Flashing blade

Topspread16

What’s best way to blacken this @Vincey
D1BE938E-096F-486B-9F06-97B51A7B2633.jpeg

What’s best way to blacken this @Vincey View attachment 27275
A full bottle of White vinegar and same amount of coke bring to the boil then place a bit in a baking tray then put trowel in and cover with the rest of the boiling vinegar and coke
Leave for 10 minutes then take it out and let it drip dry itself on chopping board when it’s nearly dry rub softly with a micro clothe

Do it straight away before using the trowel for best platina I found
And take the white sticker off too mate

Last edited:
A full bottle of White vinegar and same amount of coke bring to the boil then place a bit in a baking tray then put trowel in and cover with the rest of the boiling vinegar and coke
Leave for 10 minutes then take it out and let it drip dry itself on chopping board when it’s nearly dry rub softly with a micro clothe

Waiting for you to add “and pop it into a pre heated oven for 20mins, serve with a green salad” !

Waiting for you to add “and pop it into a pre heated oven for 20mins, serve with a green salad” !
Sounds mad I know but I started looking into platina after olican and another old member ( sorry I forgot his tag name ) posted about it
A lot of American hunters do it and take real pride in the kind of platina they achieve with hunting knifes the above is what they do for fast platina so basically just tried it and worked
They even use mustard too cold on the blades to design a tiger skin pattern before they do the above
Tbf it’s quite interesting to view and different carbon trowel brands have come out in different shades and colours , the mt came out the best in terms of quickness to do and others I’ve had to do the process a few times to deepen it

f**k me I might take it back, more instructions than a gremlin. Can I get it wet after midnight?

Ordered another so i might do them both at same time. Cheers Pete. Feels good to go back to a wooden handle.

Forgot to say the white vinegar bottle is 500ml
Can’t beat wood
Been using my reserve trowel lately a 14x4 3/4 black handle mt it’s a minter only stopped using it to break another in. Got a killer dint in my other, twatty plumber beat me to the job and decided to hang the designer rad first then take it of leaving the brackets on. Dink, could of smacked myself in the face with the estwing.

Sounds mad I know but I started looking into platina after olican and another old member ( sorry I forgot his tag name ) posted about it
A lot of American hunters do it and take real pride in the kind of platina they achieve with hunting knifes the above is what they do for fast platina so basically just tried it and worked
They even use mustard too cold on the blades to design a tiger skin pattern before they do the above
Tbf it’s quite interesting to view and different carbon trowel brands have come out in different shades and colours , the mt came out the best in terms of quickness to do and others I’ve had to do the process a few times to deepen it
We've read some of the same material, the originator was @hicky I think he was ex military , and @beddy . Both respected and sorely missed from TPF. It was hicky and beddy that started the interest for me. Anyone that raves about flexible trowels haven't had a truly sharp carbon. I've got one that is wafer thin and bends more than any flex trowel. It is sharp and when I say sharp I mean "hack you up with an hatchet" sharp. The metal is still strong but the edge will kill. Nothing will finish any kind of plaster better on last pass...first and second don't count

We've read some of the same material, the originator was @hicky I think he was ex military , and @beddy . Both respected and sorely missed from TPF. It was hicky and beddy that started the interest for me. Anyone that raves about flexible trowels haven't had a truly sharp carbon. I've got one that is wafer thin and bends more than any flex trowel. It is sharp and when I say sharp I mean "hack you up with an hatchet" sharp. The metal is still strong but the edge will kill. Nothing will finish any kind of plaster better on last pass...first and second don't count
That’s them beddy and hicky
Both top guys
Sorry I forgot there names it’s been a long day

Tried to find more pictures
This was just after last time I did them
Curry trowel on left, mt in middle, made in 1974 tyzack tbf the tyzack had been used for years before I even got it and I didn’t want to do anything to it
First two pictures are the curry
FC610FA6-4287-4626-94DE-8C349BC97AF2.jpeg
CD53737B-C08F-4C2A-BF1A-937292E5E287.jpeg
46193036-D643-4CF7-910F-CE2E635EEEAD.jpeg

That takes it back to the old school were you have a dedicated finishing trowel. I can't comment on all the different types of trowels now as I've never felt the need to, not because I'm a luddite just not struggling with just having two trowels.

That takes it back to the old school were you have a dedicated finishing trowel. I can't comment on all the different types of trowels now as I've never felt the need to, not because I'm a luddite just not struggling with just having two trowels.
at the end of the day its not the trowel its the man behind it that creates perfection

A good pool player could beat you with a broom handle....a good spread could finish a wall ( well ) with any trowel

Yes mate .....but used ox towards end of the set.
The ox trowel sounds like a fuucking samurai sword at the end of it ....

Ssshhhhhhhwwwwwiiiiiinnnnggggg :sorprendido3::sorprendido3:
That big 18 incher? It is a sword, used to have a refina s*p*r*lex that big. Give it a mate.