Damp Proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigsegs

Now then....I read that people seem to be uncertain as to which undercoat to use ref. damp proofing / flood damage..
I used to work for a dp company, most of it was hack off metre high, render and skim
Company that supplies the chemicals and additives will not under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES guarantee a job that HASN'T been rendered back up with a 3:1 sharp/plastering sand:eek:pc mix with integral waterproofer/salt repellant..
Theory goes a bit like "Bonding is porous" end of :eek:
they reckon it'll just soak the water straight out of the wall bringing the salts with it, thereby i suppose causing the installation company and chemical supplier grief from customer,,
company i worked for wouldnt advocate bonding/hardwall or silmilar downstairs in old properties anyway, damp or not..always render..
Still that said it was 50% building company too so trailer/mixer/groundsheet was never a problem...
Cant quite understand why people hate good old fashioned render anyway? I dont mind it at all, in fact i get on better with it than bonding (which i only ever use to patch up/caulk out with)?
Another good thing about rendering with waterproofer -
1) itll hold it off so you can throw tons of it on before you have to float up
2) if youve used the right ratio of waterproofer (bout 1/2 litre to a mixerfull) youll never have to pva the walls before you skim, in fact you can pretty much bang the whole room on in a set...or three rooms if your only a metre high..
noticed this 'limelite' been mentioned though....never heard of it?? any good?
p.s. anyone that ever rendered after a chemical injection and cant get render to stick...the gits have sprayed chemical up the wall...might as well try and render glass walls...not funny :'(

Now then....I read that people seem to be uncertain as to which undercoat to use ref. damp proofing / flood damage..
I used to work for a dp company, most of it was hack off metre high, render and skim
Company that supplies the chemicals and additives will not under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES guarantee a job that HASN'T been rendered back up with a 3:1 sharp/plastering sand:eek:pc mix with integral waterproofer/salt repellant..
Theory goes a bit like "Bonding is porous" end of :eek:
they reckon it'll just soak the water straight out of the wall bringing the salts with it, thereby i suppose causing the installation company and chemical supplier grief from customer,,
company i worked for wouldnt advocate bonding/hardwall or silmilar downstairs in old properties anyway, damp or not..always render..
Still that said it was 50% building company too so trailer/mixer/groundsheet was never a problem...
Cant quite understand why people hate good old fashioned render anyway? I dont mind it at all, in fact i get on better with it than bonding (which i only ever use to patch up/caulk out with)?
Another good thing about rendering with waterproofer -
1) itll hold it off so you can throw tons of it on before you have to float up
2) if youve used the right ratio of waterproofer (bout 1/2 litre to a mixerfull) youll never have to pva the walls before you skim, in fact you can pretty much bang the whole room on in a set...or three rooms if your only a metre high..
noticed this 'limelite' been mentioned though....never heard of it?? any good?
p.s. anyone that ever rendered after a chemical injection and cant get render to stick...the gits have sprayed chemical up the wall...might as well try and render glass walls...not funny :'(
the spraying the walls is one thing that really gets my goat :mad:cant stand render myself as have been using limelite renovating for the last 20 years

Just gone for a look for limelite...
Is this right...28+quid per BAG!
ok i assume thats list price etc but bloody hell i can get a TON of sand for that
read the spec tho...breathes while still holding back the salt, waterproof barrier while still remaining porous :eek:

found this for renderlite..
Form Supplied: Powder
Pack Sizes: 25 kg
Colour range: Grey
Contains: Cement, lime, aggregate and waterproofing additives

30 quid a bag

I cant see the difference bar the lime?

would you knock it up in a cement mixer same way you would normal render??
I ask this cos when ive done old houses before i tend to find im throwing render on up to 3-4 inches thick in some places and i can put it on the wall as fast as the labourer can mix it and get it to me in a barrow, some of these old properties suck like ...well u know..

used the limelight stuff while ago on old cottage walls, this stuff is crap, the finishing plaster is hard to get a good finish on, anyone else have this problem?

thats only for old cottage walls though? and yes very exspensive.

used the limelight stuff while ago on old cottage walls, this stuff is crap, the finishing plaster is hard to get a good finish on, anyone else have this problem?

thats only for old cottage walls though? and yes very exspensive.
yeah it is hard to get a good polish sometimes,sometimes better giving it a dry scuff the next day,i get my limelite at jewson for £10.85 plus vat(which i get back)ive mates that work there ;)

found this for renderlite..
Form Supplied: Powder
Pack Sizes: 25 kg
Colour range: Grey
Contains: Cement, lime, aggregate and waterproofing additives

30 quid a  bag

I cant see the difference bar the lime?

would you knock it up in a cement mixer same way you would normal render??
I ask this cos when ive done old houses before i tend to find im throwing render on up to 3-4 inches thick in some places and i can put it on the wall as fast as the labourer can mix it and get it to me in a barrow, some of these old properties suck like ...well u know..
i just get the laddie to mix it in the bath,youve really got to know the nature of the stuff and know what liberties to take with it

Status
Not open for further replies.