Cheap alternative to mixing drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeT

Would a budget corded hammer drill be a cheap alternative to a mixer drill if I would only be using to mix up small amounts? I've got a small paddle that someone gave me and you can pick up drills for next to nothing. Beats using a stick . My mum is going to let me loose on a box room that needs skimming so gives me a good bit of practice.

Was looking for something cheap just to get me through this weekend. I have hand mixed so what I really should be asking is would a cheap as chips drill with a paddle be up to mixing half buckets?

Was looking for something cheap just to get me through this weekend. I have hand mixed so what I really should be asking is would a cheap as chips drill with a paddle be up to mixing half buckets?
Of course it would.... It'll probably take a bit longer than an expensive mixing drill but it'll surely mix a couple of half buckets!

I ordered one of the £50 red 1400w mixers off eBay to keep by me they feel a lot better made then expected and a decadent paddle. Must admit I actually prefer it now to the ancient refina we have at work! Will do 3 bags no stress and can get dab nice and thick can't really comment on the longevity yet but pretty much guarantee it will do a better job then a drill.

A £15 argos drill will mix half buckets no problem. Might only last the weekend though.

started typing by a podger and learn how to mix by hand as always good to be able to then starting think about it and thought how any times have I actualy knocked by hand over last 10yrs errrrm probabley about 3 times think on 4th occasioned I just moaned and went home!!!!!! lol

Mate bought the Aldi special. See memes cheap at £40 bought it smokes when you mix one bag of finish and after maybe 20 uses the paddle bent. I bought a 1800 watt Cheapo on ebay bout £70 and it's lasted me four yrs (part time) if it breaks I will buy another...

Would a budget corded hammer drill be a cheap alternative to a mixer drill if I would only be using to mix up small amounts? I've got a small paddle that someone gave me and you can pick up drills for next to nothing. Beats using a stick . My mum is going to let me loose on a box room that needs skimming so gives me a good bit of practice.

If you do get one of these. Dont use thr hammer setting. You wany just a cheap corded drill. Im sure b n q 's own brands will be cheap enough

started typing by a podger and learn how to mix by hand as always good to be able to then starting think about it and thought how any times have I actualy knocked by hand over last 10yrs errrrm probabley about 3 times think on 4th occasioned I just moaned and went home!!!!!! lol

If I want a proper early start on site during the summer. Im quite happy to knock a 3 bagger up with a podger. Or the 18v l ion battery drill will p1ss a 3 bag mix.

get a 1 x 1 timber flatten out two bits of skim bead about 4'' long and nail to end of timber, will do for a boxroom.. cost ya nothing, anything else and get a proper mixing drill...

Just buy a £12 plodger from Wickes for **** sake. Plastered hundreds of full houses using nothing more. If mixing up a bit of skim is to hard work for you you're not cut out for plastering IMHO.

Ps @essexandy , is that labourer still alive, god if I got a lab to mix like this for a day now, he would have a melt down.

Last edited by a moderator:
@johniosaif I used to labour on myself a lot of the time even when employing other spreads, I used to like the freedom of working on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
@johniosaif I used to labour on myself a lot of the time even when employing other spreads, I used to like the freedom of working on my own.
Lots of us are from that era ANDY, couldn't imagine mixing it by podger now, but. I often bet with the labourer a weeks wages for a race mixing a bucket, him with the drill ,me with the stick and podger,they always bottle it, ha ha

I have a dewalt mixer in my garage that i have used for a few years mixing up drywall. It has sat in the same place for at least 18 months. I even bought a new paddle for it but never fitted it. I will check that it still runs fine, but i am sure it will. GeorgeT , I have read some of your posts and you seem a decent lad that just wants to learn the trade. With this if you want the mixer and the new paddle their yours. All i ask is if you can help me a bit on the courier cost. If i find any other tools that i don't use whist pulling this out if your interested , You may well end up with a surprise in the box. I was where you are now a few years back and i know what its like. I hope if i can help you out i will

I have a dewalt mixer in my garage that i have used for a few years mixing up drywall. It has sat in the same place for at least 18 months. I even bought a new paddle for it but never fitted it. I will check that it still runs fine, but i am sure it will. GeorgeT , I have read some of your posts and you seem a decent lad that just wants to learn the trade. With this if you want the mixer and the new paddle their yours. All i ask is if you can help me a bit on the courier cost. If i find any other tools that i don't use whist pulling this out if your interested , You may well end up with a surprise in the box. I was where you are now a few years back and i know what its like. I hope if i can help you out i will

top man, very decent.
ps I need a wife?

Nicely done bud :D

fair play chris

Nicely done bud :D

Some of us are in a lucky situation where a tool though it be second hand can help young lads out that want to get in the trade properly. After reading some of Georges posts i feel he is one of the few lads that are as keen as mustard. Few and far between these days.

Some of us are in a lucky situation where a tool though it be second hand can help young lads out that want to get in the trade properly. After reading some of Georges posts i feel he is one of the few lads that are as keen as mustard. Few and far between these days.

Your not wrong bud spoke a couple of time over pm with George he's a nice fella without doubt :)

cant sound like you chris spanky said he was a nice fella:RpS_thumbup:
fair play to ya though chris well done that man
Cheap alternative to mixing drill

If you don't take that offer up mate, and ime sure you will the Aldi Liddle mixers last a year or thereabouts with constant use or get down a car boot ive picked up a couple 110v Makita sds drills for £8 and you can get a paddle what fits straight in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.