Damp help

Status
Not open for further replies.
No hatch, just an old plastic tile left on the floor.

with regards to the mess i was following @DavetheDog 's advice with the old, let the plaster settle on the dust then it just brushes up...:RpS_thumbsup:

Will hack of the bottom of the plaster to an inch below the skirting line. Using tall skirting so should be ok.

Will get a de humid and a heater on the walls.

failing those remedies, what can i do ? besides hacking it all off!

Last edited by a moderator:
Salts contamination coming from the soot in the chimney.:RpS_thumbup:
hack it off, membrane, replaster:RpS_wink:

oh......fit cornice:RpS_biggrin:

Ffs.
Can't be arsed with this! Too many jobs to do as it is!
Ah well all a learning curve. If I'm gonna tech myself skimming and basic plastering no better place than my own home. Cheers guys. I'm there tommorrow night so try some of the things said.

Failing that I'll stick a cupboard there...

Do you mix sbr in the k11"
1 or 2 coats, what's your over coat, ?

I just follow the spec bud tbh, usually 2 coats with SBR jut to be certain I haven't missed anything..

Ka I wouldn't bother with SBR within the tanking coat like in this situation, I would do a tight scratch before slurry tho on this with SBR

4-1 scratch usually after a couple of days, Soverign has there own bonding agent I think but if not just a creamy cement and SBR mix before scratch

images

Look at fireplace, I can see some efflorescence - defo rising damp so walls needs treated - maybe you get John to come over with sovereign injections?

Ryan, if you don't know what you're talking about it's better to say nothing at all.

For the rising damp believers, I'll give you a little bit of advice.
1. There is NO efflorescence visible on the plastered walls, they're both just damp
2. There is NO efflorescence/obvious damp visible on the bare brick.
3. The dpc "seems" to be visible (I think) behind the coal shovel, just above the concrete floor
4. Amazingly , the party wall neighbours have no damp on their side of the wall, the rising damp in the solid wall prefers your side lol.
5. There are 'gaps' between the damp/dry/damp areas towards the top of the damp wall. Maybe the rising damp lol, rose a bit, stopped, then started rising again, just for the Craic like

Mate, hack off the affected areas, coat with a salt neutraliser, render with sovereign Rendermix @ 40/1 and skim. Don't bridge the DPC

It would be best to get a proper plasterer to look at it 1st cos a pic doesn't reveal all problems that maybe present

hope this helps :RpS_thumbup:

Ryan, if you don't know what you're talking about it's better to say nothing at all.

For the rising damp believers, I'll give you a little bit of advice.
1. There is NO efflorescence visible on the plastered walls, they're both just damp
2. There is NO efflorescence/obvious damp visible on the bare brick.
3. The dpc "seems" to be visible (I think) behind the coal shovel, just above the concrete floor
4. Amazingly , the party wall neighbours have no damp on their side of the wall, the rising damp in the solid wall prefers your side lol.
5. There are 'gaps' between the damp/dry/damp areas towards the top of the damp wall. Maybe the rising damp lol, rose a bit, stopped, then started rising again, just for the Craic like

Mate, hack off the affected areas, coat with a salt neutraliser, render with sovereign Rendermix @ 40/1 and skim. Don't bridge the DPC

It would be best to get a proper plasterer to look at it 1st cos a pic doesn't reveal all problems that maybe present

hope this helps :RpS_thumbup:
Air brick then? Possibly you could do a fly by,? Biggles

Its been empty for 2 years so you would expect some surface damp and i reckon its the floor. Its not on all walls, next door dont have it,and it looks like your bridging the floor. It doesnt have to be much to get sucked up the wall. Just hack a couple of inches off the bottom of your walls to create a gap between the floor and bang some heat in there........................try the easy stuff 1st mike.

Is next doors chimney on the same wall as the damp ?? @mikeadams1985

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for the lead, or better again, copper membrane then. A plumber on one of them 24 hr call out places would be best. Ask him to bring a brass aswell :RpS_thumbsup:

have you met your match wanda :RpS_lol: ............... we will have to ask Paul Daniels of the highest order :RpS_thumbsup:

David Copperfield is the main man Pudding glove......:RpS_wink: Daniels is so yesterday..............................:RpS_thumbdn:

I'd go for the lead, or better again, copper membrane then. A plumber on one of them 24 hr call out places would be best. Ask him to bring a brass aswell :RpS_thumbsup:

Im sure mike could easily afford copper membrane:RpS_sneaky:
he'll push the boat out and go for gold:RpS_biggrin:

Decided to hack.it all.off and put a gold membrane down and then a dab with marble and do the skirts in diamond. Should stop any damp.

David Copperfield is the main man Pudding glove......:RpS_wink: Daniels is so yesterday..............................:RpS_thumbdn:

with your magic skills - I thought you would have detected the slight sarcastic undertones (daniels - he thought he was good until lost a few fingers ):RpS_scared::RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.