Cracks in Newly Skimmed Over-Boarded Ceiling

Members online

Unfortunately if I had done the job the fault lies with you and that's because you prepared it all. The ceiling hasn't cracked because it's to thin it looks an alright job from the pics and they taped the edges so I guess they would tape the joints. You say you battened across the original joist what you have also done is batten along the edges of the boards and put plenty of screws I doubt there was any room for movement once it dried, also have you got any pics of the battening? I would on a guess say you used roofing battens and if these were wet this will also cause it to crack. Your only chance to blame the plasterers and you are looking to blame is if they didn't tape the joints, if they did its on your toes.
Thanks for the reply. They were roofing battens but they were dry when fixed up in November. Obviously had a couple of months more to dry before plastering as well. Not really on a witch hunt as such, just hoping for advice / opinion on whether plastering looked thin or if it looked like scrim tape was used. Thanks. Jon.

This is very simple, all you need to do is to check scrim was applied, if so it's not the plasterers problem as alls he has done is skim it.
Hi. Thanks for the message. Yeah been thinking I might just have to pick away at one of the cracks till I find some scrim tape. Might wait and see what they say next week before I take a chisel to it though..

Hi. Thanks for the message. Yeah been thinking I might just have to pick away at one of the cracks till I find some scrim tape. Might wait and see what they say next week before I take a chisel to it though..

Why ? Just in case you find they have and it's not there problem

Thanks for the reply. They were roofing battens but they were dry when fixed up in November. Obviously had a couple of months more to dry before plastering as well. Not really on a witch hunt as such, just hoping for advice / opinion on whether plastering looked thin or if it looked like scrim tape was used. Thanks. Jon.
I don't think it being thin is the problem, weirdly enough I think you have done too much of a good job on the battening and boarding mainly adding the noggins along the long joints , any pics of the battening?

Why ? Just in case you find they have and it's not there problem
Didn't want them saying I'd damaged it since they'd finished. If it's something I've done wrong then fair enough but will be annoyed if it turns out there's no scrim tape.

I don't think it being thin is the problem, weirdly enough I think you have done too much of a good job on the battening and boarding mainly adding the noggins along the long joints , any pics of the battening?
Sorry no. Only has the pics of the boarding for the plasterer to quote off. They were 2"x 1" with end noggins at the short joints. 400mm centres fixed at every joist intersection.

Scrim may help reduce cracking but wouldn't stop it all together, if it's gonna crack it will crack wether it's 1mm or 5mm thick . Scrims job is as much to keep the plaster in place and stop it falling out of the joint if it does crack

I'd just scrape a joint back to see if there's any scrim eventually you'll either have to reskim it regardless if it's scrimmed up or not. If it's scrimmed then you have something else going on like even tho you made it dead flat your joists still have movement which will obviously travel onto the battens which will cause cracks.
Did you put noggings in between the original joists?
Plasterers job will always be as good as the background they going onto, be that structural issues or quality issues will reflect in the end result.

I'd just scrape a joint back to see if there's any scrim eventually you'll either have to reskim it regardless if it's scrimmed up or not. If it's scrimmed then you have something else going on like even tho you made it dead flat your joists still have movement which will obviously travel onto the battens which will cause cracks.
Did you put noggings in between the original joists?
Plasterers job will always be as good as the background they going onto, be that structural issues or quality issues will reflect in the end result.
Thanks for the reply. I battened over the existing ceiling which was cracked and uneven. It's a 50s semi. I put noggins between the battens at the short joints but didn't pull the old ceiling down to expose the joists.

Tell them before hand that you will be scraping back to make sure for yourself scrim was used on the joints as well as the edges.
Also be polite and accept they may have not done anything wrong as such.
If scrim was used you can't really blame them.
If there's any flex whatsoever in the original joists then at some point your going to get cracks.

My living room ceiling was done by myself similar to you and with my 3 year old bouncing around her bedroom above has cause a crack on 1 of the joints.

It's one of those things that can and does happen

Thanks for the reply. I battened over the existing ceiling which was cracked and uneven. It's a 50s semi. I put noggins between the battens at the short joints but didn't pull the old ceiling down to expose the joists.
Then I would just scrape a bit out with a Stanley knife to expose the scrim, then you would have some sort of idea what is happening.

