County Court claim for rusting internal beads, asking for advice.

oneandl

Some advice please lads. I have a county court claim against me for rusting internal skim beads. Beads were fitted to existing building and a block extension. Some were stapled on and some stuck with skim. We used beads from 2 different suppliers on the job and they're from 2 different manufacturers. Got a call after a few months about the rusting beads. Nearly all of the beads have rusted. There were no cavity closers on the new build and we put a mono render on the outside of the new build where the plastic weep holes were sticking out an unusually long way at all different angles. It's a ground floor building.
Fair enough in law I accept if I supplied beads and they're faulty it's on me and then I have to put it right or chase the supplier or both but In this case it seems highly unlikely that beads from two different suppliers are at fault. I'm disputing the claim as I think there's some other problem here. I could fix the problem for it to arise again and it's a business why should I rectify a problem that I strongly believe isn't my fault.

Any ideas why nearly all the beads would rust? It's something that's never happened to me before or any of the lads I know.

Where did you get beeds from . Had a beed laid on my drive for about 2 months and it's still not.rusted

Some from a local merchant and others from an online supplier. Had boxes of them previously with no problems. I know, a bit of waste off one of the beads was left in one of the lads I work with garden all winter, it's still there now and no signs of rust.

It’s a drying out issue, no ventilation when drying. I’m assuming you mean the flange not the spine of it. Any pictures?

Looks like the whole bead in one of the pictures, flange and spine with the pain blistering. What do you think?

How many beads are we talking about? If it’s only a couple couldn’t you get some plastic arch beads and chop them in the. Patch up with easy fill?

Probably used about 35 to 40 beads. Just don't see how it's my fault that beads rust and the beads can't be faulty from two different manufacturers. In my mind I can't see how it's down to me. Never had a problem before. There's got to be a reason.

You’ve scraped the galvanizing off when using trowel to clean down beads.

If it was the whole bead it would rust through the paint on edges

Surely we all scrape down the bead on every job though? I can't imagine he's randomly gone to town on it

I think it depends on what you scrape your beads down with.....I never use my trowel always use side of brush or just me fingers,the galvanized coating on these beads is micro thin doesn't take much to get through to the metal underneath.
Also leaving instructions to the customers not to scrape/sand beading before decorating.

I think it depends on what you scrape your beads down with.....I never use my trowel always use side of brush or just me fingers,the galvanized coating on these beads is micro thin doesn't take much to get through to the metal underneath.
Also leaving instructions to the customers not to scrape/sand beading before decorating.
I.run trowel up 99percent of.time if.i.ve not.done both side. Never known em ton rust

Same. Side of brush or finger. Have used trowel but it’s a bad habbit.

Also if he’s left it late n gears set a bit theres more chance the coating will come off

Same. Side of brush or finger. Have used trowel but it’s a bad habbit.

Also if he’s left it late n gears set a bit theres more chance the coating will come off
Think I've used my trowel on every job for the last 10 years lol, then run a brush up afterwards

Thing is I bought 2 boxes online (100 beads total) this batch, used them before this as well. Used most of them on a job before this one. We didn't have enough of them for this job so got some expamet from the local merchants. Both types of beads have rusted. We've had no problems on any other jobs even with the same batch of beads or the expamet. It seem improbable and highly unlikely to me to be a bead issue. It's specific to this job. We haven't done anything we wouldn't normally do or haven't done many times before without problems.?

Thing is I bought 2 boxes online (100 beads total) this batch, used them before this as well. Used most of them on a job before this one. We didn't have enough of them for this job so got some expamet from the local merchants. Both types of beads have rusted. We've had no problems on any other jobs even with the same batch of beads or the expamet. It seem improbable and highly unlikely to me to be a bead issue. It's specific to this job. We haven't done anything we wouldn't normally do or haven't done many times before without problems.?

It’s sounding more like the decorator done something or if painted properly you wouldn’t see the bead at all