Do ya ever get paranoid in this game!

Members online

hail hail

Private Member
Was called out to price a stonewall 4 weeks ago after the cple seen some of my work. Took few days to price it up, met up with them and gave a price and even knocked small % off because its in good location for advertising and only 4mile from home. Shook hands on 9.5k deal and said ill be back in few weeks to start. Txtd last week saying to get all materials in, no reply! Drove past few times on way home and no sand etc.. on site! Dropped off traffic cones one night along the road, my business logo on site etc..
Phoned today, no answer! Driving past earlier and seen scaffold going up but couldnt stop because was late for picking the kid up from football and had to get bck to misses nd kids for bank holiday wknd away.Txtd few hours ago saying is everything sweet for next week and no reply!

Im sitting here fumeing few hundred miles away with everything going through my head! Was it the other guy i worked with before throwing abit of slander in, or did they us me for a price to use for someoneelse or was it my laborer i use on other work seen with me when pricing (hes abit of a bad rep for drinking probs!)

Head melted over this one because let another good earner go because it was further away!

Last edited by a moderator:
1 of the most truest words I've ever had said to me in this game is that no jobs yours until you've made a start on first day...

Until then anything goes...and for me f**k em works both ways!!!

I often arrange duplicate works and cherry pick/start them when suits me or happily loose them!

Have you actually phoned and emailed? Not just texted!

For me I text friends and family.

Work contact for me is always email or actual phone calls just think it's more professional.

Good luck pal

Zombie is bang on with the no job is yours til your putting on the wall, we all have our fair share of messers and loads think we ain't putting time aside to do there job that we can just do next Job if they blow out I've had it loads accept quote then come back few days later saying can u beat this other quote I got thing is if I could do that cheap I would of priced that way in first place I'm with you though and makes you go through many emotion when it's all agreed text or ring to say still good to go ect first time u let it go but after a few times alarm bells ring I would rather people say I've got a cheaper price thanks but no thanks it's rare though it's like ones who don't reply you go do other work them on day you was due to start they ring and ask where you are

If you set a date to start just turn up and start. If he shook your hand and goes back on that then pretty disgusting on his part.

I've just packed in my job and thinking of going it alone,
To your post - A mate gets a 10% deposit on jobs agreed by all customers, If they pull out or get someone else, 10% of the price in your pocket with no hassle!

Deposit is the only way pop92 is bang on.This sorts out time wasters and agonising over assholes just using you when they have no intensions of giving you the job.

Thing is they want trust from us like labour and materials paid at end but where's the trust from them makes your blood boil at times

That's y I dont get overly involved on here wen public post a pic up on here wanting us to rip it to bits asking for advice etc wen we dont know the full story..got to work both ways which It dsnt..public wud not give a toss if we have turned other works Down and booked them in and bought all materials etc if there save £10 on a quote there will s**t on you with no thought at all

That's y I dont get overly involved on here wen public post a pic up on here wanting us to rip it to bits asking for advice etc wen we dont know the full story..got to work both ways which It dsnt..public wud not give a toss if we have turned other works Down and booked them in and bought all materials etc if there save £10 on a quote there will s**t on you with no thought at all
Your the resident picture snagger kitchy lol

Dnt listen to Vince..i mean wen Joe public post pics and every1 jumps on bandwagon and probably 3/4 cant hold a trowel properly
Thing is like you said we can only see from a picture what about if the bloke said it should be done this way ect and they only say no just a reskim rooms full of crap other trades in way all things people over look but there has been some shocking work as well

Just reading this now got to agree the customer is so quick to criticise work and try to take this trade to caught but it's certainly not the same boat when they don't pay us at the end so where is the rights in that one . I think there's just as much critical as appreciation for the trade.

This happens because in our industry many one man bands and small companies dont/aren't treated like an actual business.
The lack of contracts to start, the lack of professionalism....from both the client and the tradesmen.
That's the main problem.
To many of us only see ourselves as a tradesman, the businessmen amongst us are the ones doing well.
Not having any regulations in the domestic sector doesn't help.
That would only cause the Cowboys to thrive even more.
The stereotypical tradesman comes round in his tatty van, doesn't take his shoes off, shakes hands on a cash deal and then comes back to do the job with his ass hanging out, finishing at 12-1 and then tells the client he's done wants his wonga and fucks off as quick as he can.
That stigma will stay with us forever and nothing will change until we ourselves try to change it. But again were in the same predicament as people can't be bothered to or there happy to work for what are basically average wages.
Now I'm not saying the ones who do this are s**t at what they do, far from it. I'm saying you won't get the respect or professional treatment when we don't act in that manner.
I've noticed since I've tried to be more of a business than just a spread or a tradesman it's worked for the better.

It's easy to blame the clients all the time but I've been to a few jobs where client have been had over through no fault of there own.
Sometimes clients are bad some times the company is.

In this case it sounds like the client is being a nause. I've seen hail hails work from what he's posted and things look spot on.
It's just one of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thing is like you said we can only see from a picture what about if the bloke said it should be done this way ect and they only say no just a reskim rooms full of crap other trades in way all things people over look but there has been some shocking work as well
I agree some of work is shocking but public dont tell u the full story..most probably got 10 quotes and gone with cheapest etc there never mention that..i dont even quote domestic if there getting another quote ive literally gone to domestic to price and said r u getting another quote and there have said yes ive said or just go with them as Il be more expensive and havnt bothered pricing..only do domestic now for people who know my work/rates

we always contact the client when we are a about a week away from a starting date, to make sure that every thing is ready. no answer from customer, then he has missed his slot, we do not order materials or plant for this work, move on to the next customer .

