Dot and dab tips

Members online

No members online now.
Who when the dot and dab puts a continuous dab all the way round the top and bottom?
Me if we have to for airtesting thing is tho dan u dnt get any extra dosh and in house we've been doing we've used a extra 20 bags that wat wud normally be used

Knauf spec is solid dab around the perimeter of the board and one line of dabs through the middle of the board. I find dabbing with a finishing trowel superior to a bucket trowel, however 2 guys I employ use bucket trowels with just as good results.

Knauf spec is solid dab around the perimeter of the board and one line of dabs through the middle of the board. I find dabbing with a finishing trowel superior to a bucket trowel, however 2 guys I employ use bucket trowels with just as good results.

Yet another reason I don't care much for specs,
Spotted dabs at 400 centres vertically is a much stronger job, and use half the gear, but knauf wouldn't be interested in using less gear would they???

Actually with knauf you'd need to float the wall first as it wouldn't stick sh1t [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pug
300 centers for me. Solid along skirting and around boxes. I use a 4" stripping knife.

I just use a normal trowel btw, just flick the dabs off the hand board with the corner of trowel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I didnt know that till I had my OSAT and the lecturer chap told me... its for fire reasons.... I was a changed man after that

If ur hands are f**k*d aswell like mine for cutting sockets instead of banging board with ur hand to mark the imprint of back of a socket chalk around the face of the socket then it just needs a gentle tap and ull have the outline of a socket in chalk..my hands are f**k*d from thumping boards to get the imprint of a socket or alternatively wet around the socket with a wet brush

How you put the chalk dust on the face of the boxes kitchy pot of chalk and brush?

The method for dot and dab is 3 rows of 6 and it depends on the thickness of board 9.5mm it 4 and 6 solid bands around Windows and doors and socket for apparently thermal bridging, it also says when dot and dab you can hold two pieces of board together to replicate the dab and the board mark on floor and ping a chalk line through each end, this is white book stuff but we all know the reality, mine is out what I think is enough on and away I go

in the states they have a piece of metal with a blade on each of the four sides, it clips onto the electric boxes, so as you place the board against the wall you have a mark .
you can purchase these on ebay . com. usa.

in the states they have a piece of metal with a blade on each of the four sides, it clips onto the electric boxes, so as you place the board against the wall you have a mark .
you can purchase these on ebay . com. usa.
@plasterers1stop??? Get some of them bad boys and do away with ur stilts..my hands are f**k*d from thumping boards..hate it wen there's 2 but 1 sticks out further than the other so u only get 1 inprint of a socket

@plasterers1stop??? Get some of them bad boys and do away with ur stilts..my hands are f**k*d from thumping boards..hate it wen there's 2 but 1 sticks out further than the other so u only get 1 inprint of a socket

they are listed on ebay.com, as drywall marker kit of 2 pieces. $25 with $20 postage.

they are listed on ebay.com, as drywall marker kit of 2 pieces. $25 with $20 postage.
There was listed on amazon but says currently unavailable..there look gud aswell yellow clip on box shape with 6 tiny spikes..not 45 dollars tho id defo buy tho over here if somebody sold them..my hands are bashed from banging boards

There was listed on amazon but says currently unavailable..there look gud aswell yellow clip on box shape with 6 tiny spikes..not 45 dollars tho id defo buy tho over here if somebody sold them..my hands are bashed from banging boards

i have never seen them for sale in uk.

Buy a rubber mallet

What about using a tape and a pencil to mark electrical boxes ? Then cut them out with a pad saw!

I'm all up for an easy job, but there's no way moving the board several times is more efficient than measuring, unless you enjoy humping plasterboards for fun!

What about using a tape and a pencil to mark electrical boxes ? Then cut them out with a pad saw!

I'm all up for an easy job, but there's no way moving the board several times is more efficient than measuring, unless you enjoy humping plasterboards for fun!
Give over..so measuring and marking with a pencil is quicker that placing board on wall once and tapping it lol...the 1s on party stud walls are measured with a pencil and its know way quicker

Efficient doesn't just mean fastest. I don't want to lug boards around more than necessary.

Tell you what kitchy, we could have a race one day

You can tap the boards and I'll measure and draw on them. My level vs your chalk line :)

Efficient doesn't just mean fastest. I don't want to lug boards around more than necessary.

Tell you what kitchy, we could have a race one day

You can tap the boards and I'll measure and draw on them. My level vs your chalk line :)
Chalk line lol? Who uses a chalk line..u come with me anytime..are u seriously telling me its quicker and better to measure a socket then put that measure onto ur board then cut out? And are u telling me its a better job? Than putting board once onto a wall and tapping it and getting the exact measure?

What the fcuk has this trade come to when people are arguing about the best way to mark and cut a socket in a sheet of plasterboard ?.........Its almost as bad as the way some spreads make such a meal out skimming a wall.:rayos:

Estimate, roughly where the sockets are on the board. Then hit the c**t with a hammer, several times, until you are certain that is big enough to get the box through.
Surely that's the way everyone does it? Nothing a little filler won't sort out when the decorator gets to it.
[emoji33] [emoji12] [emoji23]

Estimate, roughly where the sockets are on the board. Then hit the c**t with a hammer, several times, until you are certain that is big enough to get the box through.
Surely that's the way everyone does it? Nothing a little filler won't sort out when the decorator gets to it.
[emoji33] [emoji12] [emoji23]

:reloco::frenetico::lol:

Chalk line lol? Who uses a chalk line..u come with me anytime..are u seriously telling me its quicker and better to measure a socket then put that measure onto ur board then cut out? And are u telling me its a better job? Than putting board once onto a wall and tapping it and getting the exact measure?

Depends how well you can use a tape and a pencil I guess.. If you set the edge of your boards plumb, a tape will be accurate. It's all preference I guess ? I also don't like cutting out the board from the back as it can tear and is less neat.

I can see your me getting a little hot and bothered here, let's agree that your way is the best bud not worth getting upset about

@beader - thread is for the discussion of dot and dab tips. That's exactly what's being discussed. It's not a case of "what has this trade come to". Don't be a drama queen

I was taught to use small square felt pads which we plumbed at intervals with dab then let set. Boards were then fixed to these with dabs in between and held in place with special nails. This method was used mainly on old uneven walls but could be used on any wall.

I just slosh some water on the socket with my wash out brush.
Place the board and gently press.
Hey presto a perfect water mark in the shape of a socket.

I was taught to use small square felt pads which we plumbed at intervals with dab then let set. Boards were then fixed to these with dabs in between and held in place with special nails. This method was used mainly on old uneven walls but could be used on any wall.
I just slosh some water on the socket with my wash out brush.
Place the board and gently press.
Hey presto a perfect water mark in the shape of a socket.

I dare to think how far you will go if you have 10-12 sockets per sheet :rolleyes:
What's the cleverest way of doing it?

When I was on site years ago I would mark the boxes and bang them to make it spot on but tape and pencil now . No point lifting a board about and banging it as what's been said if you can use a tape, measure the width then measure down from the ceiling the boxes are all the same size so not hard. It has to be quicker measuring and a lot easy on the body.