Failed Coving on a new build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Private Member
Eyup Chaps,

About 4yrs ago I was asked to cove a couple of rooms downstairs in a newbuild that had just been painted. I advised at the time that I would wait a couple of years as everything's still settling and it may crack out and again as already painted not an ideal key even with pva etc.

Anyway low and behold a couple of lengths have given on the ceiling edge. I said I could take down and refit though may happen again as going on to paint again or could leave up but nip it up by screwing into the joist and then filling the screw heads and cork up ceiling and wall line etc.

Obviously this will only work for the wall that goes length ways over the joists.

Any suggestions on a suitable drywall plug to nip it up to the other wall where no joists ie do you think a brown plug and screw will suffice?

PS. Never knowingly had this happen before though not surprised really when I think about it anyone else had this before?

Thanks Zombie

You could take down and carefully paint the wall and ceiling with WBA or similar to provide a key. Or a brown plug might hold if your gentle with it.

You could take down and carefully paint the wall and ceiling with WBA or similar to provide a key. Or a brown plug might hold if your gentle with it.

Hi Carlos,

Im defo inclined to go down the dryfix soloutions first as tbh I did advise my concerns at the time but you and only really helping out of courtesy and there homes like something out of showroom be scared to death of making any mess with adhesive etc! Any tips on the plugs? Im thinking mechanical key probabley better considering the paint issue also.

Cheers Zombie

just a thought and maybe a daft one but could you put the brown plugs in the day before and cover them in grip fill and squirt some grip fill in the hole before you put the brown plugs in to help them stick to the ceiling more

You could try using 50 mm drywall screws and toshing them in at an angle opposite ways to each other,in other words the screw heads are facing each other,that way the coving can't just drop downward,that's what I do when I'm fixing fibrous,

just a thought and maybe a daft one but could you put the brown plugs in the day before and cover them in grip fill and squirt some grip fill in the hole before you put the brown plugs in to help them stick to the ceiling more
You are right upto the first line.

Plugs get a hold when the screw goes in they expand , really the plug should be in something solid possibly would work not perfect though .......

just trying to think of away to make the brown plugs a bit more solid, the plasterboard fixings you mentioned would be a better fixing but would leave a bigger hole in the cove then you would have to use washers when you screwed it,, no ideal fix, as you cant take coving down

Is it all coming down on its own? It's surely all going to come down eventually. Blue grit where the coving sits and new coving up buttered up with joint filler (fast set) . That's what I'd do anyway. You did warn them it would happen . It's better you take it down rather than falling on a tv or a kid.

Never plugged coving ever, never had coving fall down either. So dont bother with the plugs.

Scratch the ceiling / walls with a stanleyt knife, then buy proper coving adhesive (fibrefix or Lafarge ca120) and some dryline screws and you will be fine. What sort of coving was it?

just trying to think of away to make the brown plugs a bit more solid, the plasterboard fixings you mentioned would be a better fixing but would leave a bigger hole in the cove then you would have to use washers when you screwed it,, no ideal fix, as you cant take coving down
The fixings would not be in the coving, tell him off @superspread

Last edited by a moderator:
Never plugged coving ever, never had coving fall down either. So dont bother with the plugs.

Scratch the ceiling / walls with a stanleyt knife, then buy proper coving adhesive (fibrefix or Lafarge ca120) and some dryline screws and you will be fine. What sort of coving was it?
Halleluja

How about some 3 or 4 inch screws through the centre of the coving at an angle so they catch the joist next to the wall?

No not at all Mike, the Coving has probably taken the paint with it and as you said it needed a key by scoring the paint and nothing further. This being the case for Gyproc and the like.

No not at all Mike, the Coving has probably taken the paint with it and as you said it needed a key by scoring the paint and nothing further. This being the case for Gyproc and the like.

How can he key wivout taking the cove down?which he dosent want to do,that's what he should of done originally tho

Like what super spread said get some long drywall screw and go in at an angle the. Opposite angle on the next screw and then so on.

How can he key wivout taking the cove down?which he dosent want to do,that's what he should of done originally tho
Yep your right, I should of read the post a bit more thoroughly. Its still going to need some sort of redecoration work though so I would replace the lengths if possible.

Thanks for all the replies chaps really appreciate your ideas. Just to answer couple of questions its just your standard 5" gyproc cove would have been plasterboard adhesive to stick up as that's what ive always used. Presently its just on 2 long lengths that join in 1 corner.

I think where I cant catch any joists going to pilot hole squirt some pinkgrip through and try brown plug or drywall plugs first.

Thanks again lads!:RpS_thumbup:

I always think that all that keying the paint does is just make it potentially more loose/likely to fail with the added weight/moisture. But may be im wrong who knows!

Yes you can't argue with mike Adams!!! Or Ryan will come round and slap you !! :RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.