Dome Ceiling to skim

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

solway

Hi everyone,im currently in the middle of plastering a new build and there is a dome ceiling about 12m2 to be skimmed at the top of a curved stairwell. It would be like skimming the inside of half a rugby ball. Ive been plastering for 18 years and have never come across something like this. Any wise old tales out there on how to conquer this 1.

Create a template from ply to match the shape, apply the plaster (may be best to spray a thin layer if the shape already exists) and then run the template over to remove high spots, and show lows to be filled.... smooth out as best you can and then sand..........

I have a German Presentation that shows guys doing a brand new dome a few years ago....... very labour intensive to get a good finish!

If it needs to be skimmed then maybe get some finish on the best you can, brush it when it takes in then use some flexible like a car body filler spreader (large credit card type thing) to trowel it up. You can always sand it later (or tape and joint it :RpS_thumbup:)

I would use a 2" wide plastic window strip with a couple of screws in - kinda like a very flexible darby. Never done one, would love to :RpS_thumbup:

patience. the toe of your trowel. a midget trowel. a sponge. a plastic bag and a credit card

I've seen one done and it looked terrible plastered honestly tape joint it use a benson trowel to mould the jointing if you have to before its sanded

done one last year, we lathed, bond and skimm, good fun.
we used our stairback tool, an aims lid cut in a third, sand edges down, and you have a ten in flex trowel to flatten

what have you used to form the dome with? the last one we done was formed with british gyproc glasroc f, use a small trowel , 11inch,a midget trowel, and a sponge and it was quite simple

the old barton plastic trowels are pukka for these curvy areas they are soo flexible i use it for winders and the likes..........only problem is they dnt make them anymore:RpS_thumbup:

those refina ones are no where near as flexible as the barton one which it also why it only gets used on curved surfaces its flexible enough that you can spread a winder with it and it will leave very very little to flatten in lays on very neat on the curved surfaces

I would use a 2" wide plastic window strip with a couple of screws in - kinda like a very flexible darby. Never done one, would love to :RpS_thumbup:

They plastic strips av plenty of uses dont they al...........:RpS_thumbup:

http://
churchill_dog-oh_yes.jpg

patience. the toe of your trowel. a midget trowel. a sponge. a plastic bag and a credit card

100% never used the credit card. Done one of a similar description a while back, patience and a lot of pointing trowel, small tool and sponge work, turned out fantastic customer delighted

100% never used the credit card. Done one of a similar description a while back, patience and a lot of pointing trowel, small tool and sponge work, turned out fantastic customer delighted
Was that at half past 4 when they got home and it was pitch black?

Status
Not open for further replies.