Efflorescence problems

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamruairi

Any help in this is much appreciated!
The alcove wall in the upstairs bedroom was getting very bad damp and efflorescence problems. We had whole of upstairs replastered. Before I had the plastering done I hacked off the plaster on this bit back to bare brick and had flashing replaced on the chimneystack. Water was getting down behind the render outside and causing damp. (We think!). Once it had dried, we had it plastered back in mid april. You can see from the pictures effolorescence is a big problem and the plaster (especially on one dark bit) seems to be taking ages to dry out. I have rubbed it off periodically and the current salt deposits seem to be the least / slowest growing so far. Oh, and there isnt any guttering leaking if youre thinking that because its on a gable wall so goes straight up.

Question: should I wait till the salt stops coming? Will it be ok to prime then wallpaper? Or is there a product I can use? Or does it need rehacking off and replastering?
Pics have all rotated 90 degres to the left for some reason.

Thanks so much for any help or advice
Liam

Theyre there i can see them? Also should add the affected but of wall is only the top 1/3. And pics seem right way round now! Wierd.

It could be a absorbent brick and if its a 9 inch wall with header courses it could be the problem ? What exactly did he hack off and what did he use to patch it up with ?

Hacked off the top old style skim and plaster / mortar stuff. Back to bare brick then think he bonded it and skimmed
I would have used sand and cement instead of bonding.Even though you may have stopped any leaks any of the existing damp will rot the bonding.

Cause of the problem is the bonding. Hack off and render (sand and cement) with a waterproofer containing a salt neutraliser such as rendermix from Sovchem or not as good safeguards w/proofer. Not a bad idea to coat the bricks with a salt neutraliser first if you know a local damp proofer who will give you half a cup full as it's about £30 a gallon.
Saying that, sounds like you're in Ireland and they don't need damp proofers over there because Rising damp doesn't travel to Ireland

No in sheffield! Thanks for advice, so ater ive renderd with the salt neutralising render and its dried i just skim with finishing plaster?

No in sheffield! Thanks for advice, so ater ive renderd with the salt neutralising render and its dried i just skim with finishing plaster?[/QUOTE

Yes. Sovereign chemicals are based in Barrow in/ Furness, best quality w/proofer with salt neutraliser built in on the market. It's about £40 a gallon though and for the small amount you need it's probably worth asking a local plasterer for a little bit ang giving him a drink. Not literally though because drinking and plastering is frowned upon. In some circles

Cause of the problem is the bonding. Hack off and render (sand and cement) with a waterproofer containing a salt neutraliser such as rendermix from Sovchem or not as good safeguards w/proofer. Not a bad idea to coat the bricks with a salt neutraliser first if you know a local damp proofer who will give you half a cup full as it's about £30 a gallon.
Saying that, sounds like you're in Ireland and they don't need damp proofers over there because Rising damp doesn't travel to Ireland
Sounds like another case of falling damp, Edwardo

Sounds like another case of falling damp, Edwardo

Falling damp is a MAJOR problem in Ireland. I know, I've just spent 2 weeks over there on the west coast, p1ssed down every day. Almost got stuck driving down a road submerged in 4 ft deep water, exhaust back box exploded, now THAT was rising damp

Falling damp is a MAJOR problem in Ireland. I know, I've just spent 2 weeks over there on the west coast, p1ssed down every day. Almost got stuck driving down a road submerged in 4 ft deep water, exhaust back box exploded, now THAT was rising damp
should have taken a couple of tubes of Dryzone to stop the water

Lucky to get thru it, a high tide backed up a tidal river, engine was just about to die as I got out of it. Expanding foam would have been better. Dashboard was like a Christmas tree as all the electrical circuits started dying

I didnt see your reply, i could Of Just copied and paste ( like i normaly do )

Oki think ill try the sand cement method, what would be a good walkthrough? Hack off, wash bricks with salt preventer, leave bricks to dry out few days, plaster sand cement (ratios?? I have no idea) then multifinish skim on top. Dont want to board will be much easier if I can skim it

Oki think ill try the sand cement method, what would be a good walkthrough? Hack off, wash bricks with salt preventer, leave bricks to dry out few days, plaster sand cement (ratios?? I have no idea) then multifinish skim on top. Dont want to board will be much easier if I can skim it
Ratios 4/1 or 5/1 ,the rest is near enough

That's great thanks. The only thing I need to find now is a decent cheap salt preventer chemical near Sheffield for the tiny amount needed; any recommendations do trade point do anything useable?

That's great thanks. The only thing I need to find now is a decent cheap salt preventer chemical near Sheffield for the tiny amount needed; any recommendations do trade point do anything useable?
Generally something you get from good paint shops here in spain called antisalitre, maybe same there ask in paint shop. Or google

Read the instructions and no don't mix with sand and cement.

Stuff I use I give it a wash the day before undiluted.
Then when I start I soak it again 1:1 and let that soak in the apply the render coat.

So ive just hacked the paster off, and he hadnt even bonded it. Just skimmed straight onto the brick. As the bricks were sticking out unevenly some parts of the skim were over 1 inch thick. Have washed bricks with salt neutraliser yesterday and going to s/c later today. Should i add a squirt of fairy liquid to the mix? Ill post results in due course.
Thans for all help chaps!

So ive just hacked the paster off, and he hadnt even bonded it. Just skimmed straight onto the brick. As the bricks were sticking out unevenly some parts of the skim were over 1 inch thick. Have washed bricks with salt neutraliser yesterday and going to s/c later today. Should i add a squirt of fairy liquid to the mix? Ill post results in due course.
Thans for all help chaps![/QUOTE

NO FAIRY LIQUID

Render it with rendering sand , cement and a quality waterproofer that also contains a salt neutraliser

Thanks, picked up an admix from toolstation with waterproofer and salt neutraliser in it so will add this in tonight when im rendering it.

Dont just hack off and render the patch, go right past it otherwise youl be getting some nice salt bands appearing.

Thanks, picked up an admix from toolstation with waterproofer and salt neutraliser in it so will add this in tonight when im rendering it.

When this works Liam, it will by the way, you will have saved yourself 2 visits from a clued up plasterer prob costing £300 or whatever currency they use up north. Maybe you could give a £20 maybe donation to a cancer charity of your choice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.