Cracked plaster options-discussion

Members online

Brimstone

Ok, as a discussion for folks to suggest their own different ideas on how to handle this scenario:
I have a mid 1960's house, largely open plan downstairs, upstairs bedroom walls are blockwork built straight off the unsupported wooden planked floors/joists. seems to be settled and stable now after 60 years. Solid plaster throughout.

Unsuprisingly, the plaster has cracked in a number of places, generally following the blockwork lines lower down. Half mtr patches of which are now loose/live and need to be sorted out before redecoration. The rest is well bonded to the blockwork despite the cracks. Presumably the loose/ larger cracks are following settlement cracks in the original blockwork.
The original plaster has also cracked along blockwork joins on the external cavity walls but there is no sign of movement or loose plaster.

So your preferred ideas? pros/cons; expose the cracked areas and mesh., bond and skim in the patches ? Plasterboard over the cracks and skim? resin fill/bond the blockwork then replaster in solid? Try to take off the whole wall plaster without breaking the 100m blockwork and board/skim over? Leave the existing lining paper on the external walls.

I have about a 2 weeks to do it, decorate and move in. My solution is probably to mesh the patches & replaster in solid, depending upon what blockwork damage I find. The airing cupboard, 2 sides are shot, I'm inclined to take it all off and board/skim if it comes off easily, and if it does n't, then mesh and re-level, and skim it.

Cut the cracks out with a drill or angle grinder.
Clean the dust from the cracks. Fill cracks with Fiischer resin. PVA too wall.
a coat of Thistle bonding with a full Krend mesh [not a lightweight mesh] skim.

Thanks, I wasn't going to put my solution, just to see if there were some other ideas/start a bit of chat. There's usually more ways to skin the cat, not all of them work of course.

Had the same problem on some of my upstairs walls. They’re usually built off a wooden sole plate and often not toothed into the externals/part wall.

The worst one, I partially rebuilt it and I think I used some strong brackets, screwed and plugged in to give it some support where it met the party wall. May have even used a bit of bar and resin I had left over from some crack stitching I had to do elsewhere, but can’t remember. Anyway, I solid plastered with hardwall and imbedded render mesh.

Had the same problem on some of my upstairs walls. They’re usually built off a wooden sole plate and often not toothed into the externals/part wall.

The worst one, I partially rebuilt it and I think I used some strong brackets, screwed and plugged in to give it some support where it met the party wall. May have even used a bit of bar and resin I had left over from some crack stitching I had to do elsewhere, but can’t remember. Anyway, I solid plastered with hardwall and imbedded render mesh.
Yes