decorative veneer plaster formula/procedure

Members online

plastercaster

Hello all you good people- I have experience doing plaster work in Rural America. My experience does not include formulating a veneer quality decorative plaster. I see that I could buy for a completely fantastic sum a venetian plaster, the samples are incredible. I don't insist on this grade of product, and I do remember the local guy who did some work on a house where I was working. He had a lime putty that he mixed with something, maybe plain plaster, to which he also added pigment in various ways for multicolored effects. I also gathered at the time that he did not think I was capable of reproducing his technique. It was beautiful, but not as fine as the venetian plaster finish that I see lately. So, what I am looking for is a result with a very light color, and some shade variation that is typical in a finish plaster. Right now I am applying a polymer cement skim coat over painted drywall that is intended to approximate a brown coat similar to what I have done in the past. Typical internet searches show some artisans applying finish plasters, but most if not all do not suggest a method for their formula. If I'm going to make lime putty ( All I can get locally is Type S lime) I had better get started.

what the fk.gif

Hello all you good people- I have experience doing plaster work in Rural America. My experience does not include formulating a veneer quality decorative plaster. I see that I could buy for a completely fantastic sum a venetian plaster, the samples are incredible. I don't insist on this grade of product, and I do remember the local guy who did some work on a house where I was working. He had a lime putty that he mixed with something, maybe plain plaster, to which he also added pigment in various ways for multicolored effects. I also gathered at the time that he did not think I was capable of reproducing his technique. It was beautiful, but not as fine as the venetian plaster finish that I see lately. So, what I am looking for is a result with a very light color, and some shade variation that is typical in a finish plaster. Right now I am applying a polymer cement skim coat over painted drywall that is intended to approximate a brown coat similar to what I have done in the past. Typical internet searches show some artisans applying finish plasters, but most if not all do not suggest a method for their formula. If I'm going to make lime putty ( All I can get locally is Type S lime) I had better get started.
Just buy venetian from a supplier.I would personally do some training but if you familiar with products do some samples and try on a small area.If it's a high sheen your after it would be a grassello or a marmarino of you wanted more of a matt-sheen.There are so many materials and suppliers to give you various finishes and options.Not in a patronizing way but Bare in mind it's not "plastering"and takes experience to gain a good finish especially if it's a high glass grassello.As for light shades this be created with both materials mentioned above but I'd need to see an image of what your after.Good luck with it.

Just buy venetian from a supplier.I would personally do some training but if you familiar with products do some samples and try on a small area.If it's a high sheen your after it would be a grassello or a marmarino of you wanted more of a matt-sheen.There are so many materials and suppliers to give you various finishes and options.Not in a patronizing way but Bare in mind it's not "plastering"and takes experience to gain a good finish especially if it's a high glass grassello.As for light shades this be created with both materials mentioned above but I'd need to see an image of what your after.Good luck with it.
Grass! It's a trade secret only known to a few and to provide us with humurous photo's of others fails.