq. Got it trowelled flat and I was happy.

Next day I PVA’d again with the 5:1 mix and got the first coat of Multi on using the rolling set (3 sections). It took me around 50 mins to get this on. First trowel and it was looking acceptable to me!

Just as I’m finishing the last corner I noticed a ridge over the other side. Checked it out and the plaster has sagged in a small area. I gently prodded it and, yep, a large section fell out.

Made a call and put a scraper under the plaster and more fell away. Gutted. Totally gutted lol. Ended up taking the whole lot down. The only area where it took was where I’d taken a fitted wardrobe out and the previous people hadn’t painted the ceiling.

I’m guessing the paint they used didn’t allow the PVA and first mix to bond properly?

Now left with a bit of a mess. I’m guessing the only way forward is to board over and finish?

Any help and advice is welcome. Sorry for long post!

Thanks.
:rolleyes: :eek: :whistle:

Bought a new Ferrari.......thought I’d give it its first service, learn a new skill, I’ve had previous mechanical experience putting a chain on my aunts pushbike, so I thought I’d give it a go...........
Anyhoo all went went well, took me abit of time, but I didn’t mind.......thing is, after a complete rebuild it occurred to me to try and turn the crankshaft........it wouldn’t budge!.........gave it turn on the key, and it blew up!
I think I put the wrong oil in.........pfft.
It’s a bit of a clutter in the garage now, I guess I’ll have to call a mechanic?

I've done 100s and no problems however. I always dig to see what's under the artex and make sure it's solid and well stuck. No white wash or distemper underneath.. If all good I scrape artex nibs off. 2 coats of artex sealer thinned a little. Allow to dry over night. Thick skim of multi finish. Then another wetter one and polish off. Done... Artex sealer is hard to get these days so having to use blue grit which is a pain sometimes but works just as well.. Really thick artex ceilings ill prep the same, then zombie mix first coat and then wet multi over. Done..Jmo. How I do it.

Fair enough if you want to have a go in your own home.........

Definitely overboard and skim. I would really recommend getting a professional in though if you want a good finish in your home because it won't be if you diy plaster. But again, it's your house. All the best

And not forgetting a 16m lid is a fair size if you're starting out. I've had a few stressful moments...overcame them though :musculoso:

This kind of s**t always makes me roll my eyes, buying a house is one of the biggest investments you are going to make in your life and so many people just want to try stuff and piss it all up....... Don’t worry I suppose some poor spread will get a call in the end to put all your f**k ups right. Get a professional in and stop f**k**g about!!!

Bought a new Ferrari.......thought I’d give it its first service, learn a new skill, I’ve had previous mechanical experience putting a chain on my aunts pushbike, so I thought I’d give it a go...........
Anyhoo all went went well, took me abit of time, but I didn’t mind.......thing is, after a complete rebuild it occurred to me to try and turn the crankshaft........it wouldn’t budge!.........gave it turn on the key, and it blew up!
I think I put the wrong oil in.........pfft.
It’s a bit of a clutter in the garage now, I guess I’ll have to call a mechanic?

I had a similar experience, I've been a decent cook and like to treat my wife to a new dish now and then, often a Jamie oliver recipe or even Nigella, with this new skill I've opened a 100 seater restaurant, first couple of orders went well then people started walking out.......I'm now bankrupt

And there was me thinking I’d posted my DO IT YOURSELF problem in the DO IT YOURSELF section of this forum?

Silly me...

Anyway, thanks for those that did reply with something worth a read. As for the Ferrari enthusiast, crap restaurant owner and the angry Hammer... bless :hola:

And there was me thinking I’d posted my DO IT YOURSELF problem in the DO IT YOURSELF section of this forum?

Silly me...

Anyway, thanks for those that did reply with something worth a read. As for the Ferrari enthusiast, crap restaurant owner and the angry Hammer... bless :hola:
No angry hammer about it mate. Plastering is not something to be messed with that’s all I’m saying. Would you try re-wiring your property or fitting central heating? I doubt it? Just because your a tight arse and don’t want to pay for a highly skilled and hard working tradesmen to come in and do a proper job you come on here with the bullshit about just fancied trying a new skill?? Well keep trying because it will all go tits up! Then your be charged accordingly. Plasterers have a skill just like other trades and should be treated as such! Not bullshitted into giving their hard earned skill and advice away to a dry lunch like you! Goodnight!! :hola:

No angry hammer about it mate. Plastering is not something to be messed with that’s all I’m saying. Would you try re-wiring your property or fitting central heating? I doubt it? Just because your a tight arse and don’t want to pay for a highly skilled and hard working tradesmen to come in and do a proper job you come on here with the bullshit about just fancied trying a new skill?? Well keep trying because it will all go tits up! Then your be charged accordingly. Plasterers have a skill just like other trades and should be treated as such! Not bullshitted into giving their hard earned skill and advice away to a dry lunch like you! Goodnight!! :hola:

I've fitted kitchens, built stud walls, laid umpteen floors, tiled kitchens and bathrooms, done basic electrical work, built decking platforms and sub-frames, landscaped gardens , painted, varnished and made a zillion cups of tea and I'm not a professional in any of those trades. Just because a trade may be skilled doesn't mean I can't attempt to give something a go. Life would be pretty f***ing boring otherwise, right? So excuse me for asking for some advice.

