Cycling

stuart23

Private Member
Does anyone on here go out cycling much? Buying a bike tomorrow and going to get into this, done the marathons and that years ago so looking for something different. Was speaking to a mate who does it and he was showing me the miles of cycle track online, I never knew such a thing existed. The thing that always put me off it was going out on roads as I hate cyclists on roads but with these tracks you can cycle for miles with not a car in sight.

There are hundreds of miles of off track cycling lanes in Devon. The thought of cycling on a main road terrifies me but love taking my mountain bike down dirt tracks. I drive there and it's a good escape, haven't been out for a good while though. Must get out soon

Myself and jane cycled from John Ogroats to lands end a few years ago :D just shy of 1500 miles... Made me go and get my bike license :D

Dont buy a bike from halfords :D and make sure you test ride it before if you are spending serious money :D

I would never buy a bike to take on the road but these are proper paths out in the country going for miles, still amazed they exist lol I could travel from my home town to Edinburgh without going on a main road.

Myself and jane cycled from John Ogroats to lands end a few years ago :D just shy of 1500 miles... Made me go and get my bike license :D

Dont buy a bike from halfords :D and make sure you test ride it before if you are spending serious money :D
Yeh.i remember that Dan..what an achievement(y), you must have travelled some scary dangerous roads?. Two in the last six months have been killed on the busy duel carriageway near me:(

Yeh.i remember that Dan..what an achievement(y), you must have travelled some scary dangerous roads?. Two in the last six months have been killed on the busy duel carriageway near me:(

the worst part was on the way to @richardbrown house in plymouth the roads got desperate and we did wonder whether we would make it....

Jane had also only really ridden a bike a few months before we set off as well :D

How fit do you need to be to do something like that Danny and how long did it take you?

honestly... I did not find it that hard at all... I was not very fit at all, I was recovering from dengue and just saw it as a challenge... I cycled to a heart rate monitor and the hardest part of it was just having to wake up every day and cycle...

We did it in 24 days and only had 1 day of rest :D

Training wise we cycled most days but not many miles, in the grand scheme of it we should have just spent the time cycling up hills and had a trainer at home...

It was an expensive trip as well... was costing about £120 a day to do that does not include the £4k in bikes :D

I've cycled for a long time. MTB and road. Slowly the road has been restricted to Sunday mornings. Used to get out at any time I liked but now it's getting dangerous. Impatient drivers, bad drivers, diesel fumes it's not what you picture when you get into it.
MTB though is the best escape you can get. Disappear into the hills/mountains and not see a soul for hours. Fresh air, scenery, adrenaline on the downhill sections. Can't beat it.

I'm into silly custom bikes. I've got one of these and really silly one thats 9feet long. I refuse to grow old gracefully.

Attachments

• 1484432904727.jpg
    1484432904727.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 178
Plenty places round my way and good weather just too easy to slip into working too much or do other things than getting out amongst Mother Nature.
IMG_5150.JPG
IMG_5146.JPG
IMG_5147.JPG
IMG_5149.JPG

Cheers mate trance advanced sx

There is some cracking tracks up here - I'm going to try and get to Wales in summer with the bike - wanted to do Morzine last summer was too busy though (too greedy)

Cheers mate trance advanced sx

There is some cracking tracks up here - I'm going to try and get to Wales in summer with the bike - wanted to do Morzine last summer was too busy though (too greedy)
Same, laying off the work through summer to get some decent weekends away on the bike this year.
Wales is close to me so I've done a fair few. Coed y Brenin, penmachno, Marin trail, llandegla.
Let me know if you get over and I'll try and meet you for a ride (y)

I have never really got into mountain biking... should really.... I have the southdowns on my doorstep but i am a little bit lazy now... I bought this recently instead :D

20161127_133209.jpg