Day rate

Members online

djfleming22

If your working for a builder on a day rate what amount of work do think is acceptable to do for that day ....

Depends on how much you charging . If your charging a similar rate to what you would if you priced up your own work then you do a good day and get loads done . But if your charging next to nothing then just do a steady couple of guages . I never charge by the day always a price

No where near as much as I would do in a day on my own jobs, day rate only works if you are plodding along, anything else has to be on price in my opinion.

If I want £400 labour to skim a 4x3 room on my own jobs I'm definitely not doing it for a builder for £180.. I'd probably tell him it's two days.

Sorry say a 160 to 180
What happens when the builder says you're not going fast enough? Rather be on price even if its a bit of a pain to get it to skimming. Day rate for me feels like being on the books especially with builders yes there's good ones but there's plenty sharks too. For me its a psychological thing heres my price take it or leave it, no pissing about this bits day rate this bit price.

I work the same on day work as on price. I think you’re a bit of a c**t if you slow down just because you’re on daywork. I’ve always found that when I employ a subbie, if I give them price work, they go like f**k and leave a poor job. If I pay them daywork, they do f**k all. This is why I work in my own. Everyone’s a c**t!

Your missing point. Its day rate . If you kill ye sen straight away that's what they will expect.

Trust me day rate master

I know this. Equally if you’re slow you’re replaced. I do day rate for a builder mate and i’ll put in 2 gauges n go by 2pm

I do f**k all on day rate. Make lab do it all except the plastering. Then charge for two men.

Today I have been to the builders merchants, squirted some foam in a hole and pvad a wall. This afternoon I'll skim it.

Don’t do day rate or at if you do at least tell them what you’re capable of in a day.
They will always ask you to do more and stay longer etc etc. Tell you how their mate is quicker bla bla.
Agree a price for the areas and that’s that.
I will never do day rate for builders.
they need you as much as you need them!

Also...if you charge £160 and they’ve used someone before for £200...they’ll expect you to do the same as the £200 guy.
If I have to do day rate I charge a day rate that reflects what I’m capable of laying on.
mine problem I find amongst plasterers is they all want to outdo each other with what they can spread but never seem to have a conversation about quality.

Also...if you charge £160 and they’ve used someone before for £200...they’ll expect you to do the same as the £200 guy.
If I have to do day rate I charge a day rate that reflects what I’m capable of laying on.
mine problem I find amongst plasterers is they all want to outdo each other with what they can spread but never seem to have a conversation about quality.

Don’t know where you work Luke...but I’m the South we were charging £200 a day 8 years ago...prices haven’t gone down since then...you would struggle to get a mortgage charging that down here...that’s assuming you are not working 5 days 52 weeks a year then it’s possible but scraping by.

Don’t know where you work Luke...but I’m the South we were charging £200 a day 8 years ago...prices haven’t gone down since then...you would struggle to get a mortgage charging that down here...that’s assuming you are not working 5 days 52 weeks a year then it’s possible but scraping by.

already have a mortgage!
2 years in, only another 24 to go.

the poster mentioned 160 so I was working off that.

unfortunately with plastering being unregulated there will always be younger lads living at home willing to work for low wages as they’ve never experienced having £600 in their pocket a week. And I’m sure we all know blokes who go around plastering to top up their benefits. House prices in the midlands and up north are much lower so to be honest £160 a day really isn’t that bad.

I know lads who chuck the plaster on like p*ss and get a good wage on day rate but they are killing themselves and their angles, corners around sockets etc are really lacking on a quality front.

I plastered a kitchen last month and they’d had a builder in to do extension and just wanted me to plaster the kitchen half as the builder didn’t have time to finish it apparently. Whoever he had used to do the work it was horrendous plaster work but the customer didn’t seem to think so as he came to the job when I was there and all seemed ok.
here’s a photo of his plastering!
my point being that customers and “builders” pay for sh*t

Attachments

• 513B1388-57FD-44E1-9914-EFFF6D8FDF41.jpeg
    513B1388-57FD-44E1-9914-EFFF6D8FDF41.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 402
Rule 1
Builders
Kitchen companies
Friends
Family
Mate of a mate

Are the ones to avoid

Your welcome

why the kitchen company? I do work for a few and they all seem ok. I give them a price example list To work off at 20% either way and it seems to work out really well for everybody.
I agree with all the others though!