first ever room in a day

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date

Members online

No members online now.
:birra:f**k laying room on in a day! Two days generally for most rooms, some times three, like the guys say you dont see other tradesmen running around sweating balls!

Some days I prep all, skim ceiling and go home for 1pm, then two sets following day.

Very rarely do I lay a wall on with ceiling unless rooms tiny!

Generally do anything from 1 bag to 3 bag sets (thats doing two coats).

Also as said above if you do it all in a day, deffo charge double or close to double! Personally Im happy with a couple hundred a day for taking it easy

3 bags would ONLY be on a new board work if it was a couple of large walls or ceiling might I add! Even thats wishful thinking though, 2 bags is enough 99% of the time lol

Good thread this!!!

I think I can speak for most on here I think when your starting out you go through a stage of paronia about how much you can put on and can remember really pushing myself to the absolute limit with my gauges.

Like lodan says gives you great satisfaction and makes you feel like a proper spread that slowly your self confidence will grow and you won't feel the need anymore.

I've gone full circle now and am a right lazy b*****d....

Its funny I've got about 7 different size buckets that fit/slot inside each other like Russian dolls used to often work as a 2 gang and biggest a big f**k water butt then a dust bin then 75ltr and so on the first outer 3 I just leave in for show now and giggle when I'm unloading van at wickes to put boards in etc at side of other newbie spreads when they think I'm working out of a 5 bagger dustbin lol.

In fact my bucket size gets smaller each yr i even chuckled yday at getting a wanky bag and and halfer gorilla tub out and went ah bollox its Friday and picked the 1 below out lol....

Just going through pretty much a full house at mo and arranging with customer what rooms to clear for what days etc said to her before I left yday if you can make sure I can get to 2 walls for Monday that's great.

Just got in van and chuckled my old apprentice would have died if he'd had seen what I've become the way I used to beast us both was unreal 3 rooms in a day when available me on stilts and tops of walls him mixing and pulling bottoms up whilst prepping next room.

Now I do 2 walls a day home for 3 and try and have Fridays off lol

Good lad lodan your getting there son!!!

Last edited:
:birra:f**k laying room on in a day! Two days generally for most rooms, some times three, like the guys say you dont see other tradesmen running around sweating balls!

Some days I prep all, skim ceiling and go home for 1pm, then two sets following day.

Very rarely do I lay a wall on with ceiling unless rooms tiny!

Generally do anything from 1 bag to 3 bag sets (thats doing two coats).

Also as said above if you do it all in a day, deffo charge double or close to double! Personally Im happy with a couple hundred a day for taking it easy
I wouldnt normally but like zombie said was sort of testing myself....also I think with the dog dying the other day it was a way of venting a bit of steam.....instead of my usual get drunk and have an argument on here.

I wouldnt normally but like zombie said was sort of testing myself....also I think with the dog dying the other day it was a way of venting a bit of steam.....instead of my usual get drunk and have an argument on here.
Mate,
If you wasn't a short arse... I honestly think if you was tall enough to reach the ceiling without steps you could bang that room out everyday .. No problem.

:birra:

Mate,
If you wasn't a short arse... I honestly think if you was tall enough to reach the ceiling without steps you could bang that room out everyday .. No problem.

Was a good idea what zombie said, if there was two of you one on stilts doing ceiling and putting the tops on I think you could do a room in a hit, wouldnt have thought of that myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Was a good idea what zombie said, if there was two of you one on stilts doing ceiling and putting the tops on I think you could do a room in a hit, wouldnt have thought of that myself

That's what we used to go 1 room 1 hit out of a dustbin x3 is your 3 rooms a day all wet angles twitched.

Sounds strange but yoused to seam easy!

Mate,

Thats true that is, I'm 6 foot 7 and do everything off the floor pr a crate, the up and down game is what slows you down, a average ceiling height in most houses round here is 7.5/8foot I get two of them on in a set our other lad about a foot shorter than me is still laying on by the time I done both.

The up and down game slows you down definitely. And I ain't fast.

Thats true that is, I'm 6 foot 7 and do everything off the floor pr a crate, the up and down game is what slows you down, a average ceiling height in most houses round here is 7.5/8foot I get two of them on in a set our other lad about a foot shorter than me is still laying on by the time I done both.

