Does this rendering look acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfr12

MOTORC*NT
Skip £120 which I dint put in quote..dust sheets on floor wat every spread has..are you telling me £8000 is a fair price for that ? Do you think it would take more than 5 days? Masking tape and protection sheets for windows are hardly owt..it all doesn't need hacking off £80 cash for a labourer is gud regardless being in London or not
Different worlds I am afraid ! Price is a price and all you have to do is leave good job! There is not too much or too litle, cheap or expensive. That price you have for the skip I will have only the dust sheets that covers it! The price here is well over £200. My point questioning you was to expose the hidden costs the op don't know about . It's just like sending some of our beloved east europeans to Leeds to quote your job .Whether £8k is right or not I can't tell without seeing the job, but I know it won't look like this after I am done.
 

vfr12

MOTORC*NT
And not getting into a back n forth argument as not on here for that..every spread is different it mite take you 2 weeks to do I'm saying it wud take us 5 days top just dnt think the guy shud have his pants pulled down again
Posting at the same time;). Glad you didn't took it the wrong way:)
 

uni-king

Private Member
Different worlds I am afraid ! Price is a price and all you have to do is leave good job! There is not too much or too litle, cheap or expensive. That price you have for the skip I will have only the dust sheets that covers it! The price here is well over £200. My point questioning you was to expose the hidden costs the op don't know about . It's just like sending some of our beloved east europeans to Leeds to quote your job .Whether £8k is right or not I can't tell without seeing the job, but I know it won't look like this after I am done.
£120 for a medium sized skip..like I said it all depends if it all needs or just a few m2 hacking off like I said..a guy has been and said he can go over the existing so I'm assuming it hasn't blown I know wat you mean its impossible to quote a Job that size without see ing it but between £4-5000 is a gud price for the plasterer..in my oppinion
 

uni-king

Private Member
Christ what mix do you do with that many bags of cement??
That's way to many!
At a 5 sand 1 cement ratio you only need 8-10 bags of cement per bulk bag.
I said top side!! That's y I think £4000 for the job wud be plenty as ud make £20% on materials..we do 3-1 scratch..4-1 top coat..
 

kgreigh

Well-Known Member
I said top side!! That's y I think £4000 for the job wud be plenty as ud make £20% on materials..we do 3-1 scratch..4-1 top coat..
3:1 scratch and 4:1 top is a little excessive.weaker successive coats,your system would almost certainly be stronger than the existing render and wouldn't be far short of being stronger than the original masonry.
 

User___removed

Well-Known Member
Way 2 much!! Its sand and cement finish! There's defo not more than 5 days there id say mayb even four..ud piss scratching that in 2 days and top it in 3 or mite even top it in 2 days pending conditions etc..id price it at £1000 each for plasteres,£500 for labourer and that's been generous prob wudnt give him that ur looking at £500 for scaffold (Leeds area mind) and a grand for materials which ud prob have money spare as wunt spend that much..uve been proper ripped at £8000 dont let the other guy who's pricing charge near that..hack It all off and use k rend if you get all ur money back miles better finish sand and cement is shite..
I'd rather have sand & cement than k rend!!!
 

User___removed

Well-Known Member
For sure.this is why a lot of jobs crack as the mix is too strong.
5/1 and 6/1/1 topcoat
3:1 scratch and 4:1 top is a little excessive.weaker successive coats,your system would almost certainly be stronger than the existing render and wouldn't be far short of being stronger than the original masonry.
 

uni-king

Private Member
For sure.this is why a lot of jobs crack as the mix is too strong.
5/1 and 6/1/1 topcoat
I did a house end of my street hacked off re-did with that ratio and used Webber mesh not 1 crack to this day did it 2 years ago and I'd no about it if it cracked he'd be on me like f**k as he's like that
 

uni-king

Private Member
Does anyone recommend sites like mybuilder, ratedpeople etc to find tradesmen?
Ull still get s**t on there like Josh but there's s**t every where its orite having a good rating etc on them websites it sent mean there good I know people who are on them sites and half of there ratings are from family/friends and made up jobs but there will be some good lads on there but you mite be better trying to get sum1 from here who lives down ur way
 

