Damp

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodplasterer

Just been to look at a job and the lady has got a damp company in to sort the damp as she just presumed thats what you do, he apparently also showed how damp it was by using a damp reading machine :rolleyes) Personally i thought it looked dry and it ain't even an external wall it just has a bit of black staining as the walls were behind the kitchen sink unit, Any way she has paid the deposit and wants me to do the plastering side of it which is all the work involved really, but she is having it injected and tanked a m2 high and I have to do the rest but according to her spec it specifies that it should be washed, sharp concrete sand, loam free which satisfies the requirements to zone 2/3 grading and the cement should be fresh and free flowing sulphate resistant cement other wise it will warrant the guarantee, at what extra cost would it be to get these materials am i looking at or is it just standard? She also told me that the cost for the damp proofing was her total budget she had for all the works to be complete which was going to include a new kitchen and floor as well as me plastering it.

Yeah that's what I thought Its quite a big company in these parts and she is related so It looks like i'm taking the flack for this one :RpS_angry:

Bod make sure that the walls are treated for salt problems before they tank and I think in this case tanking is the wrong thing to do. Do not use s+c go for BG gear or like me use renderlite and use the renderlite finish plaster this will let the walls dry out normal.

Just been to look at a job and the lady has got a damp company in to sort the damp as she just presumed thats what you do, he apparently also showed how damp it was by using a damp reading machine :rolleyes) Personally i thought it looked dry and it ain't even an external wall it just has a bit of black staining as the walls were behind the kitchen sink unit, Any way she has paid the deposit and wants me to do the plastering side of it which is all the work involved really, but she is having it injected and tanked a m2 high and I have to do the rest but according to her spec it specifies that it should be washed, sharp concrete sand, loam free which satisfies the requirements to zone 2/3 grading and the cement should be fresh and free flowing sulphate resistant cement other wise it will warrant the guarantee, at what extra cost would it be to get these materials am i looking at or is it just standard? She also told me that the cost for the damp proofing was her total budget she had for all the works to be complete which was going to include a new kitchen and floor as well as me plastering it.
Unless she needs a guarantee from the company (buying /selling ) it may be better to save her the money ,and look at different options

I have already told her all this but she has paid already and for her to be in agreement i have to follow there spec.

Why are they not doin the plastering? If you do it your helping them out by voiding the guarantee then they are home scott free.

Your right Flynny I didnt even take that into consideration but i think she is trying to get a cheaper job done by me doing the plastering like i said she is related, but i will let her know these thoughts.

I did not think plastering was any thing to do with the guarantee for damp it to do with holding salts back which is b*ll***s.

I did not think plastering was any thing to do with the guarantee for damp it to do with holding salts back which is b*ll***s.
The guarantee should stippulate what it covers, some just cover the injection and others cover the injection and re plastering to specification as a package. I wouldnt guarantee someones elses work which is what it sounds like they want Bod to do...........Fcuk that.........

The damp company wants to do the plastering there self but the client wants me to do the plastering as I have done the rest of the house.

The damp company wants to do the plastering there self but the client wants me to do the plastering as I have done the rest of the house.

Suppose its a tough call marra but i would just let them do the job from start to finish as its there guarantee.......:RpS_thumbup:

Bod i take it back didn't realise she was related lol ...... Seems a lot of money can't she cancel and you stud the Walls out

Dpc co's will talk a load of bollix about what specs are required to frighten off anyone (I e the plasterer) who may muscle in on "their" work.

If they are injecting to cure "rising damp lol" why does the plastering spec need to include s+c and waterproofer ? Where's the dampness gonna come from after they use their magic wands to cure it ?

Lol there wont be any problem with the job what they are specifying is over kill.................... there is bonding on the wall that has been patched up years ago and it is bone dry I could in all fairness bond the whole wall and there wont be any problems with damp as the wall is dry they used a damp meter to get the readings which freaked her right out lol.

If she's family can't you talk her out of spending all her hard earned for no gain?

Not to late to back out and get the deposit back.

Your on form spunks. yer lets put a 3-1 sand and cement mix on this will bring more problems them what it is worth.

Lol there wont be any problem with the job what they are specifying is over kill.................... there is bonding on the wall that has been patched up years ago and it is bone dry I could in all fairness bond the whole wall and there wont be any problems with damp as the wall is dry they used a damp meter to get the readings which freaked her right out lol.

Ask her to call them back and ask them about their "damp meter".

Its actually an "electrical conductivity meter".

Tell them she wants the meter calibrated and ask them how they'll feel explaining to the small claims court how their "dampness" meter works .
That should shut them up :RpS_thumbup:

The other funny thing about it was the wall is an internal wall and when I asked where did the damp company say the water was coming from she reckons they told her it was from an under ground source next door hmmmm and that the dpc was a foot higher next door causing the damp, they also scared her saying the dark patches (where it was black mortar) was damp........ And all it was where the finish had made parts of it look lighter than others where it had flaked off.

bod i think you need to arrange a second viewing by the damp company say theres another area to look at then slap them silly till they admit thier a bunch of thieving *****

If I were you let them do the work, if anything does go wrong and that is if, they will find any excuse to throw the blame on you. Family or not they should've come to you first.

Ask Building Control to have a wee look, just for a bit of advice on "damp caused from next door" :RpS_thumbup:

How old is the house ? that the first thing ,is it cavity or solid ?if you were local i,d help you out ,been dealing with damp companies for over 25 years ,and when they do a free survey ,they will fine something wrong .

Its a 1930's house on a pretty flat road and judging from the front and back it was built on the same level as its a terraced house.

is the pointing bad ?if it,s a cavity could be blocked ? if it,s not slate ,has the interior render been replace with a bonding ? like carlite ? last thing sorry .if it,s black and mainly in the corners of the rooms ,behind furnishings ?

I have already explained all of that Keith the wall is dry it was a kitchen that was ripped out and the only black staining was behind where the sink was.

Status
Not open for further replies.