E.W.I SCRIM

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used metre scrim on internal this week, went very well. Not used this render scrim before and when noticed it wasn't self adhesive and very thick thought it would be a nightmare, but pva'd dry walls and applied when tacky and it stayed (overnight too) only few of the smaller bits fell off. Two coat skim only and covered no problem , good finish and no scrim bunching which was lovely. 1st coat covers it well.

Attachments

• E.W.I SCRIM
    1456990402962.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 261
My worry with that is that you haven't bedded it in...

If you was to render you would apply base coat and push it into it...

In essence its stuck to the wall by PVA only...not the way I would have done it I must admit...

Would have done it your way if self adhesive style though!

Saying that would be an absoloute ballache bedding into skim also

See what you're saying, but gaps inbetween with pva to plaster will hold it. There's no way a huge sheet would come off. Can't see why self adhesive would be ok but not pva, the adhesion on scrim is rubbish.

See what you're saying, but gaps inbetween with pva to plaster will hold it. There's no way a huge sheet would come off. Can't see why self adhesive would be ok but not pva, the adhesion on scrim is rubbish.

Yeah I know what you mean...ref self adhesive scrim its much thinner and lighter in material than ewi scrim though

Peeled some back that was done yesterday where coving going, just to see how it stuck. Pic here shows that it gets through mesh to the wall pretty well and adhesion seemed good. (Thankfully as was getting paranoid after yesterday's conversation zombie)

Attachments

• E.W.I SCRIM
    1457105192031.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 272
Haha, yeah probably all be on the floor on Monday. Gonna go back in a few months and take a look as the customer is a good bloke and interested in what I was doing. Room he had skimmed few years back without any reinforcement has loads of hairlines so will be interesting. Going to use it from now on though as most won't hack off.

I've been using it got two rolls off eBay for 50 notes. It's a lot heavier than normal scrim but doesn't really affect time apart from cutting it to size and making sure there's no major scrimdanglers haha. Il try and get pics on

Just can't make my head around the way is used. I have adopted it from the thin coat render and think the mesh at the very back of the plaster is just waste of time and material. Correct me if I am wrong.

E.W.I SCRIM
The mesh lets the skim through like you can see on square head s photo. so that's enough to prove its got good adhesion and in my eyes can only help reduce chances of cracking. How can in not ? Only if the skim doesn't make it through to the wall! ??

Well here is my theory, not necessarily to agree of course! Mesh at the back of any render or plaster does almost nothing. The reason why mesh is used with render is to reduce the chances of cracking by reducing the strength of the adhesive and increase the overall flexibility . In order to achieve this you need to keep the mesh at 1/3 from the surface of the render, that's ideally , but at least you have to bed it in. With plastering I use it quite a lot , especially under the stairs and places under a lot of stres and always apply normal first coat, mesh on,bed it and continue as normal. Not sure if you have all the benefits from using it like this.

I meshed a whole room once... the customer insisted... I dont think it ever cracked... not sure if i would bother doing it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.