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
@Josh55
Personally If someone came to me with your problem now id do one of 2 things. I'd agree a price and schedule of works and then I'd do the following.
1) I'd wait till next year when weather is dry and better again. Then I'd hack it all off and start from scratch doing it properly.
2) I'd hack it all off asap and then possibly get a scratch coat on and then leave till next year to finish off.
Last thing you want to do is try and rush it and it goes wrong again.
I can't see you finding someone decent who will be able to squeeze that in before Xmas. I def couldn't, all my exterior jobs I've already booked in for March onwards.
The weather is going to get a lot wetter and colder in the next few weeks as winter is coming.
If you try and rush it you risk it failing or going wrong again.
Also you really need to come to an agreement with whoever done it and recoup all or as much is realistically possible?
Ideally you want money back from them, if you agree for them to put scaffold back up and hack off the existing then your again at there mercy. They could easily mess that up!
I'd advise against going over what's there as if it's as bad as it looks any guarantee from a new Renderer will only stretch to what they do. If the existing comes off or gets worse it will spoil the new finish so your back to square one with more money down the drain.
The idiots who done it have already gone over most of what was on there before anyway so that weight aswell as another coat isn't a great idea.
How you go about sorting the problem from here will determine the lifespan of the correctly applied new finish. Do it right and it will cost you another considerable outlay but you won't have to touch it again.
Do it wrong and try to save money now and it will cost you again in the near future.
Best of luck I hope it goes well from now.
 

superspread

Well-Known Member
@Josh55
Personally If someone came to me with your problem now id do one of 2 things. I'd agree a price and schedule of works and then I'd do the following.
1) I'd wait till next year when weather is dry and better again. Then I'd hack it all off and start from scratch doing it properly.
2) I'd hack it all off asap and then possibly get a scratch coat on and then leave till next year to finish off.
Last thing you want to do is try and rush it and it goes wrong again.
I can't see you finding someone decent who will be able to squeeze that in before Xmas. I def couldn't, all my exterior jobs I've already booked in for March onwards.
The weather is going to get a lot wetter and colder in the next few weeks as winter is coming.
If you try and rush it you risk it failing or going wrong again.
Also you really need to come to an agreement with whoever done it and recoup all or as much is realistically possible?
Ideally you want money back from them, if you agree for them to put scaffold back up and hack off the existing then your again at there mercy. They could easily mess that up!
I'd advise against going over what's there as if it's as bad as it looks any guarantee from a new Renderer will only stretch to what they do. If the existing comes off or gets worse it will spoil the new finish so your back to square one with more money down the drain.
The idiots who done it have already gone over most of what was on there before anyway so that weight aswell as another coat isn't a great idea.
How you go about sorting the problem from here will determine the lifespan of the correctly applied new finish. Do it right and it will cost you another considerable outlay but you won't have to touch it again.
Do it wrong and try to save money now and it will cost you again in the near future.
Best of luck I hope it goes well from now.
Parklife
 

User___removed

Well-Known Member
@Josh55
Personally If someone came to me with your problem now id do one of 2 things. I'd agree a price and schedule of works and then I'd do the following.
1) I'd wait till next year when weather is dry and better again. Then I'd hack it all off and start from scratch doing it properly.
2) I'd hack it all off asap and then possibly get a scratch coat on and then leave till next year to finish off.
Last thing you want to do is try and rush it and it goes wrong again.
I can't see you finding someone decent who will be able to squeeze that in before Xmas. I def couldn't, all my exterior jobs I've already booked in for March onwards.
The weather is going to get a lot wetter and colder in the next few weeks as winter is coming.
If you try and rush it you risk it failing or going wrong again.
Also you really need to come to an agreement with whoever done it and recoup all or as much is realistically possible?
Ideally you want money back from them, if you agree for them to put scaffold back up and hack off the existing then your again at there mercy. They could easily mess that up!
I'd advise against going over what's there as if it's as bad as it looks any guarantee from a new Renderer will only stretch to what they do. If the existing comes off or gets worse it will spoil the new finish so your back to square one with more money down the drain.
The idiots who done it have already gone over most of what was on there before anyway so that weight aswell as another coat isn't a great idea.
How you go about sorting the problem from here will determine the lifespan of the correctly applied new finish. Do it right and it will cost you another considerable outlay but you won't have to touch it again.
Do it wrong and try to save money now and it will cost you again in the near future.
Best of luck I hope it goes well from now.
If a customer says they want it scratched and finish next year I don't bother with the job
Bollox to that!!
 

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
I did not know our winters get that bad , f**k it I will not render for 6 months ! Lol

Keith I don't solely rely on outside work so in the winter I'll stick to internals and bathrooms/kitchens and small building works.
This also gives me a chance to book in work for the following year which is already taking me to April/May.

For yourself this may be different I didn't say what was right or wrong but gave me advice.
I'm not one to hope the weather holds out and get wet while trying to find my lads a days work or lose out myself as I don't like seeing them sat at home not earning.

Each to there own.
 

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
I to can do inside work , just happens my customer demand for out is very high

So why struggle and risk days getting rained off or it going wrong when you can just make them wait?
Surely the extra you earn on externals would be lost if to many wet days and have people to pay aswell as your self? That's how I look at it.
 

keithuk

Private Member
So why struggle and risk days getting rained off or it going wrong when you can just make them wait?
Surely the extra you earn on externals would be lost if to many wet days and have people to pay aswell as your self? That's how I look at it.
Because for me it would be like trying to do 12 months work in 6 months
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top