Cowboys, chancers & 5day qualified !!!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyMac

Listen lads, I am new here but have read lots of posts of us all winging about chancers and half bats undercutting decent spreads and making an a*s* of things, I have gone into peoples houses and seen work done that the people are happy with but wouldn't accept it in my dogs kennel. Lets all stick together, if they ask a stupid question, give a stupid answer, their screwing us up and giving real plasterers a bad name!! Well am off to London to compete with the Eastern Europeans!!

Hi Andy

THis is a plasterers forum. A forum is designed to help /advise surely. I fully agree that people who dont know what there doing SHOULD NOT be doin paid jobs in the publics houses. BUt thats what forums do. One day you would have been a junior spread and some poor sod would have been on hand to answer them for you. Thats why you are the person you are today.

THe chancers will always fall by the wayside- i blame the courses more. "Buy this dvd and plaster your own home"etc :RpS_laugh:

He did say STUPID questions !!!
When you get idots on here in all seriousness asking what plaster for what background what ratio of pva to seal a wall.What bead to use on a corner.How do i overboard a ceiling cus i usually just rip them down.What mix ratio for a scrath coat s/c render. Would you put water proofer in bonding.

Cant people think for them selves ? Trial and error ?

I used to be of the opinin that if they want to be a plasterer and give it go fair enough,but if you dont have basic common sense in this game forget it,and plastering is mostly about trial and error and common sense as every job is different you will always come across problems that you need to get over.
Some of the work i have seen of late has been shocking to say the least.
In the last month alone ive come across a shop front EXTERIOR plastered with bonding and multi finnish.Ive seen a stud wall built with 600 centres 3meters high with no noggings in between nailed in place which i knocked down with my bare hands in less than 5 minutes.
Ive seen recent wall /ceiling reskims that i honestly dont no how they did it so badly and got paid.And boarding of ceilings that not just poor but dangerous and a fire hazard!!!
Ive been to a customers house where he hired a plasterer to board a ceiling he went through an water pipe got all his kit together and f**k*d of saying he only a plasterer and doesnt do plumbing letting the guys kitchen flood doing £4000 of damage to his cupboards and flooring.
I agree why give advice to idiots that have no common sense what so ever.

welcome to the forum. :)

Everybody deserves common courtesy though and there are ways to be tactful.

Danny

Maybe there just naive and don't realise you have to do it to learn .......apart from that yeah kunts the lot of em lol

Well am off to London to compete with the Eastern Europeans!!

Hi guys my first post...............been plastering 25yrs and never known it so bad . Last two yrs have been dodgy to say the least...............Eastern Euros are hard to compete with....pees me off no end.......some are damn good , some are utter pants......i dont blame them for coming here, but its not a level playin field...if you have a mortgage etc you need to earn a certain amount......if your in a 3 bed semi and sharing with 8 other Guys from Poland/Albania etc , you can do it for a whole lot cheaper.

i think the main thing is people shouldnt take jobs on that they cant do. thats the whole point of working for someone and learning through them. u always end up coming up against things ur not sure on and thats why u ask someone who might know, but generally u can do 99% of things and its just to help u out with something ur not 100% on. but anything i couldnt do, ie first mono job, i paid someone to do it with me and get taught on the job.

With been over this same old ground before . We have an open borders with other eu members hence a flood of workers coming into the uk to work.
We are now in a downturn and the work not out there for everyone. We can not compete with a person who expences a very little to us who live in the uk fact. We have to deal with it the best we can but this does not stop
him worry about the bills which in it self brings big problems. The chancers will fall by the wayside there just cannon fodder when you compare to pro , and word of mouth is everything in this game.
If the grass is greener in the other fellow's yard-let him worry about cutting i'.

exactly....I think its probably just an excuse...

reputation will proceed you.... I dont think coursers are the problem as most of them dont actually get very far and those that do turn out to be good spreads...

