Filling cracks successfully

matts1

Hi, I've previously worked quite a few years as a plasterer/decorator, and now, for a change, have had the privilege of plastering in my own house as previously I was renting. Having plastered some big rooms in a Victorian House with eleven foot ceilings, having given my imported US stilts a try out on a 26 x 14 Ft room; The lathe and plaster ceiling did develop a crack due to thermal contraction as the room was left to get very chilly during the cold weather. Do you think that if the entire ceiling had been scrimmed with heavy duty scrim (the 50m x 1m type of roll) that this type of crack would be prevented? Or is it that if the walls get cold enough then nothing will stop certain cracks appearing ? The kitchen which is relatively small also has a thermal expansion crack which flexible filler only hides until it moves. The paint cracks on top of the filler although the integrity of the filler (placed into V shaped notch) remains secure. I was wondering about cutting out a 6 inch or one foot strip and replastering with the heavy duty scrim over that portion.....or would I just go round in circles if the room gets too cold? What do you think? I'd much appreciate a voice of experience here. (Sandstone walls)

f**k that.gif

...... I did once skim a Victorian lath and plaster ceiling after having put about 100 metres of narrow scrimtape over multiplied cracks. Other plasterers would definitely have overboarded, yet 5 years later it was still in great shape. However the folks certainly didn't live on a tight budget so would likely never have let the room get very cold.

...just noticed as well that I didn't explain properly that I was thinking to cut out a 6 inch or 1 foot wide strip for the long kitchen wall crack. Whether using wider heavy duty scrim rather than just regular self adhesive 50mm stuff would be able to spread the contraction/expansion forces underneath it sufficiently?.

Hi, I've previously worked quite a few years as a plasterer/decorator, and now, for a change, have had the privilege of plastering in my own house as previously I was renting. Having plastered some big rooms in a Victorian House with eleven foot ceilings, having given my imported US stilts a try out on a 26 x 14 Ft room; The lathe and plaster ceiling did develop a crack due to thermal contraction as the room was left to get very chilly during the cold weather. Do you think that if the entire ceiling had been scrimmed with heavy duty scrim (the 50m x 1m type of roll) that this type of crack would be prevented? Or is it that if the walls get cold enough then nothing will stop certain cracks appearing ? The kitchen which is relatively small also has a thermal expansion crack which flexible filler only hides until it moves. The paint cracks on top of the filler although the integrity of the filler (placed into V shaped notch) remains secure. I was wondering about cutting out a 6 inch or one foot strip and replastering with the heavy duty scrim over that portion.....or would I just go round in circles if the room gets too cold? What do you think? I'd much appreciate a voice of experience here. (Sandstone walls)
Leave heating on full.

Is there cornice? If not overboard it

'Filling cracks successfully'

@superspread View attachment 68104
Well it did look super 'til it cracked! Still it only cracked so that I noticed it after over one year....but it did go right the way across the room.

Incidentally I wasn't "super" enough to plaster it expertly without putting cream of tartare in the mix, and also I needed to put on a third coat over it all to tighten it up and also I had to have my daughter hand up the hawk to me. I didn't do any somersaults either.

'Filling cracks successfully'

@superspread View attachment 68104
Well it did look super 'til it cracked! Still it only cracked so that I noticed it after over one year....but it did go right the way across the room.

Incidentally I wasn't "super" enough to plaster it expertly without putting cream of tartare in the mix and also I needed to put on a third coat over it all to tighten it up and also I had to have my daughter hand up the hawk to me. I didn't do any somersaults either.
Is there cornice? If not overboard it
Yes there is a cornice.....but I've seen boards crack that have been double scrimmed. I have a hunch that with the crack occurring during the coldest longest period that the room was without heat that it might be just impossible on a large ceiling to prevent a crack from occurring with temperature dropping by maybe 20 centigrade. I'd be glad to be wrong or even more glad to use a flexible filler which paint wouldn't fracture over. Maybe I should just use the flexible filler I've used and paint over instead with Rustoleum Mathys flexible waterproofing paint....that probably wouldn't crack with 400% elasticity....but If I could solve the wall crack with heavy duty scrim would be easier to paint over with Dulux or equivalent .

How come there's not more fanny jokes? I hope the plasterers forum isn't loosing it's edge
Oh my goodness. I should have thought twice and three times before posting that thread on here. I'm a Christian lad and it's not as if I'm not familiar with the content on here as I've been grateful to pick up many a helpful tip whilst browsing incognito.

Oh my goodness. I should have thought twice and three times before posting that thread on here. I'm a Christian lad and it's not as if I'm not familiar with the content on here as I've been grateful to pick up many a helpful tip whilst browsing incognito.

Perhaps check out the ‘Chrispy house diary’

Chopping out the cracks on the lath and plaster ceiling is just going to cause you more work and will potentially cause other areas close by to lose the bond to the lath if there’s hollow areas overboarding is your best option