Also, bore off with your Danny Dyer dry lunch East End crap and put your precious 'I'm so special' attitude to use elsewhere. Don't see anyone else getting their knickers in such a twist on here... Jeeeez

I've fitted kitchens, built stud walls, laid umpteen floors, tiled kitchens and bathrooms, done basic electrical work, built decking platforms and sub-frames, landscaped gardens , painted, varnished and made a zillion cups of tea and I'm not a professional in any of those trades. Just because a trade may be skilled doesn't mean I can't attempt to give something a go. Life would be pretty f***ing boring otherwise, right? So excuse me for asking for some advice.

Also, bore off with your Danny Dyer dry lunch East End crap and put your precious 'I'm so special' attitude to use elsewhere. Don't see anyone else getting their knickers in such a twist on here... Jeeeez
You bore off you wally, you sound like a right old lady!! Lol. Carry on with your crappy plastering you mug! Before I get dyer round to give you a slap! :p:D P.s anymore artex fell on your head yet??

And by the way, If it was advice you wanted on a small job or patch then you would get it but your obviously just trying to do more than you can handle and being a tight arse by not paying to have it done properly by someone who has invested a lot of time and money to perfect their trade. Laughable really!!!!

And by the way, If it was advice you wanted on a small job or patch then you would get it but your obviously just trying to do more than you can handle and being a tight arse by not paying to have it done properly by someone who has invested a lot of time and money to perfect their trade. Laughable really!!!!

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Calm down dear.

Yeah...but you proper foooked your plastering up!!!!

When i overskim artex i always try to scrape any stipples flat or flatten the surface first. Then a good 4:1 dilution of pva is applied. I try to skim while the pva is tacky if you let it dry it can takes ages to go off. The problem with artex is when it soaks up the water in the bonding, or skimming it can come loose in parts. Especially if coats of vinyl silk have been applied over the years that kills the suction. Your adding a lot of extra weight to the ceiling having a reasonable amount of suction is the key so the water content pulls through. I only use bonding when its a heavy pattern. 2 coats of multi finish usually covers well and is very flat.
Never apply the 2nd coat until the 1st coat looks a bit dull but it still needs to be workable, that way you know the water content has soaked through.

f**k 4:1 whats wrong with you chancers. No wonder you have issues.
Skim artex constantly and never an issue.

1) IF if it needs scraping off just take peaks off.

2) pva it @ 50/50

3) get set up

Sometimes the pva can react and soften the artex. Rare but happens. If you skim it, the weight of skim will
Pull it all down.

You’ll learn to recognise this BEFORE
Skimming. The pva soaks in then you can literally scrape the artex off completely in jelly like sheets with 0 effort. You can then pva the flat ceiling and skim.

Also forget that dumb mix of bonding and multi. Just mix the multi up a bit thicker on first.

Never seen things so over-complicated in my life.

Oh and if you’re a litle bitch the over-board it.

I have overskimmed tonnes and tonnes of artex ceilings :D

PVA or Bonding agent... only had a very small amount fail... maybe 6... but I was doing ceilings every day for years so not bad :D

f**k 4:1 whats wrong with you chancers. No wonder you have issues.
Skim artex constantly and never an issue.

1) IF if it needs scraping off just take peaks off.

2) pva it @ 50/50

3) get set up

Sometimes the pva can react and soften the artex. Rare but happens. If you skim it, the weight of skim will
Pull it all down.

You’ll learn to recognise this BEFORE
Skimming. The pva soaks in then you can literally scrape the artex off completely in jelly like sheets with 0 effort. You can then pva the flat ceiling and skim.

Also forget that dumb mix of bonding and multi. Just mix the multi up a bit thicker on first.

Never seen things so over-complicated in my life.

Oh and if you’re a litle bitch the over-board it.

Agree with every word..

..apart from the bonding in multi bit

To be honest @lurpak I use to avoid overboarding ceilings in my early days as I could not be bothered :)

I’ve done alot of quotes where previous plasterers having recommended over-boarding simply because it’s artex. It’s just because they don’t know f**k all and only capable of skimming board.

I only really over-board if absolutely necessary. It’s so much more work and mess.

Old artex was hard, while the newer formula especially the £3 a bag stuff called contract artex used in the 1990s houses is soft as hell. Old artex if its been painted can take a Pva then skim as the emulsion will act as a sealer and moisture barrier, but the newer softer contract artex you need to seal day before to create a water barrier. Contact artex is so soft from freshly applied Pva it can cause problems and bubble and peal away (delamination) I see poorly plastered ceilings all the time. Real cit job some of it. Price it right and prep properly for trouble free skimming.