EML Fixings to solid wall

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkfish

I have recently done a job where stainless steel EML was fixed to an already rendered wall and then scratch coated and topped to a sponge finish. The customer has been the type who is constantly taking pictures and looking over your shoulder. He has now come back to me saying that I have not used enough fixings and that I need to put 6mm thick fibre washers behind the EML itself to create a gap. My fixings are between 200mm and 350mm depending on how tight I have got the EML. It is the use of spacers behind the fixings that I do not understand as EML still naturally comes away from the wall to create a gap for the scratch to tie to and go behind. Is this a new method or just some over paid surveyors bright idea as I really don't see the benefit?

eml is of no use for this type of work you should have used rib lath. the render cannot get round the back of the eml as it is flat against the wall therefore not a good key. it is impossible to fit washers behind the fixings on eml

Should ave use rib lath. He don't no what he's taking about mate been rendering 4 30 years and never had a problem I allways damp the wire first old boy taught me that way

eml is of no use for this type of work you should have used rib lath. the render cannot get round the back of the eml as it is flat against the wall therefore not a good key. it is impossible to fit washers behind the fixings on eml

same as above

Should ave use rib lath. He don't no what he's taking about mate been rendering 4 30 years and never had a problem I allways damp the wire first old boy taught me that way

430 years.....wow what was your apprenticeship like back then buddy?

Is stainless eml really required in over rendering,normal eml would last decades unless its on the coast IMO

eml and rib lath should both be obsolete now. when the sun bakes the wall the metal will expand and crack the render. fibreglass mesh is the way forward.

infact id be happier with my method of eml over old render , using the right products , near the coast with galv stuff , than going over new blockwork these days

eml and rib lath should both be obsolete now. when the sun bakes the wall the metal will expand and crack the render. fibreglass mesh is the way forward.
How do you go over existing painted render with fibre glass? How does it afix

How do you go over existing painted render with fibre glass? How does it afix

you do need to get into ewi john. mushroom fixings. these are plastic mushrooms with a nail through the centre, which hold the mesh/scrim to the wall. you can get different type of fixings for different structures.

you do need to get into ewi john. mushroom fixings. these are plastic mushrooms with a nail through the centre, which hold the mesh/scrim to the wall. you can get different type of fixings for different structures.
Ok but that's sufficient to hold 15 mm render?

It's what they fix the insulation boards with before the thin coat render so it would be fine bud

you carry out pull test before you start ewi. on a tower block that is going to be dashed you put the fixings through the mesh to make sure that the mesh will take the weight.

The eml supposed to be tight to the wall. It's slanted so it holds the plaster. As long as it's fixed properly. Ask him where he hear this information from.

Sent from my iPhone using The Plasterers Forum

The eml supposed to be tight to the wall. It's slanted so it holds the plaster. As long as it's fixed properly. Ask him where he hear this information from.

It is slanted , but should still have packer strips under where the fixings are etc so it can sit right behind the mesh

I did a job a few years back in my earlier years.i fixed the Eml flat onto the wall.the render failed and was told by another spread that rib lath should of been used.from then on rib lath it is

I have recently done a job where stainless steel EML was fixed to an already rendered wall and then scratch coated and topped to a sponge finish. The customer has been the type who is constantly taking pictures and looking over your shoulder. He has now come back to me saying that I have not used enough fixings and that I need to put 6mm thick fibre washers behind the EML itself to create a gap. My fixings are between 200mm and 350mm depending on how tight I have got the EML. It is the use of spacers behind the fixings that I do not understand as EML still naturally comes away from the wall to create a gap for the scratch to tie to and go behind. Is this a new method or just some over paid surveyors bright idea as I really don't see the benefit?

You are saying you recently completed the job?

So has it failed?

Make sure the mortar is soft so it goes in to the eml then you should have no problems

I had to hack off some old render where the EML had been fixed straight onto the substrate and trust me the muck had got right behind the mesh, a ******* to get off.

I had to hack off some old render where the EML had been fixed straight onto the substrate and trust me the muck had got right behind the mesh, a ******* to get off.
The worry that I would have is rendering over eml on to painted render,

Status
Not open for further replies.