Answers with the roof battens in my opinion not strong enough to take the bounce out or movement. The job it's self looks OK which tells me there not bad and would have 100 per cent strummed it .. I think it's on you this one mate sorry to say.
Your house will always have movement that can't be helped.

Doubt if no fibre tape is the problem as applying it is a 5 minute job and so easy to do. So reskimming is not going to cure the problem

Tell them before hand that you will be scraping back to make sure for yourself scrim was used on the joints as well as the edges.
Also be polite and accept they may have not done anything wrong as such.
If scrim was used you can't really blame them.
If there's any flex whatsoever in the original joists then at some point your going to get cracks.

My living room ceiling was done by myself similar to you and with my 3 year old bouncing around her bedroom above has cause a crack on 1 of the joints.

It's one of those things that can and does happen
Sounds like good advice. Thanks. Yeah we have 2 bundles of joy regularly testing the floor boards upstairs.

Sounds like good advice. Thanks. Yeah we have 2 bundles of joy regularly testing the floor boards upstairs.
As daft as it sounds mate that could be the issue
Like I said ridged structures (or supposed to be ridgid) don't like bouncing lol

Answers with the roof battens in my opinion not strong enough to take the bounce out or movement. The job it's self looks OK which tells me there not bad and would have 100 per cent strummed it .. I think it's on you this one mate sorry to say.
Your house will always have movement that can't be helped.
Thanks for the reply. The battens were pretty solid fixed every 15" or so a the existing joists. I could easily hang off them between joists. If the plastering looks like a decent job though that's all I wanted to know. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. The battens were pretty solid fixed every 15" or so a the existing joists. I could easily hang off them between joists. If the plastering looks like a decent job though that's all I wanted to know. Thanks.
I wouldn't hesitate about the plastering mate looks fine to me. Hairline cracks are a nightmare I understand your frustration but there's movement somewhere as I've just read your kids bouncing up and down may not be helping .. I no you say roof battens were strong but even still there to rigid.

If I board the ceiling I paper tape the joins and never a problem. If it's boarded for me I just scrim, skim and scarper. In fact these lads should have got you to tape the joins and provide the bags of finish too.

If I board the ceiling I paper tape the joins and never a problem. If it's boarded for me I just scrim, skim and scarper. In fact these lads should have got you to tape the joins and provide the bags of finish too.
And then the man should just pay himself lol

Unfortunately if I had done the job the fault lies with you and that's because you prepared it all. The ceiling hasn't cracked because it's to thin it looks an alright job from the pics and they taped the edges so I guess they would tape the joints. You say you battened across the original joist what you have also done is batten along the edges of the boards and put plenty of screws I doubt there was any room for movement once it dried, also have you got any pics of the battening? I would on a guess say you used roofing battens and if these were wet this will also cause it to crack. Your only chance to blame the plasterers and you are looking to blame is if they didn't tape the joints, if they did its on your toes.
That's what I was looking up to say

Just to clarify @JonC , there is nothing the plasterer could have done, except forget to use scrim tape, that would cause the cracks.

I'll be honest I haven't read the thread completely...however I'd be amazed if 2 plasterers between them didn't notice or care that boards where not scrimmed especially as I read they had scrimmed up the edges...additionally thus would have cracked straight away before they even finished troweling up/ leaving.

My suspcion is although it looks tidy boardwoek with regarding screws etc that there are 3mm + gaps around each board I aim for no gaps at all ideally though I appreciate that some people say to have gaps personally I don't believe in that...

Generally plastered cracks through 3 things only

Movement
Heat
Suction

On a reskim the plastered could have not controlled the suction thus be to blame...

On this occasion the only other factors are movement and heat which in fairness is not siwn to the plasterers.

Skim is 2mm total thickness thats all...

Other than no scrim 100% no blame to the plasterers I'm afraid...

If its a downstairs ceiling which obviously has foot traffic movement from upstairs along with 3mm gaps all over I'd say that's the problem.

Good luck

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Think I'll investigate a crack and make sure there's scrim tape there. Was concerned the plaster looked so thin but sounds like if it was scrimmed then it's purely down to movement. I'm afraid the motorbike and mould references were over my head but generally all replies have been very helpful. Cheers. Jon.

There must be some movement in the joists causing it. I reboarded all my ceilings and skimmed them and I have cracks going along ceiling and continuing down the wall
Bet it's the mrs banging on floor shouting keep the noise down