Float and set ceiling line.

Members online

Anybody got any good tips on getting a bang straight ceiling line please. Done loads of rough and skim on comercial sites mostly where grid is being fitted so easy to get straight and flat as nothing in your way.. always notice the odd deviation when roughing to a ceiling looking down the line. Any methods or ways I might not know to get it spot on?? Thanks

No matter how straight you get it, if you look directly down it it'll look pissed, same problem with creating angled ceiling lines.. hence why they are often rolled.

No one, ever, sticks their face against their walls and looks at how straight the wall line is.. ever, you may get it straight with a 2m straight edge but by the time you skim it you'll create slight deviations.

Ping a chalk line if need be and work to that.

I do bands when floating, start with ceiling then skirt, checking they’re plumb then fill the middle in. If i’m using sand and cement I go over it with the I section to take off any high spots.

Cheers for replys. Seems theres no tricks then. Just winds me up to look down line n i can see its not bang straight when I know it would be if walls were dotted

Nah mate all price work. We just keep chucking full walls on n rulling off till about 11 skim same day. Never really done it with creating bands or any other plumbing method. Heard of people sticking beads on or dotting strips plumb n filling n rulling inbetween to get walls bang on. But not got time for all that unfortunately.. I use all h sections, do you find feather edge type better for ceiling line?? Thanks

Nah mate all price work. We just keep chucking full walls on n rulling off till about 11 skim same day. Never really done it with creating bands or any other plumbing method. Heard of people sticking beads on or dotting strips plumb n filling n rulling inbetween to get walls bang on. But not got time for all that unfortunately.. I use all h sections, do you find feather edge type better for ceiling line?? Thanks
I dont like them h sections plenty do . I use a normal feather edge

i only use a featheredge, a very light weight one . i rule up to the ceiling line , then turn the feather edge over and feather down to give a sharp line.
i was taught that the 2 ceiling lines that you saw as you walked into the room was the most important.

plasterers in London, more so then Essex, used the H section and the darby more for floating carlite , hardwall, to get the base coat flat rather then ruling off.

My 8 foot Refina feather edge slightly flexes though so if you put a bit of pressure on it then it can slightly bend so need to be careful. Prefer the h section myself.

My 8 foot Refina feather edge slightly flexes though so if you put a bit of pressure on it then it can slightly bend so need to be careful. Prefer the h section myself.

if i remember correctly , British standard plastering gives you a tolerance of 10mm over a 2 metre length.

Pretty sure little more than that malc thought more like 3 metre

may be 3 metre. it is just you don't get many walls 3 metre high in the developers little boxes.
tolerances and brithish standards of plastering are low .

I like em mate. Just wondered if im missing a trick with feather edges
What ever your comfortable with using h section or feather edge no right or wrong everyone's got the difference preferences, personally prefer a feather edge or sand cement and hardwall, but have got a and use a 1200 h section for monocouche

Well how do you expect it to be good if you don't use the correct methods? You can't expect to just go crash, bang, wallop because you're on price and have a good outcome can you?

Well how do you expect it to be good if you don't use the correct methods? You can't expect to just go crash, bang, wallop because you're on price and have a good outcome can you?
You never see a brickie build a wall freehand without a string line, fixers and tilers use lasers, chippies set out properly but for plasterers must be the only trade that just go for it and hope for the best. Of course the blocks should be plumb and straight to start with, but that rarely happens.

Just chuck it on if you know what your doing it will be plumb and flat

H edge better ....feather edge brings water to the surface.
Gives wrong idea when ready for floating.
Headache cutting back set angles when walls still feel wet.

if i remember correctly , British standard plastering gives you a tolerance of 10mm over a 2 metre length.
worked on heysham nucler power station years ago s/c render to receive tiles/tolerance was 3mm over 10 metre run also on high suction clay brick nightmare

Work on a job in london they would only let you float 10 m2 max and the finish had to be ruled aswell

You never see a brickie build a wall freehand without a string line, fixers and tilers use lasers, chippies set out properly but for plasterers must be the only trade that just go for it and hope for the best. Of course the blocks should be plumb and straight to start with, but that rarely happens.
Plasterers use spirit levels and straight edges. What else would you suggest

Andy didn't say it was a bad outcome pal. All flat and plumb when edge is held to wall. Talking about slight deviations on longer runs when looking directly down line. No other site spreads I've seen mess about with box screed or creating bands tbh.