Most of the coursers I know got work through friends or family and most of the time they would not even bother getting the lid skimmed in the first place.... Just be better than the rest and you will be ok....

The general public wont have a polish guy in their house... even if the price is cheap.

The trade is f**k*d cos the gov f**k*d it nothing else

lets face it its a dog eat dog world you have to use some initiative to get work,then when you ve got the work you have to do a professional no moaning on time job,then go and use your initative and get more work.

its tuff out there dont sit at home waiting for work to find you

Danny it must be different in mk then, in cov they don't give a flying **** where you are from. If you are the cheapest they will use you. Last job I priced before I went with this insurance company was a bedroom. Knock off and dab therma boards on 2 walls, one being an arkward bay, skim the ceiling and all the walls, the lad that got the job was half my price and I only priced it on basic day rate no profit...

As long as the redundencies keep comin there will be loads of people off to training centres, redudency cash in hand to become tiliers, brickies and plasterers on short courses. Chancers will only last so long. THere are only so many jobs you can balls up before you think "swerve this".

THere was a fella on my course at certaincolourtrowel when i went 4 yrs back who after never having touched a trowel was pricing up rendering a large gable end on his todd. He was 2 weeks into a 4 week course which was entirely an internal course.

I advised him not to:-0 bother

why would any one want to do this job is beyond me i was suckered into it by my old man i reckon i was on my to being a drug dealer i could of been minted now instead i am scaping pennys together to buy a pie mmmmm pie.

Hi guys my first post...............been plastering 25yrs and never known it so bad . Last two yrs have been dodgy to say the least...............Eastern Euros are hard to compete with....pees me off no end.......some are damn good , some are utter pants......i dont blame them for coming here, but its not a level playin field...if you have a mortgage etc you need to earn a certain amount......if your in a 3 bed semi and sharing with 8 other Guys from Poland/Albania etc , you can do it for a whole lot cheaper.
Hi mate and welcome, what you are saying is black and white and how it is on site round our way, the Sun said it all today but ime beginning to believe that saturation point is near, ime doing mostly extensions now , the whole build and ive got a few old mates who are in the same game and we are all busy we are talking £50000 to £80000 jobs and all charge round about the same money but our customers wont use Easterns they have heard the stories and aint gonna pass that kind of money over to them, funnily enough my present client is Chinese, my last one was Italian and my next one is Italian.

They dont give a s**t about H&S these foreign types

How the bollox do you do smilies anyway

Attachments

• safety-first23.jpg
    safety-first23.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
no offence if theres any italinas against them ive not really got anything against them but every one ive worked for has been a complete arsehole and theres alot round our way we have a whole area called little italy and its proberly over half of our town now.
its mainly the sicilians actually that are pricks work wise, my mate is italian and he used to labour for me wen he found out bout where our job was he would pre warn me bout what thier like and butter them up by speaking italian to them

Yeah mate i know what you mean and i know Rye road, did you know that the Sicilians from WX come from a completely part of Sicily than the Hodd mob.The Lea Valley has the biggest concentration of Italians in the country other than Bedford where they came to work at LBC in the 50s, anyway the ones i am working for are old school friends and customers who have made it so no probs.

yeah some ive worked for are ok but quite alot are a nightmare round this way.
i think i remember reading somewhere that hertfordshire consumes the largest amount of ragu sauce in the country haha

its like releasing baby animals into the wild except were releasing baby spreads into the wild " not all of em will make it, my guess is the gators will get most of them" (said in steve irwin accent)

just off rye road haha your so close to me i could proberly spit from mine to yours. wheree abouts off rye road are ya would i have seen ya van about?

weve proberly been past eachother hunderds of times mate im down by where the old highway pub used to be

i was goin to say i hope hes not drinking there anymore thiers no roof on it mate haha, its been closed scince september time i think, i never drunk in there i never had the compulsary amount of drugs required to gain entry to such a fine establishment haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.