The up and down game slows you down definitely. And I ain't fast.
House im in at the minute the ceilings are 3m high, so im right to the top of my step ladder everytime, makes the ceiling a right ballache

That's what we used to go 1 room 1 hit out of a dustbin x3 is your 3 rooms a day all wet angles twitched.

Sounds strange but yoused to seam easy!

When i was learning I used to see a 3 gang do this, one put on a big 4 bagger, one put the ceiling on, one put the tops round to the middle of the wall and the lad mixing up would put on the bottoms.

2 and a half hours later they would twitch it all and piss off into the next room.

Its still amazes me now, there work was faultless.

i think when you get to a certain age, it seems less important how much you can do in 1 hit / 1 day ,--- i'm quite happy to just mark a few test papers, and do couple of demonstrations in a day:inocente::inocente::inocente: more interested in booking holidays these days :descansando:

I wont be doing it again anytime soon...i was meant to do two sets today and had to pack up after the first as my wrist was so sore....fannied around filling some chases in for an hour instead

I'm 5ft 8, and do ceilings off a hop up. Tried stilts but didn't feel safe. Not confident enough I guess.

Am 5'8 with a 6ft cock :birra:
Tis true..

big_rooster.jpg

Clemo does have a big cock(y)

When i was learning I used to see a 3 gang do this, one put on a big 4 bagger, one put the ceiling on, one put the tops round to the middle of the wall and the lad mixing up would put on the bottoms.

2 and a half hours later they would twitch it all and piss off into the next room.

Its still amazes me now, there work was faultless.
I worked in a gang that did exactly that I was knocking up for 3 blokes non stop for each hit and while they was trowelling up I would go and scrim and bead up sort water bags ect ready to go again only thing I did like was 7am start leave at 2 maybe 3 latest but if one had a holiday to pay for they sometimes decided to another hit I could almost of cried but glad I stuck at it these days I don't do site work and think the commercial side I wouldn't earn my money now lost the speed I did have being on domestics

We always do 1 room 1 hit I cnt stand going bk in a room to do 1 wall or reveals etc once in in that room its getting blasted off..1 man on stilts doing ceiling and bringing walls down a couple foot and other man doing all bottoms with no labourer..I'm prob turn into zombie in 10 years

We always do 1 room 1 hit I cnt stand going bk in a room to do 1 wall or reveals etc once in in that room its getting blasted off..1 man on stilts doing ceiling and bringing walls down a couple foot and other man doing all bottoms with no labourer..I'm prob turn into zombie in 10 years

Its working on your own I find turns you lazy!!!

Had all the motivation and love in thecworld for the trade when was a 2 gang!

Just to be a coont and because everyone else on here has turned into presenters from the antiques roadshow I'll say.....Well done loadon, but....Not one person has mentioned how important quality is over quantity. Six bags is great on a domestic job on your lonesome. But if it looks like monkey s**t thrown at a wall then that's not good. I know 3 weeks into plastering if I put 6 bags on in a day it wouldn't have looked much better than Boris Johnsons hairdo.

Ye man wheres the pics!!! We know u took them lodan!? U defo took some pics of 1st room u did..I cringe now at some of work I must of left bk in younger days compared to now

Not got no pictures but the work was fine on quality, no easifill required I dont think....it was all pulling in nice and even looking when I looked today

Happy to take pics of the next room but that will be three hits not two

Its working on your own I find turns you lazy!!!

Had all the motivation and love in thecworld for the trade when was a 2 gang!
Zombie am the same as u I just stopped doing big sets. on a new build I'll do 3 small sets. On domestic 2 walls at best

Just to be a coont and because everyone else on here has turned into presenters from the antiques roadshow I'll say.....Well done loadon, but....Not one person has mentioned how important quality is over quantity. Six bags is great on a domestic job on your lonesome. But if it looks like monkey s**t thrown at a wall then that's not good. I know 3 weeks into plastering if I put 6 bags on in a day it wouldn't have looked much better than Boris Johnsons hairdo.

+1 to this. I'd rather my lads did 3 1 bag hits that were perfect, than 2 3 bag hits that were under trowelled or had scabby edges etc.

image.jpeg