County Court claim for rusting internal beads, asking for advice.

Members online

Agree with tinytom, you never made the bead, you installed someone else’s. Get them involved and get them to tell you why there bead has done that and use that at court.

If those angles have been sanded and the galvanised top has been taken off on the edge they will rust. That's what the picture looks like to me. Wants sanding again to remove rust then treated with rust killer.. Don't think rust killer kills rust, it don't... You must remove as much of the rust as possible first then treat. Fill. Paint. Do one to prove and use as defence. That's been machanicly sanded imo. Must be for them all to go on the edge and not under the plaster. You need to go dig.. Use vactan rust killer off ebay. Good stuff

Last edited:
Some advice please lads. I have a county court claim against me for rusting internal skim beads. Beads were fitted to existing building and a block extension. Some were stapled on and some stuck with skim. We used beads from 2 different suppliers on the job and they're from 2 different manufacturers. Got a call after a few months about the rusting beads. Nearly all of the beads have rusted. There were no cavity closers on the new build and we put a mono render on the outside of the new build where the plastic weep holes were sticking out an unusually long way at all different angles. It's a ground floor building.
Fair enough in law I accept if I supplied beads and they're faulty it's on me and then I have to put it right or chase the supplier or both but In this case it seems highly unlikely that beads from two different suppliers are at fault. I'm disputing the claim as I think there's some other problem here. I could fix the problem for it to arise again and it's a business why should I rectify a problem that I strongly believe isn't my fault.

Any ideas why nearly all the beads would rust? It's something that's never happened to me before or any of the lads I know.
have u been scraping them with a metal trowel and took off galvanize?

Gee. You would need to scrape for ages to take off the galvanised coating and do every one with enthusiasm. If just on the edge and not under that proves it.. Imo.. Remove one and look as no way would it just rust on the edge if faulty

Something is pointing towards the decorator I think he's been on the grinder!! Does he know you or sommat I bet you shagged his Mrs? IL show him I won't head butt him IL go round and sand all his f**k**g beads to bits! That'll f**k**g show him to mess with me... Dr evil laugh:frenetico:

It’s looks like nothing major to me easy fix ! 1 don’t use the same supplier for beads again 2 pay a painter to correct or give the bloke enough money to shut him up.the bloke clearly sees this as a opportunity to make money or claw some back make him a responsible offer in writing! Move on

Can't see it being the beads, have you checked a moisture reading around they beads, were staples used stainless steel.

f**k it . Just go court and say got to be faulty beads and your chasing it up with them . Tell em you.ll remove one and repair and send it back to get checked.
Then tell em it will settle and until then get loads of magnets from cleethorpes to stick on .
Bacardi it makes me happy @algeeman getting warm over here

Something is pointing towards the decorator I think he's been on the grinder!! Does he know you or sommat I bet you shagged his Mrs? IL show him I won't head butt him IL go round and sand all his f**k**g beads to bits! That'll f**k**g show him to mess with me... Dr evil laugh:frenetico:
This is the most likely explanation so far.

I've run a steel trowel down every single bead (got that @John j BEAD) I've worked to for the last thirty-seven years. On top of that I regularly sand down the arris to leave them neat and clean. None of this has taken the galvanizing off or caused the beads to rust. Ever!
My guess is that either the house was left closed up during the winter months and the board adhesive hung wet for too long, I've seen this just once and on just the one bead, or the tosher has gone totally mad and sanded of the galv off. But I'm not sure if that's even possible.

My 2 penny's worth!

The customer is correct to blame you.

You are then correct to blame supplier.

The problem that you have is in proving that said beads were bought and used on this particular job.

You will loose this case at court/have to offer to redo/compensate the customer and rightly so imo not that its your fault directly but indirectly.

Your defence needs to be all about the quality of beads supplied and counter claiming with the merchants who in turn will then have to claim against manufacturer etc.

Unless the house is under extreme damp conditions and is localised damp issues showing around every area where beads are installed.

I feel for you on this pal!

I've run a steel trowel down every single bead (got that @John j BEAD) I've worked to for the last thirty-seven years. On top of that I regularly sand down the arris to leave them neat and clean. None of this has taken the galvanizing off or caused the beads to rust. Ever!
My guess is that either the house was left closed up during the winter months and the board adhesive hung wet for too long, I've seen this just once and on just the one bead, or the tosher has gone totally mad and sanded of the galv off. But I'm not sure if that's even possible.
My point is if another plasterer had shagged our lass and I thought I.ll sand all his beeds so they rust instead of head butting him . I can guarantee I.ll do one BEAD and think neither of em are worth other 39 . Then i.d f**k of to Thailand and get minging

Gee. You would need to scrape for ages to take off the galvanised coating and do every one with enthusiasm. If just on the edge and not under that proves it.. Imo.. Remove one and look as no way would it just rust on the edge if faulty
The customer wants a grand to get it repaired, don't see why I should pay. Simply that
you did job so customer has to let you back in to fix fault

Still surprised no one has noticed the paint bubbling up and the s**t hanging off the corner of the bead. So I no who I’d be pointing my finger at. I run my trowel up and down every bead I fit. Duck getting dirty fingers.

Still surprised no one has noticed the paint bubbling up and the s**t hanging off the corner of the bead. So I no who I’d be pointing my finger at. I run my trowel up and down every bead I fit. Duck getting dirty fingers.
Ducks dont have fingers mate

any beads i have seen rust have all to do with water ingress cant see any sanding having a effect on a bead,constant damp conditions i would say.
That's why one needs to be removed. If rust on the edge only and all of them are the same then it can't be damp. They rust from under the plaster first, as the corner edge gets it last. I want to look at a bead removed... I've sanded the metal edges on jobs and it rusted through when I painted and happens quickly like 2 days

Take one off and check to see if the rust is just the corner , if its throughout point at the supplier , if its the corner point at the painter , then point at the customer and tell him " thanks for your custom and don't call again "

I'd go in, sand blistered paint, decent dampproof paint, then stainblock, then repaint . That will sort unless the water is still pouring through which is what I think the cause is.