cracked render

Members online

Acousticceiling

hello everyone

did a render job to two houses in roehampton last year for an existing client
both new builds
builder made me do it in the winter even though i warned him and he wanted it to be a natural finish which he showed me a different house
we have cracking
we have discolouration on the below ground walls ive checked but i cant see any tanking to the ground side
we also have a spider web effect

base coat
grey cement 1 shovels
plastering sand 4

then did top coat which we mocked up for him with different mixes decided on
1 shovel white cement
1 shovel builders sand
3 shovel render sand

used water proofer
now the question is how do i get him to understand why its cracked as he is stopping money from a more recent contract or looking at the mix have i F+++++++ up

Attachments

• 005 (8).JPG
    005 (8).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 487
next question is can it be repaired i dont know a way of doing this than overpainting or redoing any suggestions

Attachments

• 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 401
i do not like the idea of adding builders soft sand to plastering sand which is usually on the soft side.
i find that white cement seems brittle and that it is prone to cracking. your mix of 4 to 1 is just on the strong side.

there are special exterior paints on the market to cover cracked render. you make no attempt to fill the cracks the paint will cover them.

didnt know how else to get the colour

and we actually mixed it allowing for a bag of cement to be 3.5 shovel but rounded it up to four

and i know about the sandtex systems was looking for a way of keeping that mottled natural look

the exterior paint for cracked render is Bedec flex paint. manufactured in bishop stortford, essex have a look at their web page.

we gauge render by the bucket not the shovel.

hello everyone

did a render job to two houses in roehampton last year for an existing client
both new builds
builder made me do it in the winter even though i warned him and he wanted it to be a natural finish which he showed me a different house
we have cracking
we have discolouration on the below ground walls ive checked but i cant see any tanking to the ground side
we also have a spider web effect

base coat
grey cement 1 shovels
plastering sand 4

then did top coat which we mocked up for him with different mixes decided on
1 shovel white cement
1 shovel builders sand
3 shovel render sand

used water proofer
now the question is how do i get him to understand why its cracked as he is stopping money from a more recent contract or looking at the mix have i F+++++++ up
Why do you think it's cracked? Which coat did you put the WP in? Your top coat is also too strong.

It is too strong a mix. As said above get a crack bridging paint. Jub does one.

You could also put acrylic on but it will cost.

Weber Santane will cure this but costs a mint.

Then why hasnt all of it cracked if mix is too strong......i bet brickys have took short cuts and its showing on your render.
Brickies lay bricks in temps they shouldnt.
Have they staggered blocks/bricks/ties etc. ..??

Then why hasnt all of it cracked if mix is too strong......i bet brickys have took short cuts and its showing on your render.
Brickies lay bricks in temps they shouldnt.
Have they staggered blocks/bricks/ties etc. ..??
Nothing like coming to a conclusion with no facts FFS. When does he say it was built in his post? The probable reason it has not cracked everywhere is probably down to exposure to temperature and sunlight (my opinion) I could be wrong but I'm not blaming anyone...

Nothing like coming to a conclusion with no facts FFS. When does he say it was built in his post? The probable reason it has not cracked everywhere is probably down to exposure to temperature and sunlight (my opinion) I could be wrong but I'm not blaming anyone...

Theres loads of conclusions ....i couldnt give a fuuck just sticking up for the spread.

5/1/1
6/1/1 top coat
Less cement more lime.mesh u see/above openings.no cracking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
thanks algeeman
and the two properties are new build the below ground walls are not tanked and have affected the render in these places however there are only a few cracks but on every elevation
looks like no new pants this month