Dying trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basher

I keep hearing that plastering is a dying trade what is meant by this? does it mean noone is taking it up as a trade or what? many thanks lads

in the last couple of years I don't recall seeing any apprentice spreads on sites I've been on. On saying that though, if you were a 16 year old again would plastering be the trade you chose? It's bloody hard graft. Not at all like being a sparky...

thats prolly cos all an 'apprentice' has to do now is phone up the government, get someone to come and take a picture of him holding a trowel while the gaffers having a dump and presto, he's a 'tradesman'...

how many shite plasterers did you come acrossin the last 2 years? they'll be the 'apprentices' ;D

True i have only been plastering 7 years i'm 26 but even when i was a apprentice when i 19 there was only 4 of us at college and 1 of them was a 36 yr old so i get what your saying

plastering has been "dieing" for years like when taping started kicking off and drylining started getting bigger

but ive started seeing alot more solid plastering jobs coming up, there will always be a call for a proper plasterer altho the trade is splitting up alot more with these short courses you have a new trade SKIMMER they like to call themselves plasterers tho (bless them) ::)

but then again im not a plasterer either cos i cant screed ;D well not with any great speed anyway

Well i class myselve as a plasterer and i can do all aspects of plastering also coving and floor screeding

RainbowThistlePlastering said:
in the last couple of years I don't recall seeing any apprentice spreads on sites I've been on. On saying that though, if you were a 16 year old again would plastering be the trade you chose? It's bloody hard graft. Not at all like being a sparky...

just put one through but they dont know f**k all at the end of it

I also think apprentices cost to much for a small buisines they spend most of there time in collage or on holiday nobody wants to pay for that as for plasterers screeding I didn't do any till I moved to brum in scotland we learned roofing aswell don't no why but that's how it works up here .and also who wants to be a spread covered in s**t when you could be a sparky and wear your sunday best all week

You might be getting mixed up with the term dying art and it is, plasterboard and the way buildings are being built but with global warming and plasterboard waste being a problem, floating might make a comeback and a lot of these new builds will not stand the test of time like your old terrace house so maybe a good trade to get into but get qualified and learn all disciplines and maybe a good trade to have. I started my apprenticeship 21 years ago when computers were kicking off and there wasnt a lot of kids getting a trade seemed too much like hard work but has served me well, a bit like today a lot of kids have been pampered and a bit of hard work is far too much for a lot but always a good to get a trade, (german word) im sounding old lol

Defo a good trade to be in if you can do the whole spectrum, as i think float and set will be the way forward again . Its hard graft but sure does pay well if your any good and i cant see too many newcomers wanting to learn how to float as its too much like hard work :eek:

SLIPPY said:
Defo a good trade to be in if you can do the whole spectrum, as i think float and set will be the way forward again . Its hard graft but sure does pay well if your any good and i cant see too many newcomers wanting to learn how to float as its too much like hard work :eek:

Thats the problem you get an apprentice he learns to skim then fucks off and never learns anything else definetly a dying art.

Def not a dying trade in fact i think it will always be a trade in demand,refurb work especially,then there's global warming(thermal value,s in renders etc).

SLIPPY said:
Not to mention roughcasting, rendering dashing ,quoins, bands , skimming is simple in comparison ::)

Yeah, as i have said before, up here there's painters doin skimmin (don't think they do it in three coats though :-\ ).
I'd much prefer to be outside anyways so their welcome to it. Plus when i do get some skimmin to do it's F*****g sunny so i have to do it at nights so i don't waste the few dry days we get..

when i was a kid they thought an ice age was on the way, using the same data they then said global warming and now, as you say, climate change

My son has just started working with me... he is 23 got 6 "A" levels but after leaving college he could only get a job in a call centre... i told him when he was 16 to come and work with daddy but he was to much into computer design cr*p and didnt want to get dirty.
I do all aspects but trying to teach him basic handboard and trowell skills is time consuming... but anyway he will learn the lot with me

it is difficult though teaching someone how to hold a trowel when your trying to earn money. let my lab loose on my trowel on the last day before xmas just like when you were at school and it was no uniform, bring a toy in day. oh well, we will move onto the hawk next xmas eh. :D

goody said:
it is difficult though teaching someone how to hold a trowel when your trying to earn money. let my lab loose on my trowel on the last day before xmas just like when you were at school and it was no uniform, bring a toy in day. oh well, we will move onto the hawk next xmas eh. :D
think it was spunky who said 'teach em backwards'...
start em off polishing up, then 2nd trowel then flatten off and finally the dreaded 'how to lay on without getting more on yourself than the wall and put more than 1m2 on an hour'...

i usually (once ive got em to the stage of being able to hold a trowel) lay on, let em watch me lay on and get em slowly flattening in behind me and we follow each other round so i can always rectify any mistakes they make..

doing it this way means i can put more on, its like having a second plasterer, albeit a slow one....

also means i make more money cos theyre on a labourers rate, no good having em sitting round once theyve mixed up is it?

Render Systems said:
My son has just started working with me... he is 23 got 6 "A" levels but after leaving college he could only get a job in a call centre... i told him when he was 16 to come and work with daddy but he was to much into computer design cr*p and didnt want to get dirty.
I do all aspects but trying to teach him basic handboard and trowell skills is time consuming... but anyway he will learn the lot with me

I wish you were my daddy ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.