Nothing you can do really ! You are dealing with a customer with no backbone , if they have,
Not for warned you ! . They are messing with people's livelihood ..
Had similar situation , hopefully you can juggle other jobs forward
I double book know:coffe:
Best of luck

Supposed to start a job last Monday but I didn't contact him and he hasn't contacted me lol I priced the job got it and have been corresponding by email. He has his plumber coming and I'm on a job so we were supposed to keep each other upto date, but the ball was in his court. He will bell this week and say his plumber s fished or were was I, either way if he wants it doing I will if not I will move on. If I needed to start he job I would of knocked on its as simple as that if I didn't get any reply to any message, most of the time is nothing.

i went to price a job last week,approx 20 miles from carlisle,....decent job approx 2 weeks work,....got talking to the joiner who told me he had just come out of the army, ...never done any building work joinery/plumbing/electrics etc before just watched videos on you tube ,has now done all the joinery work,fitted 5 windows,plumbing work,....and was going to do the plastering as well,...oh good for you i said ,got into my van and drove off,....not a happy bunny at all was i,...anyhoooooooo the customer phoned me up later on asking about his quote,...told him to ask his labourer on the job to give him a quote ,waste of time,........all my work is domestic and i have found that these last few years there is more and more of this type of attitude from people, not everybody the majority are fine but speaking with other joiners/plumbers etc they all have there stories as well

IMG_20160930_170904672.jpg
IMG_20160930_170832177.jpg
IMG_20160930_180520.jpg
IMG_20160930_180500.jpg
View attachment 13966 View attachment 13967 View attachment 13968 View attachment 13969
IMG_20160930_170904672.jpg
IMG_20160930_170832177.jpg
Decent cple they are, turns out that I'm the loony paranoid f**k*r instead lol.

Last edited:
i went to price a job last week,approx 20 miles from carlisle,....decent job approx 2 weeks work,....got talking to the joiner who told me he had just come out of the army, ...never done any building work joinery/plumbing/electrics etc before just watched videos on you tube ,has now done all the joinery work,fitted 5 windows,plumbing work,....and was going to do the plastering as well,...oh good for you i said ,got into my van and drove off,....not a happy bunny at all was i,...anyhoooooooo the customer phoned me up later on asking about his quote,...told him to ask his labourer on the job to give him a quote ,waste of time,........all my work is domestic and i have found that these last few years there is more and more of this type of attitude from people, not everybody the majority are fine but speaking with other joiners/plumbers etc they all have there stories as well

Been finishing up another job while on this stone job. Done it really cheap and they through alot of extras in including alot of messing work. Not one nogging was the same length! Took ages measuring and cutting to install in a 12 ft ceiling. On a kango for 2 days solid, mate was on it for 2. Small hall needed insulated plasterboard, all sorts of cuts. Mate was down for cheap rate aswell thou all extras, he was worked like a donkey some days. Well over an hour away.

When I was doing the final bill, I was in 2 minds to put in my proper rate but said f**k it, will stick to cheap rate and just stick the diesel money on and ask for extra 20 for the mate. Was just an extra few hundred euro in a 6.5k bill and for the amount of work was done, I thought it was very fair on my behalf. Turns out it was a major problem!!!

f**k**g hate situations like this because you get the feeling like your one of them cowboys out robbing clients. Even had the cheek to say the one doing the insulated plasterboard in the front porch took to long. He had to measure, cut all plasterboard and drill to install it on all walls and ceiling with the clients walking in an out, a plumber walking in and out and an electrician once or twice! Busted my balls out for them and made to feel like I'm in the wrong! Shocking!!

@hail hail...

Thing is this can easily be avoided by not starting any additional work before submitting a quote for the works which they have to approve before starting...

I know its a pain but I always do this...just saves all the arguments down the line

IMG_20161210_145614608.jpg
IMG_20161210_145457587.jpg

Think I finished this in 24 days. Love doing this type of work but up and down Scaffolding can be a pain in the hole. Clients well happy with it. They were in 2 minds whether to get the garage done but after seeing my work, they wanting me back in spring to do the front of the garage. O, and I plastered unside of head lintel seeing as it's a plastering forum :bailando:

Edit! Few months of rain and you'll see the real colours of the stone because still has alot of dust on it. Takes months fir it to get washed off.

View attachment 15159 View attachment 15160

Think I finished this in 24 days. Love doing this type of work but up and down Scaffolding can be a pain in the hole. Clients well happy with it. They were in 2 minds whether to get the garage done but after seeing my work, they wanting me back in spring to do the front of the garage. O, and I plastered unside of head lintel seeing as it's a plastering forum :bailando:

Edit! Few months of rain and you'll see the real colours of the stone because still has alot of dust on it. Takes months fir it to get washed off.
Nice job that mate, you must be well chuffed [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nice job that mate, you must be well chuffed [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Been doing this since august. Clients knew I do other work and where happy with me coming and going just as long as I get it finished by xmass. Have few more days and it's finished so have hit the original quote deadline. They put more extras on but happy to get it finished after xmass then garage in spring. Chuffed with it. I love the aul stonework then standing back and seeing the finished product. That'll be still there in 100 years or more untouched.